McCain on talk of run with Kerry: 'No, no and no'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:32:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  McCain on talk of run with Kerry: 'No, no and no'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain on talk of run with Kerry: 'No, no and no'  (Read 1508 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2004, 09:59:46 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/04/11/mccain.veep/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Trying to stamp out speculation that he might consider joining Democratic Sen. John Kerry's ticket, Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona insisted Sunday that he would not do so under any circumstances.

He said he would campaign and vote for President Bush in the fall, despite their policy differences.

"No, no and no. I will not leave the Republican Party. I cherish the ideals and principles of Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan," he said on NBC's "Meet The Press."

"I will not be vice president of the United States under any circumstances. I feel that I can be far more effective in helping shape policy in the future of this country as a United States senator."

McCain, who ran a hard-fought and frequently contentious campaign against Bush for the Republican nomination in 2000, is a close friend of Kerry's and like him is a decorated veteran of the Vietnam War, having endured more than five years as a prisoner.

He raised eyebrows last month in an interview with ABC when he said that if Kerry, the presumptive Democratic nominee, asked him to be his running mate, "Obviously, I would entertain it."

McCain went on to say that he thought such a scenario was impossible because the Democratic Party would never accept his conservative views on abortion, trade and national security.

He tried to quash the speculation raised by his comments by putting out a statement the same day saying he would not run.

Nevertheless, the chatter has persisted, fueled by media reports quoting Kerry advisers saying they think a Kerry-McCain ticket would be an unbeatable combination against Bush.

But McCain said Sunday that he believes Bush "deserves re-election."

"Have we agreed on every issue? Of course not. We didn't agree on every issue when we ran against each other in a primary," he said.

"I am not embarrassed to say that John Kerry is a friend of mine, but I want George Bush to be re-elected president of the United States."

McCain, 67, is running for re-election to his Senate seat.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 10:03:12 PM »

He's ours and we're keeping him Wink
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 11:15:20 PM »

Maybe Cheney would be willing to switch over?  Heh
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 11:40:56 PM »

Wow McCain is older than he looks.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 06:51:03 AM »

Took him a long time to quell the rumours, especially after that "I would entertain the idea"-comment. He probably panicked because he realised this could kill his chances for 2008.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 07:42:43 AM »

Took him a long time to quell the rumours, especially after that "I would entertain the idea"-comment. He probably panicked because he realised this could kill his chances for 2008.

He actually quell the rumors a long time ago. I guess he seems a need to repeat himself.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 05:05:03 PM »

it tells you something about the democratic party when their most sought after guy for vp is a republican.

hey guys, maybe bush can win illinois if he picks dick durbin as his running mate? </sarcasm>
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 05:09:25 PM »

it tells you something about the democratic party when their most sought after guy for vp is a republican.

hey guys, maybe bush can win illinois if he picks dick durbin as his running mate? </sarcasm>

I think many Democrats would have been unhappy with a Kerry/McCain ticket. Plus it was such an unrealistic idea from the start... I wonder how the rumours started in the first place?
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 08:42:38 PM »

My guess is these rumors were encouraged by the Kerry people as a vehicle for making Kerry seem more moderate.  Oh, that and McCain encouraged it because he LOVES the pub.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 09:00:25 PM »

My guess is these rumors were encouraged by the Kerry people as a vehicle for making Kerry seem more moderate.  Oh, that and McCain encouraged it because he LOVES the pub.

Both.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies