Do You Live in an Urban, Suburban, Exurban, or Rural Area? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:46:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do You Live in an Urban, Suburban, Exurban, or Rural Area? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following choices best describes the developed environment you live in?
Urban

Suburban

Exurban

Rural

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Do You Live in an Urban, Suburban, Exurban, or Rural Area?  (Read 5913 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: September 20, 2014, 08:09:44 PM »

Suburban in Jersey terms, but I would imagine most of the country would look at most of NJ and consider it urban. 

I'll use the term sub-urban. 

The exact opposite of this. Urban in Tennessee terms, but most people would look at it and say suburban. 1950s ranch houses on quarter acre lots as far as the eye can see.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 10:55:03 PM »

Small towns also have the urban and suburban divisions. Common features in a small town downtown area include a town square, a county courthouse or municipal offices, a post office, an (often unused) old single screen movie theater, the remains of an old shopping district that has long since been replaced by a suburban WalMart. And then on the fringes of the town, you have single family homes, often with large yards, and, in many cases, trailer parks.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 08:05:16 PM »

Small towns also have the urban and suburban divisions. Common features in a small town downtown area include a town square, a county courthouse or municipal offices, a post office, an (often unused) old single screen movie theater, the remains of an old shopping district that has long since been replaced by a suburban WalMart. And then on the fringes of the town, you have single family homes, often with large yards, and, in many cases, trailer parks.

There's a very distinctive small town downtown that exists just about everywhere in Minnesota that has a four digit population. It's basically like a strip mall, but with all local businesses, usually something like some real estate office, accounting or law firm, sometimes even a dentist, and also bars together. And usually some quirky gift shop type places. Even most of the suburbs have "downtowns" along the lines of this.

Small towns in southwest Minnesota also sometimes have a weird type of parking I've never seen anywhere else, basically instead of the standard parking lot you find in most strip malls or the diagonal parking you find at most of the type listed above, they instead have parking in the middle of the road and then you can walk to the businesses on either side. I have never seen it anywhere east or north of Mankato.
Not sure if this is exactly what you are talking about, but they do the parking in the center thing along Broad Street, which is a major road, in Philadelphia. It was very surprising to me the first time I saw it. Maybe some of the Philly area posters can comment further about this further.
http://goo.gl/maps/3ETng
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies