What 2015 Election are you most looking forward to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:11:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What 2015 Election are you most looking forward to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Huh
England

Canada

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: What 2015 Election are you most looking forward to?  (Read 6132 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 03:11:03 PM »

UK obviously, I'll be depressed with Canada's whether Trudeau or Harper wins to be honest.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 04:43:58 PM »

This poll clearly has an anglophone touch to it...

... and it's rather symptomatic that the first option is "England".

I'm firstly interested in Spain for the obvious reason that is the country where I live, even though oftentimes I get easily bored with the politicking here. Secondly, because this time the election is going to be genuinely interesting. In Europe, UK because of its generic importance. I don't feel enthusiastic right now, but I hope that the campaign will provide some exciting stuff. I'll keep an eye in Portugal as well. Politics in Argentina is weird but fascinating (especially if we talk of Peronist factions) and this year's will be a competitive election for once. I have personal interest in the new UNEN Front; my hope is they will be able to reach the 2nd Round. Mexico, regardless if the PRI stays or not in power, is always a must see. As of late, I took an interest in Turkey. Even though the AKP dominance will likely remain unchallenged, the emergence of a new Lefitst-Kurdish alternative would please me.

Voted "other" (meh).
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2014, 04:57:40 PM by Thomas D »

This was more of an "English speaking election night on C-SPAN" bias to be honest.

And England is first because their election is in May. Canada has theirs in October.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »

This was more of an "English speaking election night on C-SPAN" bias to be honest.

And England is first because their election is in May. Canada has theirs in October.

I think the issue is that it's the UK general election, not the English one.

I think the Greek one could be fascinating if Syriza do well, and Spain too, to see if Podemos keep up the pace until then.

Switzerland will be another depressing UDC victory, and the Green Liberals will probably overtake the greens. But at least the federal elections are fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 05:50:07 PM »

UK, of course.

Followed by Spain, Poland and Canada, I guess.

Overall, 2015 sucks election-wise though.

Huh

You got 3 of the 6 biggest countries in EU: UK, Spain, Poland + crisis ridden Portugal and Greece.

Mexico and Argentina in Latin America. Canada in North America.

Nigeria, Ethiopia and Tanzania in Africa.

In Asia you got Burma as a very exciting one + Turkey. Probably also Thailand.

Mabye I'm a bit picky, but other than the UK there are no truly "big ones" in 2015 (as in no significiant US, French, Russian, Japanese, Indian, German, or at least Brazilian elections).

2016 (America, and domestically five German state elections) and 2017 (France & Germany) seem to be more promising.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 06:07:10 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2014, 06:33:22 PM by politicus »

UK, of course.

Followed by Spain, Poland and Canada, I guess.

Overall, 2015 sucks election-wise though.

Huh

You got 3 of the 6 biggest countries in EU: UK, Spain, Poland + crisis ridden Portugal and Greece.

Mexico and Argentina in Latin America. Canada in North America.

Nigeria, Ethiopia and Tanzania in Africa.

In Asia you got Burma as a very exciting one + Turkey. Probably also Thailand.

Mabye I'm a bit picky, but other than the UK there are no truly "big ones" in 2015 (as in no significiant US, French, Russian, Japanese, Indian, German, or at least Brazilian elections).

2016 (America, and domestically five German state elections) and 2017 (France & Germany) seem to be more promising.

Well okay, I guess if you go by size of their economy that makes sense. If you go by population a lot of the countries I mentioned are bigger than France (Burma, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Turkey, Mexico). Mexico and Nigeria are 100 mio.+

I forgot Iran btw, that may actually be interesting, even if its not "free & fair".

The Duma was elected in December 2011, so there will be a Russian one as well - if they have kept the 4 year term. (its not on the election calendars)

EDIT:

Seems Russia is schedued to 2016 (so 5 year term now), but may be in 2015 because of the annexation of Crimea.
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/advertorials/news/State-Duma-Election-Could-Come-a-Year-Early-Mironov-Says/
Colbert
France

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 07:43:25 PM »

I voted England, wich could be exciting, after the scottish affair, the growth of UKIP, and the future english parliament

canada elections have no interest, liberals, NDP and conservative are all centrists parties. (same thing for spain or portugal)

Other interesting elections in 2015 could be :

-Finland, Danemark (all nordic elections are pretty interesting, because of long tradition of multyparty system)

-Estonia (consequences of Ukraine-Russia crisis)
-Poland presidential election (idem)

France's double local elections could be funny to watch, too.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »

I voted England, which could be exciting, after the Scottish affair, the growth of UKIP, and the future English parliament

Canada elections have no interest, liberals, NDP and conservative are all centrists parties. (same thing for Spain or Portugal)

Other interesting elections in 2015 could be :

-Finland, Danemark (all Nordic elections are pretty interesting, because of long tradition of multiparty system)

-Estonia (consequences of Ukraine-Russia crisis)
-Poland presidential election (idem)

Spain has PODEMOS and IU on the left, hardly centrist parties  - and I wouldn't exactly call Harper's Tories centrist either Smiley.

Denmark will be a snoozefest - guaranteed  centre-right victory.
Colbert
France

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »

you're right, I forgot podemos Sad

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »

LoL, I totally forgot about Spain, and voted UK. But it's Spain, obviously.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 10:28:12 PM »

Canada, of course
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 02:39:46 AM »

You forgot the next United Kingdom general election. It's in May Wink

Elections in Burma should be a matter of general interest too.

Spain has PODEMOS and IU on the left, hardly centrist parties  - and I wouldn't exactly call Harper's Tories centrist either Smiley.

Well, it depends on how do you define what is a centrist party. In Spain we have a wide range of political forces. There is not a standard centrist /social liberal party in the style of the Canadian Liberals or the British Lib Dems, that's for sure. PP is certainly not on the centre, despite having some moderates like other liberal-conservative mass parties. Other parties, however, might be closer to the centre of the spectrum.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2014, 10:53:56 AM »

I would probably not call them funny to watch, being French and all, but I guess from any other point of view, yes, they could be.
Mogrovejo
Rookie
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »

I don't think there's much intrigue to Portugal general elections next year - I expect a PS victory well short of an absolute majority, a quick erosion of their support base a la Hollande and new elections after 2 or 3 years (probably after they're trashed in the 2017 local elections).

UK, Spain and Canada for me, by this order.
Lasitten
Rookie
Finland

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -4.00

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2014, 11:18:16 AM »

Finland of course. Especially because I am running for the parliament.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »

I don't know which I'm looking forward too most but two interesting ones that haven't been mentioned yet: Haiti and Guatemala.

Both have extremely competitive, extremely fluid party systems. There's no way to predict who will win.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2014, 09:46:40 AM by Anton Kreitzer »

UK, particularly as I've already done preliminary predictions for it, and the growth of UKIP (for example, will Farage win in Thanet South?).

I'm also looking forward to Canada, but will be disappointed if Harper and the Tories lose. On the other hand, I won't be as disappointed if Cameron and the British Tories lose.

South of the Equator, I'll be keeping an eye on the QLD and NSW state elections.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »

Canada (duh, I'm Canadian) and the provincial elections in 2015
Spain (fascinating situation right now) / Greece (if it happens)
Argentina (so messed up it's guaranteed to be always interesting)
France (guaranteed to be pure horror, but I've given up hope now and will take sadistic interest in how it crashes and burns)
Mexico's midterms (I'm always interested by Mexican elections)
Finland
Poland
Guatemala
UK
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »

Definitely Spain for me.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2014, 09:25:45 AM »

UK

I don't follow Canadian politics that much.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2014, 08:22:43 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2014, 08:24:15 PM by NJ Christian »

I'm most interested in Britain's, due to the rise of UKIP.

I'm also interested in Switzerland's and Poland's.
EPG
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »

Could someone be so kind as to update me on UK politics in regards to why everyone's saying Cameron's going down?

I don't follow day-to-day international politics so much. Is it the economy? EU negotiations? Is it the Scotland thing? I see he's being blasted from both the left and the right for a lot of things, especially immigration and the rise of UKIP. Could Miliband be the next PM?

What is going on, exactly?

It could yet be just mid-term blues... The Conservatives trailed in polls since the unpopular 2012 budget, but recently they've bounced back and are more competitive with Labour, usually about 2% behind, leading in some polls. Ukip began as a vote sink for disaffected Tories and has morphed into a rally point for the disaffected of all parties and none. However, due to the UK's electoral geography (e.g. higher voter turnout in Conservative constituencies), the Conservatives need a big lead either to beat Labour in seats or to win a majority government and avoid coalition. The Lib Dems have still lost about 6% of their 23% support from 2010 to Labour and 4% each to the Greens and (Tories+Ukip) but luckily for them the losses are hugely concentrated in places where they weren't winning.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »

Incidentally, the fracturing of the conservative vote is probably the best news for the Liberals all parliament (not that there is much competition for that title). It could possibly save the West Country marginals, and frankly, I wouldn't rule out some gains for the party. (e.g. Opik's old haunt).
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2014, 12:17:07 AM »

I'd say New South Wales, but the election just looks really boring from my outlook. At least in 2011 it was fun to predict how badly we'd get beaten, this one's just bland.

I generally know jack sh**t about politics outside of the Anglosphere, so it's either the UK or Canada or me. Both should be fun, but I reckon the UK will get better attention down here, so I'll vote that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies