NE1: Budget Sanity Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:44:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Budget Sanity Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: Budget Sanity Amendment (Failed)  (Read 535 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »
« edited: September 27, 2014, 07:31:18 PM by Speaker SWE »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Governor Talleyrand

Debate on this bill will last for 72 hours, or until 3:35 PM on Wednesday, September 24, unless modified or extended. The sponsor has 36 hours to advocate for this proposed legislation. If he does not, this bill will be tabled as there is other pending legislation in the queue.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:20:12 PM »

I'm not a fan of "muh balanced budgets" in the game or real life. Instead of a constitutional mandate to balance budgets in this game, I would rather leave this to the discretion of our lawmakers. Not only does this allow them much more flexibility with spending, it also creates an interesting gameplay dynamic by producing possible deficits and debts. This could create possible tension in elections and be an interesting issue, as one Assembly might have to "clean up the mess" left by another.

Forcing the Northeast government to issue balanced budgets in a document as concrete as our constitution is ridiculous.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 11:54:48 PM »

I agree with Governor Talleyrand's sentiments. The balanced budget amendment restricts the government and stunts the development of our region by creating an unnecessary limit on how much we can spend. I trust the people enough to elect a fiscally responsible government that will not go overboard, so I support this amendment.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:45:04 AM »

I might be leaning no on this to be quite honestly. We've ran surpluses in our fine region for about as long as I can remember, which I feel has helped us establish programs to better serve The People.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »

Don't feel that strongly either way, but I lean in favor. I'm generally not a fan of Balanced budget amendmens, and allowing us to run a deficit can make budget debates more interesting.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:23:05 PM »

I might be leaning no on this to be quite honestly. We've ran surpluses in our fine region for about as long as I can remember, which I feel has helped us establish programs to better serve The People.

If the future Assembles feel that this is the appropriate course of action to go with, then they can still choose to do so. All that this proposal does is create more flexibility and not restrict them.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2014, 06:51:14 PM by Deus Naturae »

I agree with Governor Talleyrand's sentiments. The balanced budget amendment restricts the government and stunts the development of our region by creating an unnecessary limit on how much we can spend. I trust the people enough to elect a fiscally responsible government that will not go overboard, so I support this amendment.
The People might be quicker to elect fiscally irresponsible politicians if those politicians are granted the power to make future generations pay for their irresponsibility. Most people don't care if their government goes overboard on spending, as long as they don't have to pay for it.

Also, deficit spending might make the game more interesting, but it would also make it a lot more complicated. How do you plan on incorporating government bonds, interest payments, and creditors?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »

Also, deficit spending might make the game more interesting, but it would also make it a lot more complicated. How do you plan on incorporating government bonds, interest payments, and creditors?

This is an interesting question. Either, we'd have to oversimplify the deficit process (aka just total up excess spending not covered by revenue), or have to find a G.M. willing to help us handle things like that.

My hope with this is not to produce deficits for the sake of it, but simply to give us more flexibility. And in addition, since this is a game foremost, as you pointed out, this has the potential to make it more interesting.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 06:09:48 PM »

The debating period is now over. Representatives will now vote on this bill, as written:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Voting will last for 48 hours or until all representatives have voted.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »

Aye
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 08:32:55 PM »

Nay
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 06:35:54 AM »

Nay
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 02:14:12 PM »

Aye
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »

The voting period is now over. By a vote of 2-2-1, this amendment fails.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies