Confirmation Hearing: SirNick for Game Moderator (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:36:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: SirNick for Game Moderator (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: SirNick for Game Moderator (Confirmed)  (Read 1739 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2014, 04:12:33 PM »
« edited: September 24, 2014, 07:14:03 PM by Senator Lumine (PPT) »

Senators, you have up to 72 hours to question the nominee.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:38:49 PM »

Hello everyone.

I think all the Senators are relatively familiar with me, and my past. I served as GM, Governor of the Northeast and was on DemPGH's ticket as VP in October 2013, and ran myself for President this past June.

My first stint as GM went well, but I ultimately resigned because it was a painstaking job. I offered to do the job this time despite my first round as GM because I feel better about it now. Lets be serious though, all GM's end up resigning --just see our last few.

I do have ideas for game engine reform that I'd like to advocate for to the Senate as GM, but other than analysis and narratives, I will mostly stay out of the Senate's hair.

You can also expect the same "format" that I used last time as GM. There are certain things that Averroes did that I liked which I may implement (I can get into that later).

I will not pursue any political positions (i.e party chair) once confirmed as GM.

I'll take any questions you may have.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:07:45 AM »

We need someone in this role quickly and I hope for a speedy confirmation process to enable that.

My question is very simple - do you pledge to provide realistic numbers, not to tweak them to suit your own views and to deliver information the Senate needs within 48 hours of the request?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 04:56:27 AM »

I guess we are not in the position to not take anyone; but nevertheless, I think you will do a very good job.

Would you take use of Senator Cynic's Deputy-GM proposal; or even of a GM News Agency?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:14:04 AM »

You have my support.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 09:19:31 AM »

We need someone in this role quickly and I hope for a speedy confirmation process to enable that.

My question is very simple - do you pledge to provide realistic numbers, not to tweak them to suit your own views and to deliver information the Senate needs within 48 hours of the request?

Well, of course. I'm not perfect, nor am I a professional economic analyst, so if there is a number that I've provided which you doubt, let me know. However, for the sake of the game unless its a complete outlier, I suggest we just keep moving forward once I've reached a conclusion.

I guess we are not in the position to not take anyone; but nevertheless, I think you will do a very good job.

Would you take use of Senator Cynic's Deputy-GM proposal; or even of a GM News Agency?

I'll take use of the proposal.

Thank you for your support!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 01:05:39 PM »

SirNick wants the job and he has my full support. I've known him for quite awhile and I know that he is, if nothing else, very fair and I know he'll work hard at the job.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 04:12:03 PM »

You say you feel better about the job now. About how long do you expect to be able to stay in the position and do you feel that will be enough time to effectuate the necessary changes to the positions as you view them to be necessary? Also what are those changes if any?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 04:40:14 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2014, 04:43:11 PM by SirNick »

You say you feel better about the job now. About how long do you expect to be able to stay in the position and do you feel that will be enough time to effectuate the necessary changes to the positions as you view them to be necessary? Also what are those changes if any?

There will be enough time to implement the changes that I think are necessary in the role of the Game Moderator on its own. It's more a matter of how the GM does business, so to say.  Those changes will be a very strict process of players requesting for an GM analysis as I've done in the past. Averroes used ranges as estimates, I may do the same, I haven't decided if this is something I will pursue.

In terms of game engine reform, that will be an on going process regardless if I'm GM. I don't know if there is a window of opportunity for more comprehensive reform. We'll see. As for more comprehensive changes to the Game Engine, it would pretty much be the platform I ran on when I ran for President...I can go into this if you'd like.

I don't know long how I expect to stay in the position. My hope is at least until the next President is inaugurated. To be truthful, you can expect me to be MIA between October 30th and November 5th due to real world...happenings...
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 04:45:22 PM »

What about the issue of people not respecting the GM's pronouncements/ignoring the statements he makes? Is that something you plan to address in some way and if so, how? 
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:01:15 PM »

What about the issue of people not respecting the GM's pronouncements/ignoring the statements he makes? Is that something you plan to address in some way and if so, how? 

There's no golden solution to that. I think the GM being serious and not having alien invasions helps.

My solution to that, or my attempt at a solution, was kind of hit on by Dr. Cynic's reform proposal which you all are currently voting on. I would appoint Deputy GMs for single (or multiple) regions, and they would do local stories and regional analysis. Hopefully, these GMs can be like police officers on a beat. They'll be familiar with each region, whats going on, and players in the region will know who the Deputy GM is.

I would hope that Deputy GMs would be proactive in getting involved as per offering analyses and more interactive story lines.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »

I'm very comfortable with this nominee and urge a vote as soon as practicable.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »

I second this urge
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 12:42:27 PM »

Do you plan on resigning to run for President the minute the opportunity to do so arises, or are you planning on sticking around as GM this time?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 01:10:53 PM »

I support the nominee, and I believe the last question to be quite unnecessary (to put it midly). A vote can be started tomorrow as 72 hours will have passed, or if there haven't been any questions in the past 24 hours (although that won't be the case).
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 01:17:58 PM »

How is the question that I asked 'quite unnecessary', given SirNick's proven inability to resist the urge to run for President every time the opportunity presents itself?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2014, 01:31:18 PM by SirNick »

Do you plan on resigning to run for President the minute the opportunity to do so arises, or are you planning on sticking around as GM this time?

How is the question that I asked 'quite unnecessary', given SirNick's proven inability to resist the urge to run for President every time the opportunity presents itself?

I'll address the question. I don't plan on resigning to run for President the minute the opportunity to do so arises (assuming that I am GM at the time of said opportunity).  I'm planning on sticking around around as GM --as I've indicated above--until at least when the next President is inaugurated.

Just to add my personal biography for those who aren't familiar, I have run for President once, this past June. I think for a third party we performed well, but ultimately fell short by a handful of votes. I was also a VP nominee in October 2013 for DemPGH.

I have made an endorsement in the October 2014 race, so I guess the "next opportunity" to run for President, would be February 2015. On a silly note, lets assume that Senator TNF's statement is true, that I can't resist the urge to run for President, then you'd have me for at least til then if I wasn't sacked first by the next President Tongue

On a serious note, if I were to run for any office, I would resign first. I've said before I also will serve in no political positions (i.e party Chairman) while serving as GM.

Oh, Senator TNF -- an official list of candidacy declarations can be found here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=168535.0

As GM, I plan to help players find the resources they need to help make decisions.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »

Would you still look at budgets? Or would you do as the last couple of GM's have done and abandon the whole giving numbers thing.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »

Would you still look at budgets? Or would you do as the last couple of GM's have done and abandon the whole giving numbers thing.

Yes, although its going to be simplistic. Overall numbers and not precise.

I will make players go and add in new programs to their budget that they passed in the last session. So if you passed "Really Fun Program" that I previously said cost $10 million in an estimate, you'll be the one adding it to the budget, or else its not going to receive an overall tax revenue estimate.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 04:57:42 PM »

There's no golden solution to that. I think the GM being serious and not having alien invasions helps.

My solution to that, or my attempt at a solution, was kind of hit on by Dr. Cynic's reform proposal which you all are currently voting on. I would appoint Deputy GMs for single (or multiple) regions, and they would do local stories and regional analysis. Hopefully, these GMs can be like police officers on a beat. They'll be familiar with each region, whats going on, and players in the region will know who the Deputy GM is.

I would hope that Deputy GMs would be proactive in getting involved as per offering analyses and more interactive story lines.

As you would appoint the Deputy GM's would there be a confirmation process for them as well?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 05:05:07 PM »

As you would appoint the Deputy GM's would there be a confirmation process for them as well?

I would have to refer to the statute, but if its in there, then I would follow the statute. So yes.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »

So we have a nominee who served all of one month as GM prior, who has admitted that he very well may only serve one month again, has admitted that he'll be absent for one-quarter of that time period and people are chomping at the bit to confirm him? Man, I wish I could have had a confirmation hearing this easy. Tongue

I hate to step on the administration's toes as I know pickings are very slim and confirmation hearings have been a farce for the administration as of late, but I'm amazed at the laxness in all of this. If I didn't know any better, I'd say there was a partisan element in who gets confirmed and who doesn't.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 06:54:30 PM »

So we have a nominee who served all of one month as GM prior, who has admitted that he very well may only serve one month again, has admitted that he'll be absent for one-quarter of that time period and people are chomping at the bit to confirm him? Man, I wish I could have had a confirmation hearing this easy. Tongue

I hate to step on the administration's toes as I know pickings are very slim and confirmation hearings have been a farce for the administration as of late, but I'm amazed at the laxness in all of this. If I didn't know any better, I'd say there was a partisan element in who gets confirmed and who doesn't.

Yes, I have served for about a month as being GM prior. I've addressed this, but you can feel free to doubt my intention to serve again.

Yes, I will be not very active leading up to the real election due to real life concerns, however; prior to October 30th (approx) I should be fine.

I can't commit to after the new President is inaugurated because I serve at the pleasure of the President. I don't know who the new President will be or if he or she will want me to continue on. Anything after the President is inaugurated is purely speculative.

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »

Yep. Clearly, such anti-Labor hacks as Bore, Cynic, Polnut, and Cranberry only want to confirm Sirnick due to their partisan bias.

Anyway, Sirnick, will you give cost analyses for specific pieces of legislation? If so, how will you calculate your cost estimates?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 07:04:57 PM »

Yep. Clearly, such anti-Labor hacks as Bore, Cynic, Polnut, and Cranberry only want to confirm Sirnick due to their partisan bias.

Anyway, Sirnick, will you give cost analyses for specific pieces of legislation? If so, how will you calculate your cost estimates?

Yes. I'll try to use what tools are available to me online to determine what the cost may potentially be in Atlasia. It's hard to do because Atlasia has very much developed differently than the U.S actually has. Nonetheless, I'll try to formulate a decent estimate to keep the game moving.

Players providing me with information they think is relevant, or even a potential cost breakdown is always appreciated.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies