Solving Long Term Unemployment Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:02:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Solving Long Term Unemployment Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Solving Long Term Unemployment Act (Debating)  (Read 2666 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: September 23, 2014, 05:53:44 PM »

I agree with the point that Polnut makes and by uplifting them, it will provide a general benefit to the whole economy including boosting demand for the services and goods made by the fields of those in short term unemployment. That will further reduce the time length of their unemployment and raise their wages.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 06:22:32 PM »

Shua, if you would be willing to compose an amendment, I will introduce it for you. I think you are right that there is a concern with what you suggest. I can try to compose something later, but there is a lag time for I cannot compose and introduce all at once, but only at  distance from one another (with a dangerous road in between).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 04:15:46 PM »

Definitely more specific, as to what is in demand, how that is determined and thus what degrees/certifications are covered by this and what are not.

Keep in mind that we consider the labor situation in each field and how much of an influx can be sustained before a problem of too many workers in that field is created.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »

As far as I can tell, the kinds of jobs that are growing are ones that you don't necessarily need a college degree for. Manual labor directly employed in shipping and warehousing is the fastest growing occupation (IIRC) and that honestly doesn't require any kind of specific training whatsoever. IRL this is a low-paid, non-union sector, but I would assume (with stronger unions and labor protections) that this is not the case in Atlasia. We could modify this bill so that the unemployed are put directly to work where needed, as part of a tripartite council of the state, labor, and business.

You need certificates and licensing though and that can cost money. But yeah, shipping and storage rises and falls with the general economy, if the economy is coming back from a deep recession, and retail and whole sale trade is thus growing by substantial amounts, a lot of labor would be needed in that field obviously. That does not make it a strong sector over the long term, more or less a leading sector.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 05:28:35 PM »

I do agree with the need for recertification and such, but that does cost money. I worry about this abolishing tuition fees would effect institutions of learning, particularly community colleges where most of this takes place. How will they be effected as we need to avoid them closing like several hospitals have in real life from lack of sufficient reimbursement.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »

Those numbers seem reasonable.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 06:46:13 PM »

WEll?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 08:02:28 AM »

Nay because Polnut and Doc Cynic are right.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 12:05:53 AM »

Actually you don't have to wait. Since Cynic motion for it and this bill has arguably sat five days with nothing happening.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 01:54:54 AM »

Abstain

I don't feel comfortable being a potential deciding vote on this bill. I missed a lot of the discouse (that week before I got my internet back, and was either working or neighbors were out of town) and whilst I have doubts about the structure of this particular bill, I am fully aware of the need to address the long-term unemployed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies