Buffalo Wild Wings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:58:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Buffalo Wild Wings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Buffalo Wild Wings?
Hell yeah!!!

just kill me now

pass me another roll of tissue, will ya?

never been there/never heard of it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Buffalo Wild Wings  (Read 1582 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 12:03:30 AM »

Never been there, I only go to gay sports bars.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 09:36:46 AM »

1. Sounds like pretty much every chain restaurant, except that the "Italian" ones don't do televisions.
2. You're a bad tipper. Was the service bad as well?
3. Bushie has eaten that type of food every day for 32 years.

1.  We had some other threads about some other restaurants and as I recall those I'd eaten at didn't really put me off the way this one did.  This one really struck me as special.
2.  I'm a bad tipper?!  You must not hang around chinese people very often.  Anyway, I just did a quick calculation and I see that I left about 13.6 percent of the pre-tax value of the food ordered.  I do not regard that as a "bad" tip, but I suppose that such propositions are necessarily normative.  Was the service bad?  No.  It was adequate.  Not much service was required, really.  Walk ten feet from the kitchen to my table, ask me what I want, walk back to the kitchen, walk back to my table 15 minutes later with my food.  Come back thirty minutes after that and ask me if I want anything else, and when I say no bring me my check.  Pretty hard to screw that up I'd imagine.
3.  I actually thought about Bushie as I was making the thread.  Sad, but true.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »

Even before angus' novel on the place I wouldn't consider stepping into one.  Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 09:45:57 AM »

If you're voluntarily paying more than 50 cents per wing, you're being robbed.

I would think "involuntarily" would need to be in there for one to be robbed, but hey, what do I know?

I was thinking of group outings and event fare. Sometimes circumstances constrain our choices.

I've noticed that places that charge a certain amount "per wing" have very misleading prices.  I've seen people get charged exactly twice as much as they should be charged in almost all instances.  It seems that when they say "per wing" they actually mean "per half wing."  Actually, not even that.  They serve the humerus separate from the part with the ulna and radius, and call each of those pieces "a wing."  Moreover, they often don't even serve the part with the phalanges, so it's really only a third of a wing that gets counted as "a wing."

Not that this part affects me.  That's the one part of the chicken that I avoid and I encourage my son to avoid it as well.  The battery of antibiotics and vaccines given to chickens are given in the wing, and even in a chicken with a healthy circulatory system there will be a greater concentration of those agents in the wing than in any other body part.  It was to my relief, in fact, when I discovered that Buffalo Chicken Wings serves items other than chicken wings.  I was willing to eat wings, if that's all they had, because it won't kill you if you don't eat them every day, but it's not something I'd order if there are other things on the menu.

I actually prefer the heart of the chicken over all the other bits, but unfortunately many chicken places don't have that on the menu.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 10:28:08 AM »

FWIW, my favorite wings here in Memphis come from a little Vietnamese place called Pho Saigon. They're really good about making them extra crispy and oh so delicious. Sadly, like every other Vietnamese place in America, the service isn't very good. It's amazing how you can go on yelp, check out a random city's Vietnamese restaurant, and I can guarantee you that half of the comments will be something along the lines of "Their food is amazing, but the staff isn't very friendly or very quick." Probably a function of the big chains not yet consuming the market. As far as I know, there is no Olive Garden, PF Changs, or Buffalo Wild Wings of Vietnamese food. Just a bunch of weary Vietnamese refugees turned restaurateurs working their family restaurant 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, mostly in dingy parts of town.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 10:34:29 AM »

Just a bunch of weary Vietnamese refugees turned restaurateurs working their family restaurant 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, mostly in dingy parts of town.

And dingy places that probably barely eek out a passing grade from the health department.   But those are the best places in town.....
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 11:15:37 AM »

Bunch of them here too.  I've been to six Vietnamese places in Lancaster County, and I'm aware of two others that I haven't been to yet.  They're all small and all smelly and all make delicious food.  One place is called Phở King.  Love that name.

I haven't tried their chicken wings, but I have tried other chicken dishes there.  I generally get the kitchen sink phở xe lửa when I go to those places.  Mmmmm, tripe. 

There's a place called Saigon Cafe near the library, and the next time we're there around lunchtime I'll lobby for that rather than barfood.

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 11:49:46 AM »

There's a great Thai/Vietnamese place with locations in Portland, Oregon and Brooklyn, Pok Pok, that does great fish sauce wings.  Definitely the best wings I've ever had and a very cool restaurant, particularly the Portland location. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »

Horrible horrible place, I ate there almost every week for like two plus years. towards the end on my way there I would hope the place had burned down so I didn't have to eat there anymore.

?

Couldn't you just not go there if you didn't want to? Hoping the place gets burned down seems a little excessive, don't you think?

You can ask for your check any time you like, but you can never leave.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »

Never been there, but one of them opened up not too long ago near the university I attend.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »

Horrible horrible place, I ate there almost every week for like two plus years. towards the end on my way there I would hope the place had burned down so I didn't have to eat there anymore.

What?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 05:53:51 PM »

I'm a big fan.  My friends and I go weekly to watch football.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 01:22:51 PM »

As Nix pointed out, wings are a ripoff.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »

They opened up one in Starkville a few months after I left. Too bad, because I would've been there once or twice a week for sure.

Since its come to Starkville I can honestly say that it is my least favorite place to go in town. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2014, 04:42:24 PM »

What?

Someone explain?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »

Watch Blackhawks games there and enjoy their wings.

Wouldn't go as far to say it is "the best," however. Let's calm down.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 06:32:43 PM »

The sports bar has been around for a while, but the type with walls of videos really came into its own with the commercial availability of the flat screen TV. I remember visiting one in the late 1990's when large plasma screens were really new and thinking that it was pretty cool. Now there are any number of individual sports bars in my area, all will lots of TVs and similar menus that concentrate on sandwiches and appetizers (like wings). Many have game and trivia feeds, too. BWW strikes me as a national chain version of that.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 08:29:53 PM »

I'm now getting google ads from Buffalo Wild Wings. Hilarious.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies