Why not abolishing the parties?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:03:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Why not abolishing the parties?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why not abolishing the parties?  (Read 793 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:31:18 AM »

I believe that the problem with this game is basically the parties. People don't vote for the candidate, but for his party.

For instance, in the  Northeast, in both the sawx vs Barnes and the Bore vs Matt match up, the far-left will probably side with Barnes and Bore, who are both more moderate than Sawx and Matt, and the center-left/right will probably vote for Sawx and Matt, even if they're both more "progressive" than Bore and Barnes. And why? Because Sawx and Matt are members of TPP, and Barnes and Bore are members of the Labor Party, and TPP is considered as more moderate than Labor. The situation in the Northeast is purely, well, ludicrous?

Of course, even if the parties dissolve, "friendship" between players will remain, but I believe that could significantly improve this game. Candidates would have to focus more on programs and on their record.

What do you think about that?

(oh and, there is absolutely no attack against any of the candidates of the Northeast, I really like the four candidates!)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:34:02 AM »

I believe that the problem with this game is basically the parties. People don't vote for the candidate, but for his party.

For instance, in the  Northeast, in both the sawx vs Barnes and the Bore vs Matt match up, the far-left will probably side with Barnes and Bore, who are both more moderate than Sawx and Matt, and the center-left/right will probably vote for Sawx and Matt, even if they're both more "progressive" than Bore and Barnes. And why? Because Sawx and Matt are members of TPP, and Barnes and Bore are members of the Labor Party, and TPP is considered as more moderate than Labor. The situation in the Northeast is purely, well, ludicrous?

Of course, even if the parties dissolve, "friendship" between players will remain, but I believe that could significantly improve this game. Candidates would have to focus more on programs and on their record.

What do you think about that?

(oh and, there is absolutely no attack against any of the candidates of the Northeast, I really like the four candidates!)

A National Duh Award Winner is you!

Unfortunately, this will never happen Mr. Washington.  I hope you enjoyed your stay in Philadelphia.

-Mechaman
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:37:16 AM »

The extent to which political organizations can become powerful and potentially damaging is a bummer, but accepting for the sake of argument that getting rid of them is ideal, there's really no practical way for that to operate. As human beings we naturally congregate and would just form some other de-facto party system instead.

It's just on us to make sure we remember this is a game and to keep things relatively chill.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:42:30 AM »

Mecha: thank you for this award Tongue.

Marokai:
Well, of course, friendship will never be abolished and that's not my intent. But I believe the current situation of this game will significantly improve if people would not vote because the chairman of their party would tell them to do do.

Without any party, people would have to build themselves their own organization if they want to be elected to something instead of using political organization.  That would be cool to watch that.

Parties have become too powerful, no one can deny that.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:57:28 AM »

It's a very noble idea, but my honest opinion? Things would get far worse. I think that parties and platforms are not only kind of natural, but perhaps help to hold in check the personal allegiances and the inclination for heroics that are roiling underneath the party structure. Remove the party and platform structure, which basically provide some semblance of order, and we'd pretty much have a free-for-all. I'd never want to deal with something like that.

We have a Right and a Left and residual elements in between that seek to form alliances. That's very lifelike, and I think should probably be embraced.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:08:25 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2014, 10:13:32 AM by ZuWo »

When they become registered voters most people choose to affiliate with either Team A, B, C or D and then usually cheer and vote for candidates of their own team. Factors such as qualification, activity and ideology generally don't matter as much as they should. This holds true for real-life politics and is particularly apparent in Atlasia. So what you described is hardly a new thing; whether we like it or not, it's the way this game has always worked.  

My solution: We need more independents and should implement a secret-ballot voting system which both retains the most important feature of Atlasian elections we all enjoy (i.e. the ability to follow the outcome of an election in real time) and does away with voting patterns that are all too partisan.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 10:22:33 AM »

Because it's a terrible idea, Sir Douchebag.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 10:31:34 AM »

It's a very noble idea, but my honest opinion? Things would get far worse. I think that parties and platforms are not only kind of natural, but perhaps help to hold in check the personal allegiances and the inclination for heroics that are roiling underneath the party structure. Remove the party and platform structure, which basically provide some semblance of order, and we'd pretty much have a free-for-all. I'd never want to deal with something like that.

We have a Right and a Left and residual elements in between that seek to form alliances. That's very lifelike, and I think should probably be embraced.

But the problem is that the current system clearly doesn't work: the Northeast.
That would be funny if everyone would be independent. People would have to build themselves, not to use their party machine!

-----------------------
When they become registered voters most people choose to affiliate with either Team A, B, C or D and then usually cheer and vote for candidates of their own team. Factors such as qualification, activity and ideology generally don't matter as much as they should. This holds true for real-life politics and is particularly apparent in Atlasia. So what you described is hardly a new thing; whether we like it or not, it's the way this game has always worked. 

My solution: We need more independents and should implement a secret-ballot voting system which both retains the most important feature of Atlasian elections we all enjoy (i.e. the ability to follow the outcome of an election in real time) and does away with voting patterns that are all too partisan.
Hmmmm, the secret ballot could be interesting.

-----

But why Al? Sad
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 04:27:07 PM »

In absolutely no circumstances could I support an abolishment of political parties. As Al has repeatedly pointed out, the parties originated well before any government in Atlasia and remain pivotal to the organization of this game, which is fundamentally based off of elections.

Yes, ideally people would take into account ideology and activity more into consideration when voting, but there's no way to ensure that at all.

I like ZuWo's idea of secret ballots, and if there's a plausible way we can allow for them, while simultaneously allowing citizens to view results in real time, I'd wholeheartedly support that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »

In order for this to work, everyone would have to want to abolish parties, which would mean some people lose control over the process.  Those who benefit from parties wouldn't want this; thus, you cannot get to a system without parties unless you mandate it, which would be completely unenforceable.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »

I published a way to handle secret ballots some time ago, but it'd require about 10x more work be put into the actual voting booth/elections process than is currently required.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 05:30:33 PM »

I published a way to handle secret ballots some time ago, but it'd require about 10x more work be put into the actual voting booth/elections process than is currently required.

Two step verification?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »

Two step verification?

I don't know where it went (within the past year), but it was a hefty dissertation on the matter.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »

I can't even imagine the awful turnout and general lack of interest that would result.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 09:00:18 PM »

I cannot think of anything worse than government by Independents.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »

I'd argue parties do more good than bad for Atlasia. Not only do they help spur activity so long as they're run correctly, but their interactions with one another (whether friendly or hostile) foster debate and gets people motivated.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies