Buffalo Wild Wings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:12:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Buffalo Wild Wings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Buffalo Wild Wings?
Hell yeah!!!

just kill me now

pass me another roll of tissue, will ya?

never been there/never heard of it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Buffalo Wild Wings  (Read 1565 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »
« edited: September 20, 2014, 08:20:48 PM by angus »

The boy and I cycled to the public library after swimming a bit this morning, arriving about 11:45 AM.  We were hungry and about 3.5 miles from home so I said I'd buy us something in this neighborhood.  Lots of choices in a ten-block radius.  Chinese, Vietnamese, pizza, Chipotle, Tom+Chee, burgers, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc.  He wanted Buffalo Wild Wings.  I asked, "are you sure?" and he was quite sure.  He's been wanting to go there for some time.  We'd never been there so I didn't know what to expect.  There's no bicycle rack so we locked up to a bench in the front.  As soon as we entered we were hit with a very high noise level.  A referee's voice and crowds cheering.  It was a football game:  Michigan State at Eastern Michigan.  (Spartans winning 49-0 at the moment.)  But that wasn't all.  There were at least 15 big screen televisions mounted on the wall.  Luckily only one had the volume turned up.  There was college football, soccer, auto racing, and some other stuff.  An epileptic's nightmare.  Not only that, they give each person a little tablet computer on which you can play videogames or Texas Hold 'Em while awaiting the arrival of your food.  It's definitely an unusual ambiance, and an acquired taste.  After a few minutes, I think I managed to acquire it.  Or at least enough of it to tune out the speakers blaring above our heads.  Although I couldn't help being mesmerized the constant barrage of video from all directions.

The serving wench came and I ordered a Caribbean Jerk Chicken sandwich (comes with fries) and a 22-ounce Dogfish IPA.  The boy ordered peppercorn popcorn chicken (comes with fries) and a mango lemonade.  We also had a bucket of onion rings with some smoky, creamy, spicy orange-colored sauce.  Heavy, greasy food.  I got most of the way through mine.  He got about a quarter of the way through his.  The bill came to $35.81.  Upon receiving the check, I left 40 dollars on the table and quickly headed to the john for a giant, bowl-staining, gut-wrenching dump, but not before spending about three minutes washing the oil off my hands and fingers.  My gut is really cramped right now, even after that huge movement.  I knew we couldn't handle the 3.5-mile ride home immediately, so I unlocked our bicycles and we headed to the library.  We're going to hang out here at the library for a while.  Being that it's International Peace Day (who knew?), the kids are making Peace Pinwheels and there will be Rainbow Loom Bracelets starting in a couple of minutes.  That'll keep the boy busy.  I may just take a nap.  That beer alone was probably about a thousand calories, and my eyelids are droopy.  I think I'll grab a fat, boring nonfiction book to help put me to sleep.  There's a huge volume entitled "The Decline and Fall of the British Empire 1781-1997" just to my right.  That should do it.  

The serving wench gave us a little box to put the remainder (the majority) of his shrimp in before we left, which I deposited in the fridge in the breakroom at the public library.  If I remember to snag it on the way out, and if it doesn't go nasty on the ride home, I'll probably finish that later.

I can't imagine ever eating there again under any circumstances.  
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 01:29:14 PM »

It's a decent option if you are in a city other than your team's for football.  Hell, they even have all the NHL games.  I was able to catch a couple really important regular season games for the Rangers last spring in Chicago.  Food's okay.  You can do worse. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »

Never been to one (although they are around), but I am familiar with that kind of ambience and certainly that kind of food, and I don't much care for either. If I get stuck in a joint like that, I usually order some sort of chicken based dish, perhaps a chicken salad (places like that usually serve large salads), or else seafood if they have it (and it's usually salted to the hilt and garnished). Wings, BBQ, sauces, dips, cheese-laden dishes I don't go for. And it's absolutely nasty reheated because there's such a mess of grease and sauce and whatever. Good luck if you reheat any of that!

Nah, a local Italian or Mediterranean spot is where I'm in restaurant heaven.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »

I've lived close to a few of them and haven't ever gone. I don't like wings in the first place.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »

Never did crack that heavy book.  I took it off the shelf and lugged it around to the Rainbow Loom room, then to a sofa where I sat it down beside me, and then grabbed it and headed toward the men's room, but the sign on the door reminded me that "NO BOOKS OR OTHER LIBRARY MATERIALS ALLOWED IN THE REST ROOMS UNLESS THEY HAVE BEEN CHECKED OUT."  Presumably they understand that once people take them home they read them on the throne.  Then I forgot all about the book.  

The ride home was a slow one.  We cut through the golf course and dodged balls and carts.  Got screamed at by a few golfers.  Probably cut half a mile off the journey that way.  

The shrimp survived.  I gave it to my wife and she put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes and ate it.  She said that she liked it.  

I'm still bloated from lunch, so it'll be light dinner tonight.  To Fu and bokchoy in garlic.  I don't even think I'd enjoy a touch of the grape tonight.  Probably just have a martini or two.  

Maybe we'll try Chipotle Grill next time we're in that neighborhood.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 06:26:22 PM »

We were out of bokchoy, so it was broccoli instead.  And pork, thai chilis, jalapenos from my garden, and green onions were all introduced to the To Fu.  Mmmmmm.

Can't stomach a "touch of the grape?"  Who am I kidding?  I had no trouble finishing a bottle of Hayes Cabernet.  Well, nearly finishing.  By the time I retire, I'm sure it'll be history.  And so will the olives at the bottom of the martini which I'm sure will follow that last glass.

Anyway, I can no longer detect any taste of the Buffalo Wild Wings experience in my mouth.  I suppose I could have brushed my teeth, but a home-cooked meal and a bottle of savory red wine is a much more satisfying way to dispense with the flavor of my lunch. 

Anyway, I'm going to go with option 3 on this one.  It's probably not, to use waltermitty-speak, a horrible restaurant (HR), but it's not an experience I want to repeat any time soon.  If I ever find myself herded into a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in the future, I may just take the wise advice offered by DemPGH and go for a large chicken salad.  I'm sure my evacuation will be just as spectacular and as well-turned as it was following the meal I ate today, but probably it will be more satisfying. 

File all this under "white people problems" and go about your business, boys and girls.

Good day.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »

The best
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 06:34:54 PM »

I eat there a lot when I'm in NH. Usually my boys and I make a run down there every other week or so.

also they better make their new sauces a thing. sriracha Purple heart
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »

Can't stomach a "touch of the grape?"  Who am I kidding?  I had no trouble finishing a bottle of Hayes Cabernet. 

Good day.

LOL, yeah. Grin I'm working on a bottle of Bonterra (California) Cabernet. Picked up a couple bottles back when it was on sale.

Glad you survived Buffalo Wild Wings, man. Tongue
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 07:38:03 PM »

Hey man, if you like rioja, the Campo Viejo reserva ($11.99 this week) is about a million times better than the Campo Viejo normal.  They're typically aged about three years longer.  Complex.  Elegant.  Excellent balance between fruit and wood.  Of course, it's from Spain, so expect the palate to contain pepper and clove, but I always eat chiles and spice, so it's all good.  Check it out.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »

too expensive.  hunt the local bars and pubs for $.25/wing specials
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 03:50:51 PM »

Love wings, but I wouldn't eat there.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »

They opened up one in Starkville a few months after I left. Too bad, because I would've been there once or twice a week for sure.
GaussLaw
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 05:01:41 PM »

This.  Parmesean Garlic wings + Mango Habanero (if I'm feeling adventurous) + Mozerella sticks and maybe some beer = awesome time
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 05:25:30 PM »

Parmesean Garlic wings + Mango Habanero (if I'm feeling adventurous) + Mozerella sticks and maybe some beer

Breakfast of champions, no doubt.

Throw in 19 giant television screens all tuned to different channels, and you have the makings of an auspicious start to a productive day.

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 05:47:15 PM »

Parmesean Garlic wings + Mango Habanero (if I'm feeling adventurous) + Mozerella sticks and maybe some beer

Breakfast of champions, no doubt.

Throw in 19 giant television screens all tuned to different channels, and you have the makings of an auspicious start to a productive day.

I totally would do that up here but I can only get the Patriots on streaming. Such is life in Lancaster.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 06:26:45 PM »

Sugar Bowl just doesn't cut it for you?  Wink
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 06:38:15 PM »

Hate wings, hate sports, pretty much the last place you'll ever find me.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »

1. Sounds like pretty much every chain restaurant, except that the "Italian" ones don't do televisions.
2. You're a bad tipper. Was the service bad as well?
3. Bushie has eaten that type of food every day for 32 years.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 07:33:12 PM »

Horrible horrible place, I ate there almost every week for like two plus years. towards the end on my way there I would hope the place had burned down so I didn't have to eat there anymore.
Panda Express

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 08:57:04 PM »

Horrible horrible place, I ate there almost every week for like two plus years. towards the end on my way there I would hope the place had burned down so I didn't have to eat there anymore.

?

Couldn't you just not go there if you didn't want to? Hoping the place gets burned down seems a little excessive, don't you think?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 09:21:29 PM »

The food is great but it's very loud and I'm not much of a sports fan (except the Yankees and occasionally soccer) so I didn't care for the atmosphere (i.e 20 TV's)
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 11:31:02 PM »

Horribly overrated, but good nonetheless.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 11:39:17 PM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even with free refills on pop!? (plus deposit)
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 11:52:01 PM »

B-Dubs!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies