KS: Paul Davis addresses strip club incident
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:55:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KS: Paul Davis addresses strip club incident
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: KS: Paul Davis addresses strip club incident  (Read 3516 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:28:43 PM »

In '98, he was getting a lap dance at a strip club when the cops raided it in search of drugs. Wasn't charged with any crime, business was later shuttered.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 02:22:30 PM »

Wow, Brownback must be desperate. I'm sure the voters will care deeply about a 26 year old bachelor going to a strip club.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »

I think it's just funny. Gives "caught with your pants down" a whole new meaning. Tongue
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 02:36:02 PM »

"Paul Davis is unfit to serve as governor because 16 years ago he was at a strip club"
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »

Posting this story was the absolute worst decision for obvious Minnesotan reasons.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »

Posting this story was the absolute worst decision for obvious Minnesotan reasons.

This, also what a dumb way to blow an election Sad
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:49:10 PM »

How would this blow the election? Obviously this is sad on Brownback's part from my perspective. Then again, I'm not the average Kansan.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 02:55:44 PM »

How would this blow the election? Obviously this is sad on Brownback's part from my perspective. Then again, I'm not the average Kansan.

It's pathetic and shows major desperation on Brownback's part, but Kansas is nothing if not a bible belt state.  Sadly, I could see this giving just enough Republicans an excuse not to vote for Davis for Brownback to win by the skin of his teeth (especially with the Libertarian likely already taking a small but significant number of would-be Davis votes).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »

Also, the ad writes itself: "Who else is Paul Davis in bed with" Sad
pendragon
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »

This is the sort of thing that female voters are decidedly unimpressed by.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 03:51:24 PM »

Brownback really is desperate! I'd gladly trade Brownback to keep Roberts in the Senate (even though I support Orman) just to be rid of this guy. Brownback is by far my least favorite Republican Governor right now.

(Plus, Tom Tancredo told me that his mom is an illegal immigrant postal worker.)
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 03:56:50 PM »

#Shocker.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 04:34:02 PM »

This is so stupid, nobody is going to care about this. Brownback has done to much damage to himself to be saved by a non-story.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 04:49:34 PM »

This is so stupid, nobody is going to care about this. Brownback has done to much damage to himself to be saved by a non-story.

For once, we agree.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »

Weaksauce.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »

Coming soon from the Sam Brownback campaign:

"Paul Davis put his mouth on the breasts of a woman who was not his wife on multiple occasions in 1972."
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »

I'm not a fan of the Kansan anti-Brownback reactionTM, but this would be a decidedly stupid reason to vote against Davis.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 10:37:27 PM »

Does this remind anyone of the whole "woman in the car" story with FitzGerald?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 08:43:14 AM »

Paul Davis sounds like an FF
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 09:13:32 AM »

Kinda, but that story was based alot more on assumptions than proof.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 09:35:06 AM »

Wow. Is anyone seriously going to change their vote on this? If so that's PATHETIC.
KCDem

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »

Paul Davis is clearly a FF.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 10:35:11 AM »

I'm afraid such a comparison would be extremely inaccurate.  The Davis faux-scandal and the FitzGerald scandal differ in a number of key ways.  Let's review the material again, shall we? 

1. Unlike Paul Davis, who had turned this into a lean Democratic race before the strip club incident was revealed, Ed FitzGerald never had a snowball's chance in Detroit of winning.

2. Unlike Paul Davis, who was just getting a lap dance in a strip club 16 years ago and wasn't even been married at the time, FitzGerald was pretty clearly having an affair.  In fact, those who insist he was probably just innocently sitting in an empty parking lot with a woman who wasn't his wife despite the fact that his version of the incident doesn't hold up at all should probably be referred to as "FitzGerald truthers." 

3. Unlike Paul Davis, who by all accounts didn't do anything illegal, Ed FitzGerald was also illegally driving a number of vehicles (including a county car) for about ten years because he didn't bother to get his driver's license renewed (for reasons unknown).  Furthermore, FitzGerald punished multiple individuals for driving without a license even as he himself was doing the exact same thing.

4. Unlike Paul Davis, who hasn't done anything like this, Ed FitzGerald sent out fundraising e-mails shortly after his scandal was reported which made it sound like his son's cancer (IIRC) appeared coming back in a pathetic attempt to raise money off his son's illness and try to distract people from the fact that he (FitzGerald) was imploding after being exposed as a law-breaking, womanizing, hypocrite who no one ever really liked in the first place (except Adam). 

5. Unlike Paul Davis, who is running against a highly unpopular Governor with very few supporters other than people who will reflexively vote for anyone if he/she has an R next to their name, Ed FitzGerald is facing a Governor with average popularity with a solid support base who *used to be* extremely unpopular, but now generally gets a "meh, he's okay, I guess" rating from many Ohioans outside of the Republican party.

6. Unlike Paul Davis, who is still running a very competitive race, Ed FitzGerald has basically all-but-suspended his campaign and only failed to do that because it'd mean his name would be out of the papers and that may well be all he has left Tongue

7. Unlike Paul Davis, whose race is probably now toss-up tilt R at worst, there is no chance FitzGerald can still pull out a win. 

8. Unlike Paul Davis, who won't hurt Democrats in the SoS race or Greg Orman in the Senate race even if Brownback wins, it is pretty much a given that FitzGerald will cost many good Democratic candidates their races (ex: the only statewide officer race that is now even remotely competitive is State Treasurer which has gone from Lean D to right on the border between Lean R and Toss-up tilt-R because of FitzGerald).

Study these notes and you should have no trouble with tomorrow's quiz.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »

I'm afraid such a comparison would be extremely inaccurate.  The Davis faux-scandal and the FitzGerald scandal differ in a number of key ways.  Let's review the material again, shall we? 

1. Unlike Paul Davis, who had turned this into a lean Democratic race before the strip club incident was revealed, Ed FitzGerald never had a snowball's chance in Detroit of winning.

2. Unlike Paul Davis, who was just getting a lap dance in a strip club 16 years ago and wasn't even been married at the time, FitzGerald was pretty clearly having an affair.  In fact, those who insist he was probably just innocently sitting in an empty parking lot with a woman who wasn't his wife despite the fact that his version of the incident doesn't hold up at all should probably be referred to as "FitzGerald truthers." 

3. Unlike Paul Davis, who by all accounts didn't do anything illegal, Ed FitzGerald was also illegally driving a number of vehicles (including a county car) for about ten years because he didn't bother to get his driver's license renewed (for reasons unknown).  Furthermore, FitzGerald punished multiple individuals for driving without a license even as he himself was doing the exact same thing.

4. Unlike Paul Davis, who hasn't done anything like this, Ed FitzGerald sent out fundraising e-mails shortly after his scandal was reported which made it sound like his son's cancer (IIRC) appeared coming back in a pathetic attempt to raise money off his son's illness and try to distract people from the fact that he (FitzGerald) was imploding after being exposed as a law-breaking, womanizing, hypocrite who no one ever really liked in the first place (except Adam). 

5. Unlike Paul Davis, who is running against a highly unpopular Governor with very few supporters other than people who will reflexively vote for anyone if he/she has an R next to their name, Ed FitzGerald is facing a Governor with average popularity with a solid support base who *used to be* extremely unpopular, but now generally gets a "meh, he's okay, I guess" rating from many Ohioans outside of the Republican party.

6. Unlike Paul Davis, who is still running a very competitive race, Ed FitzGerald has basically all-but-suspended his campaign and only failed to do that because it'd mean his name would be out of the papers and that may well be all he has left Tongue

7. Unlike Paul Davis, whose race is probably now toss-up tilt R at worst, there is no chance FitzGerald can still pull out a win. 

8. Unlike Paul Davis, who won't hurt Democrats in the SoS race or Greg Orman in the Senate race even if Brownback wins, it is pretty much a given that FitzGerald will cost many good Democratic candidates their races (ex: the only statewide officer race that is now even remotely competitive is State Treasurer which has gone from Lean D to right on the border between Lean R and Toss-up tilt-R because of FitzGerald).

Study these notes and you should have no trouble with tomorrow's quiz.

Agreed with most of this, but I take issue with 2 and 7. The only evidence which contradicted FitzGerald's version of events was the word of the 911 caller, who easily could've been mistaken or going based solely off assumptions. Just being in a parked car with a woman does not guarantee you're having sex with them. As for 7, I doubt this will effect the race in any way.  If Davis was married at the time, of course, it would be a different story.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »

Why did that guy even call 911 on FitzGerald? That's what I never understood. It wasn't even remotely an emergency.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies