Marokai/Antonio V: Let Us Cling Together.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:26:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marokai/Antonio V: Let Us Cling Together.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Marokai/Antonio V: Let Us Cling Together.  (Read 3008 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2014, 03:31:24 AM »
« edited: October 08, 2014, 03:07:57 PM by Marokai Besieged »

Marokai Blue/Antonio V in October '14.

Throughout my time in Atlasia, I have had the great privilege of working alongside amazing individuals. Some who are no longer here with us, and many who thankfully still are. I have seen parties come and go, villains rise and fall, regions go active and inactive, and always dealt with the petty squabble of the month.

Many things change, and many things stay the same.

I am here to announce my candidacy for President of Atlasia. I do so out of love for this community and this game. For support of economic security, solidarity, and progressive causes. For support of healthy game reform. And, perhaps most importantly, to advance the ideals of open-mindedness and cooperation in support of common goals.

To everyone outside of my party, I say this: I want to be a President that serves you, the people, first and foremost. I want to be a President that puts the spotlight on the work, and on the issues, rather than myself or my party label. For those of you who know me, you know that I speak my mind, and that I will always endeavor to do what is right, regardless of political consequences.

I am who I am; a left-winger. But I have had a unique experience: Working with Atlasia's right-wing in the past made me realize that there are many, many things more important than political considerations. Those are always shortsighted! In times where the political environment has been grim, I have devoted a downright unhealthy amount of time and energy to making it more varied, and more interesting.

My PM box is always open, I welcome talking to anyone who has ideas, or just general thoughts to share; my friendships with those all over the spectrum prove this. I want what works best, and what keeps things lighthearted and fun. As President this will always be my top priority.

To my Labor brothers and sisters: What's really worth bickering about so much! So much boils underneath the surface, and for what? When did we stop being able to communicate with each other, to share concerns and compete with ideas? These are the things that made us so prominent, and such a force to be reckoned with. Our ideas have always guided us, our substance and work ethic.

Refocus ourselves on what matters. Do that, and the people will follow. I believe this strongly. A political system where dissent is squelched and frank conversation is pushed to the back-channels is no political system I want to be a part of, and it's because I know we can do better that I stand here today.

We will do better.

In my farewell last year, I said this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is a game, so let's build a better game! Let's have a great campaign, share great ideas, and if I would be so lucky as to be elected by you all, I would do all within my power to make sure we all remember what we're truly here for.

Antonio V is a friend, and has a great history in Atlasia, and in this community. I trust him wholeheartedly to be a working partner with me, and I hope that you can too. Over this campaign, he and I will share our ideas with how to make Atlasia a better country, and a better game.

So let's get to work. Accost me with all the questions.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 04:34:18 AM »

Fellow Atlasians,

It has been years since I have last sought elective office, and if someone had asked me about my plans just last week, I probably would have repeated what I've been saying throughout this time: I'm done with Atlasia. I know it is a common cliché for politicians to claim that they did not want to run but felt a duty to do so, but I think that I might be able to say that with a bit more credibility.

Over the past few days, I have seen the dire state of the Atlasian left. I have watched my party, the Labor Party - a party that, since its foundation, has represented my ideals - as it became engulfed in petty personal feuds, insulated itself from the rest of Atlasia, embarked in an empty quest for power, refused to engage with its opponents on policy and ideological matters, and finally was brought to near collapse.

I refuse to see my party suffer this fate. But so much damage has been done, that revitalizing the party requires pushing aside the traditional leadership that has embodied it in the past months and years, and allow "new" faces to emerge. This is why my old-time comrade Marokai has asked me to be his running mate in this presidential campaign. This is why we are running to present Atlasia with a serious, pragmatic and open-minded left-wing alternative.

I have had, and still have, major disagreements with Marokai, both on game reform and on real-life issues. But whatever you may say about him, there were very few people in all of our history who were as committed than he is to make Atlasia better. He has always been "in it" for the game, for its most wonky policy aspects, for its most heated exchanges of ideas, but never for the ego contests and the petty squabbles. Marokai is the person you can always rely on when Atlasia needs a fresh new start. And I believe that's exactly what it needs right now.

What I would like to add, as a proud Laborite, is that there is more to this party than what it has shown in these past months. There are many dedicated Atlasians who work every day to advance ideals they believe in. These people must not be forgotten. I am running because I sincerely believe in the principles upon which this party was founded. I believe that there is a way to advance leftist policies without shielding ourselves in partisanship. I believe that we should engage with those who disagree with us, to try to convince them, or at least to convince them that we put actually thought in our worldview. You won't hear me make apologies for my beliefs - you know where I stand politically and I am not going to change it. But you always will hear me explain why I believe something is right or wrong.

I have no intent to engage in personal drama because, simply put, I don't have time for it. The position of VP demanding few duties, I think I can commit to it and still do a decent job. I will do my job, and nothing more. No backroom scheming, no pointless flame wars, no bullsh*t. Only constructive debate - which ultimately is what Atlasia should be about. I have no doubt Marokai has the same commitment, and together, we shall prove you that Labor still has something good to offer to Atlasia.

Let us cling together, let us put the bitterness behind us. Vote for Marokai/Antonio this October!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 05:10:12 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2014, 05:16:12 AM by Senator Cassius »

Labor split?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 05:48:16 AM »

Fantastic news!
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:24:15 AM »

Splendid news! You have my endorsement.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 06:41:47 AM »

Well... this just got interesting.

I don't anticipate endorsing this ticket, but it shall be a fun race.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 07:38:07 AM »

On behalf of our ticket, we look forward to an engaging and constructive race. Best of luck!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 07:39:48 AM »

On behalf of our ticket, we look forward to an engaging and constructive race. Best of luck!

As do we. We're here to have fun, afterall, so right back at you. Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 08:19:09 AM »

My thoughts exactly, this is going to be a very interesting race! (I wonder if we could schedule one or two debates to increase interest)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 08:20:05 AM »

The only full on Labor ticket that can win. This should be interesting.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 09:34:25 AM »

Exciting development and fantastic news! The best in quite a while, actually - great ticket. Wink

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »

You have my full support!
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 10:28:39 AM »

Damn good ticket!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »

Well, I never saw this coming. Tongue

Does this mean I'm being cheated on??
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »

Well, that looks promising! Thank you guys! Smiley

Does this mean I'm being cheated on??

God no. Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »

The glorious days of my Atlasia are returning! It is so good to see you gents around these parts again. Wink
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »

Endorsed!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »

Your campaign slogan evokes visions of huddled masses facing some near-unbeatable foe. Are these the people you hope to defend and represent as President, or is this the vision you have for our country?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »

No need to act so offended by the idea. Jeez. Tongue

Duke, there will always be a place for you in my hear no matter where I am~

Your campaign slogan evokes visions of huddled masses facing some near-unbeatable foe. Are these the people you hope to defend and represent as President, or is this the vision you have for our country?

My belief is that no foe is unbeatable, no problem unsolvable, if we all stick together and earnestly work together rather than bicker and potentially tear ourselves apart. We are stronger when we all act as one, and we are all united by a common desire to have fun here in Atlasia. This goes for my party, as well as Atlasia at large.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 07:58:55 PM »

Endorsed! It would be great to see an Ohioan win the Presidency. Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 05:23:53 AM »

Any measures you would take as a President against the Federalist hifly-DC-(TJ?) hate bill in the Mideast?

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 05:36:23 AM »

Any measures you would take as a President against the Federalist hifly-DC-(TJ?) hate bill in the Mideast?

I have multiple issues with this:

First and mostly obviously, it is disgustingly homophobic. Same-sex relationships are very bit as valid as opposite sex relationships, and under no circumstances should we be teaching kids to see those relationships as somehow "lesser" than any other. If anything we should be actively teaching the opposite.

Secondly, while I personally value marriage as an institution and something people should take seriously, why is this something we should be teaching kids in school, even this proposal wasn't maligning homosexual relationships in the first place?

Thirdly, and this is probably pedantic in comparison to the other concerns, "entered into for life" I feel sends a bad message to people. Though people should obviously try to make relationships work, if it's an unhappy marriage, it's an unhappy marriage. Giving people the idea that they should feel pressured to stay married under any circumstances is what leads to f**ked up homes.

TJ is a good guy, and I urge his better instincts to see that this is discriminatory and not sign it. This sort of proposal has no place being law in 2014.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 09:18:45 AM »

Endorsed!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »

I also want to make it clear that I forcefully, vehemently oppose this bill, and as a Vice President would seek all legal means to defeat it. If there is anything in the Atlasian constitution akin to the Fourteenth Amendment, this bill should and probably will be declared unconstitutional.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 02:12:08 PM »

I didn't say it before, but you have my endorsement.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies