Do I delete correctly?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:56:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do I delete correctly?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do I delete correctly?  (Read 331 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »

Smartest Man in the World

A doctor, a lawyer, a little boy and a priest were out for a Sunday afternoon flight on a small private plane. Suddenly, the plane developed engine trouble. In spite of the best efforts of the pilot, the plane started to go down. Finally, the pilot grabbed a parachute and yelled to the passengers that they better jump, and he himself bailed out.
Unfortunately, there were only three parachutes remaining.
The doctor grabbed one and said “I’m a doctor, I save lives, so I must live,” and jumped out.
The lawyer then said, “I’m a lawyer and lawyers are the smartest people in the world. I deserve to live.” He also grabbed a parachute and jumped.
The priest looked at the little boy and said, “My son, I’ve lived a long and full life. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Take the last parachute and live in peace.”
The little boy handed the parachute back to the priest and said, “Not to worry Father. The smartest man in the world just took off with my back pack.”
v0031
China
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »

I make it like this

Smartest Man in the World

A doctor, a lawyer, a little boy and a priest were out for a Sunday afternoon flight on a small private plane. Suddenly, the plane developed engine trouble. In spite of the best efforts of the pilot, the plane started to go down. Finally, the pilot grabbed a parachute and yelled to the passengers that they better jump, and he himself bailed out.
Unfortunately, there were only three parachutes remaining.
The doctor grabbed one and said “I’m a doctor, I save lives, so I must live,” and jumped out.
The lawyer then said, “I’m a lawyer and lawyers are the smartest people in the world. I deserve to live.” He also grabbed a parachute and jumped.
The priest looked at the little boy and said, “My son, I’ve lived a long and full life. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Take the last parachute and live in peace.”
The little boy handed the parachute back to the priest and said, “Not to worry Father. The smartest man in the world just took off with my back pack.”
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 09:40:07 PM »

Those are the same passage. What question are you asking?
v0031
China
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:07:08 AM »

No, they aren't the same. I shorter the first to the second to make it more reasonable.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 06:30:30 AM »

No, they aren't the same. I shorter the first to the second to make it more reasonable.

I guess the answer is no then - they show up as the same when you actually look at the post.
v0031
China
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 06:35:28 AM »

The Pentagon is the world's largest office building, and a virtually a city in itself.

Should the red be deleted here?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 06:40:30 AM »

Yes, that's correct - "a virtually a city in itself" would be incorrect.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 07:18:46 AM »

Right, you could say "and a virtual city in itself" or "and virtually a city in itself".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies