Emma Watson-speech about women's rights in front of UN (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:20:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Emma Watson-speech about women's rights in front of UN (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Emma Watson-speech about women's rights in front of UN  (Read 3624 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: September 22, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »

And we should listen to random celebrities because?

(Haven't looked at link and don't intend to because I don't listen to random celebrities.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:24:04 PM »

Ugh. We should not being encouraging people to be more emotionally open. Just no.

And we should listen to random celebrities because?

(Haven't looked at link and don't intend to because I don't listen to random celebrities.)

Indeed. What a horrible young lady. How dare she speak out about something she feels passionate about! Who does she think she is? Stupid naive liberal woman, caring about other people. Screw that liberal BS. She should spend less time talking and more time barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen like a good woman. Now that's real family values. Liberal women, I tell you, the nerve of them...

I'm just as irritated by male celebrities who do the same, and I'm fairly certain King is as well.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:29 PM »

I'm just as irritated by male celebrities who do the same, and I'm fairly certain King is as well.

She probably should have turned down the invitation to speak. It would have at least been respectful to you and others that are annoyed by it.

Nah.  I'm not the type to condemn the messenger.  I'm not blaming her, I'm blaming our media-obsessed culture that places too much weight upon the words of entertainers.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 08:56:22 AM »

Nothing more annoying than a politically involved celebrity.

I guess religious leaders are less annoying right?

We actually need liberal celebrities as a counterweight to all of the very conservative religious leaders who have a deep cultural and political influence on people's everyday life and choices, especially in the US where Pew research shows that a majority of adults are actually fearing religion becoming less important in US society and politics (56% of respondents, including loads of Democrats, think politicians should care more about religion). Like US politics weren't already way too in bed with religion as it was...

I take it you don't mean such liberal celebrities as Clint Eastwood, Ted Nugent, or the late Anita Bryant and Charlton Heston.  I presume you also don't mean such conservative religious leaders as the Dalai Lama, Rowan Williams, or the late Martin Luther King.  The idea that religion must be conservative is a misconception that unfortunately far too many people believe.  Yeshua bin Miriam was certainly not a conservative.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »

Ernest is being ironic. How is that not obvious?

You say that, but his coma-rape apologism suggests otherwise.

I suppose I should expect that a proponent of totalitarianism would continue distort my position in that thread.  Granted because I failed to consider the possibility that anyone would want to have sex with a comatose person, I failed to initially foreclose that possibility when I suggested that someone who has become not legally competent to consent might wish to be able to do so in advance.  Foolish me.  I was thinking of the case where a person would still be able to enjoy sex, but not legally able to give consent.  Snowstalker, I'll leave to you any fantasies you might have of enjoying The Bride before she woke up in Kill Bill, because they certainly aren't mine.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies