In Theory, Would a Peaceful Islamic Caliphate Have Merit? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:33:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  In Theory, Would a Peaceful Islamic Caliphate Have Merit? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Theory, Would a Peaceful Islamic Caliphate Have Merit?  (Read 2360 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« on: September 21, 2014, 08:18:28 PM »

I've also come to accept that Western-style social liberal secularism is not the only legitimate path for people in the region to follow. When given the vote, at the very least, nominally Islamist parties such as AKP win (and this in a country considered more moderate than the Arab countries).

The AKP is not nominally "Islamist", but officially advocates for a "conservative democracy". The overzealous Turkish secularist institutions (the military and the constitutional court) banned previously the existing Islamist parties or ejected them from power, as it happened with Erbakan. Of course, the AKP is rooted in said parties and it could be defined as "moderate Islamist" or "Muslim-democrat" (something like a vague equivalent of the Christian Democracy), but Erdogan would reject such characterisations. Actually, Turkey and the AKP have had a singular evolution. Perhaps this article might help to understand it:

http://www.brookings.edu/research/papers/2012/04/24-turkey-new-model-taspinar

As for the first part of the paragraph, I tend to agree. I think we cannot expect that other countries are going to trace our model with carbon paper. Perhaps it'd be more realistic trying to export some basic concepts on democracy and human rights, in order that other countries will adapt them to their realities, cultural contexts, systems of beliefs, etcetera. In any case, such processes are slow and gradual, with ups and downs (see "Arab Spring").
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:48:44 AM »

I should also point out that unless it includes Spain (and Israel) it's not a Caliphate.

Why do you say that?

Who knows why. It'd be cooler reestablishing the independent Caliphate in Cordoba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliphate_of_C%C3%B3rdoba
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies