Emma Watson-speech about women's rights in front of UN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:49:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Emma Watson-speech about women's rights in front of UN
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Emma Watson-speech about women's rights in front of UN  (Read 3583 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2014, 01:17:09 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-iFl4qhBsE
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »

Ugh. We should not being encouraging people to be more emotionally open. Just no.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »

And we should listen to random celebrities because?

(Haven't looked at link and don't intend to because I don't listen to random celebrities.)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »

Nothing more annoying than a politically involved celebrity.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:14:01 PM »

Nothing more annoying than a politically involved celebrity.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »

Pretty good speech. She sounds very sincere and committed. In principle I agree that the views of celebrities gets too much attention, but this is far from the worst example. May actually do some good.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »

4chan responds

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »

It's far more important than her speech.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 05:24:31 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2014, 05:34:47 PM by politicus »

Link with more background

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/22/4chan_users_respond_to_emma_watsons_powerful_un_speech_by_threatening_to_release_her_nude_photos
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 05:28:20 PM »

"Feminism is about breaking down gender stereotypes that entrap everyone, and about achieving equality and respect for people regardless of gender:

I’ve seen young men suffering from mental illness unable to ask for help for fear it would make them look less “macho”—in fact in the UK suicide is the biggest killer of men between 20-49; eclipsing road accidents, cancer and coronary heart disease. I’ve seen men made fragile and insecure by a distorted sense of what constitutes male success. Men don’t have the benefits of equality either.

We don’t often talk about men being imprisoned by gender stereotypes but I can see that that they are and that when they are free, things will change for women as a natural consequence.

If men don’t have to be aggressive in order to be accepted women won’t feel compelled to be submissive. If men don’t have to control, women won’t have to be controlled."

Good stuff!
KCDem

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 07:05:25 PM »

It was a great speech. Those commenting on it without having listened to it should be ashamed of themselves.
swl
France

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 11:15:50 AM »

For the same reason than we listen to random politicians, i.e. because you're interested?

She was still a kid that there was a lot of sick stuff on her circulating (on 4chan for instance). She's worth 100x more than these psychopaths, she shouldn't be afraid of them.

Despite being good, her speech does not bring any new ideas, but it seems to have reached its goal given how many times I have seen it on Facebook.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 12:07:34 PM »

A pretty great speech

I know celebs going into politics is sometimes irritating. But as it turns out, people are often interested in what glamorous and famous celebs say more than speeches by anonymous middle-aged diplomats.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »

The media narrative of a site like 4chan speaking in a single voice is incredibly idiotic.

The speech itself was fairly decent despite not bringing any new ideas to the table. Such is the nature of a celebrity spokesperson.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »

Perhaps the reason why there aren't any new ideas is that the old ones still haven't been implemented. Tongue
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 12:45:33 PM »

Ugh. We should not being encouraging people to be more emotionally open. Just no.

(Haven't looked at link and don't intend to because I don't listen to random celebrities.)

Indeed. What a horrible young lady. How dare she speak out about something she feels passionate about! Who does she think she is? Stupid naive liberal woman, caring about other people. Screw that liberal BS. She should spend less time talking and more time barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen like a good woman. Now that's real family values. Liberal women, I tell you, the nerve of them...
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 01:24:04 PM »

Indeed. What a horrible young lady. How dare she speak out about something she feels passionate about! Who does she think she is? Stupid naive liberal woman, caring about other people. Screw that liberal BS. She should spend less time talking and more time barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen like a good woman. Now that's real family values. Liberal women, I tell you, the nerve of them...

I'm just as irritated by male celebrities who do the same, and I'm fairly certain King is as well.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 01:31:07 PM »

Celebrities can reach people who politicians cannot. Most young people today, cannot identify with a politician, a technocrat, or a university professor. They are more likely to identify with "that Harry Potter girl", hence her message reaches a different audience than it would otherwise. From a strictly utilitarian standpoint, this is the reason.

In any case, wonderful speech. Huzzah for Emma Watson.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »

The reason this thread exists is not because a celebrity gave a speech. It exists because a celebrity gave a good speech on an important issue.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 06:28:14 PM »

Are you actually a Disney villain now? Have you crossed the border from "grumpy old man" to "actually dislikes the expression of human emotions"?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 08:45:45 PM »

I'm just as irritated by male celebrities who do the same, and I'm fairly certain King is as well.

I too am irritated by men giving speeches on men's rights.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 09:14:58 PM »

It's stupid to say celebrities shouldn't talk about politics. It's like saying bus drivers or teachers or butchers shouldn't talk about politics. Everyone is free to speak their mind. Whether they get mocked or not should depend on if they're intelligent or not. Waton's comments were intelligent and if a college professor had said them, no one would have batted an eye.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 06:16:43 AM »

Apparently, that was a hoax:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/the-emma-watson-nude-photo-leak-was-a-very-elaborate-hoax-9752810.html
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »

She probably should have turned down the invitation to speak. It would have at least been respectful to you and others that are annoyed by it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:29 PM »

She probably should have turned down the invitation to speak. It would have at least been respectful to you and others that are annoyed by it.

Nah.  I'm not the type to condemn the messenger.  I'm not blaming her, I'm blaming our media-obsessed culture that places too much weight upon the words of entertainers.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies