NE2: 2 Month Term Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:40:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: 2 Month Term Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: 2 Month Term Act (Failed)  (Read 579 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2014, 07:55:20 PM »
« edited: October 05, 2014, 10:51:31 AM by Speaker SWE »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Sponsor: Governor Talleyrand

Debate on this bill will last for 72 hours, or until 8:54 PM on Wednesday, October 1, unless modified or extended. The sponsor has 36 hours to advocate for this proposed legislation. If he does not, this bill will be tabled as there is other pending legislation in the queue.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:26:09 PM »

My hope with this was to increase activity by increasing the number of elections for the region's most important position, but scheduling them in with our off Assembly elections too. If we elect a Governor every two month, they would be less likely to trail off and decrease in activity towards the end of their terms, which we've seen sometimes with the four month terms, and we could have the people make their voices heard far more than we do now.

Of course this isn't a necessary change, but I do think it could really increase activity in regional politics.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »

I support this. More power to the people.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 06:41:16 PM »

I guess this is just an opinion thing.

I'm not sold on this - I like the idea of the office of Governor having more prestige with a four month term. Otherwise it just seems as if he's a Representative with a veto pen instead of a vote.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »

I'm not sold on this - I like the idea of the office of Governor having more prestige with a four month term. Otherwise it just seems as if he's a Representative with a veto pen instead of a vote.

I don't really see the case for that; he'd have all the powers that the Governor currently has, but simply have to face election more. If say we had a Governor who won four terms in a row under the proposed system, it might even be more prestigious than a Governor who won two terms in a row under the current system, if that makes sense.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 10:27:39 PM »

I don't really see the case for that; he'd have all the powers that the Governor currently has, but simply have to face election more. If say we had a Governor who won four terms in a row under the proposed system, it might even be more prestigious than a Governor who won two terms in a row under the current system, if that makes sense.

That would make the poster more prestigious, not the office itself.

As it stands the powers of Governor are fairly limited and I think giving him as long of a term as the Representatives would just dilute the office further.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 06:00:21 PM »

Well, again, the powers themselves wouldn't be reduced, just the length of time served. I see the argument you're making, but I really think more regular elections for this office would be both interesting and weaken inactivity at the same time.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 08:04:42 PM »

The debating period is now over. Representatives will now vote on this bill, as written:

2 Month Term Act

Article III, Section 2 of the Northeast Constitution is amended to read

The Governor must be elected democratically by the people of the Northeast Region. Elections are to be held every February, June, and October February, April, June, August, October, and December for Governor. The appropriate election administrator will open the voting booth between midnight Eastern Standard Time on the Thursday preceding the penultimate Friday of the month in which they otherwise would have started and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the penultimate Friday itself and will close said both the following Sunday at 11:59:59pm EST. Every citizen will be given the opportunity to vote during this time. The Chief Judicial Officer of the Northeast Region must accept any absentee ballot received no more than one week prior to the opening of the polls.[/quote]
[/quote]

Voting will last for 48 hours or until all representatives have voted
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 08:06:57 PM »

As a GM and former Governor, I do not support this bill. We have a hard enough time finding people to fill Assembly seats, now we need to have another election every 2 months. If anything we should be extending Assembly terms due to lack of demand.

The Northeast as of late has over-legislated, and this is a prime example. This won't fix the problem, and will just add more work for other players.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 11:17:08 PM »

Nay
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 11:19:07 PM »

NAY
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 06:27:57 AM »

As a GM and former Governor, I do not support this bill. We have a hard enough time finding people to fill Assembly seats, now we need to have another election every 2 months. If anything we should be extending Assembly terms due to lack of demand.

The Northeast as of late has over-legislated, and this is a prime example. This won't fix the problem, and will just add more work for other players.

Please enlighten us on how the Northeast has been "over-legislated".
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 06:34:08 AM »

NAY
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »