What is Republican economic policy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:27:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What is Republican economic policy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is Republican economic policy?  (Read 2444 times)
AggregateDemand
United States

« on: September 24, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »

Republican economic policy has been in a weird place for a long time.  They seem to disavow George W. Bush, while basing their core message on naysaying and disagreeing with Obama.  I can help but think that Republicans don't actually have much of a philosophy at this point.  Rather, their position is to sabotage the economy and use a far right economic platform as a bargaining chip in budget fights.  That's more of a tactic rather than a philosophy. 

So, what is the mainstream Republican philosophy on the major economic issues?  Taxes?  Spending?  Is there any continued life to the Ron Paul economic philosophy of being anti-Federal reserve and cuckoo crazy?

Thoughts?

Republicans disavow W and HW because they were both appeasers. HW was an appeaser by his nature. W was an appeaser because the appeasement parts of his platform were about the only initiatives that made it through the pork-loving Republican Congress.

The Republican economic platform is nuanced and difficult for people without formal education to understand. For instance, Republicans loathe the system of graduated tax rates. It creates sociological, socioeconomic, and economic inequalities that erode the social-fabric of the US and the notion of American unity. People are divided according to their life-choices or circumstances and encouraged/discouraged according to the arbitrary revenue needs of the treasury. Worse still, graduated rates are not the only way to have a progressive tax system. Naturally, Repubs push flatter income tax brackets, many want a flat marginal rate within a progressive tax system.

Republicans also want decentralized decision-making, which is something Bush actually achieved. Repubs and Dems both tax around 20% GDP. The difference is that Democrats put the money in the hands of bureaucracies that provide services and cut checks. Republicans create systems of refundable credits, deductions, and rate cuts to redistribute tax collections with the IRS. Since the IRS redistributes/refunds wealth in the Republican system, official data sources record lower overall revenues.

Republicans want to fund military, roads, education and other productivity initiatives. Dems are generally lovers of the healthcare handout (relatively productive), public pension, food stamps, and welfare checks.

In the arena of economics, Republicans vs. Democrats is like Mohammed Ali vs. Woody Allen. The optics are not good for Republicans because it looks like competent shrewd operators are just mocking the incompetence of the "little guy". Furthermore, the economic arguments on the Republican side are so nuanced that the electorate can't really understand. Republicans become fatalistic, which leads to unbecoming self-destructive behavior.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »

Some day you guys will understand neoliberalism, and its effect on US politics, particularly the Republican Party.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:20:15 PM »

The way you wrap the mechanics of Government and Business in moralistic layers sounds like neoliberal economist are simply trying to provide the Mathematics, Psychology and Physics needed to discern God's will.

It seems like Scientology tries to take the Republican History, Platform and Philosophy and replace ancient astronauts with God. Could make a good Stargate episode. Idea for fanfiction- a Republican Goa'uld. 

It's about Pareto, not God.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:33:13 PM »

It can seem like that, sure. Most authoritarian elements of the U.S. population are in the Republican Party

I understand what you're saying, but the people who expect government cheese every time they extend their hand are as authoritarian as the conservative Republicans who want to see SWAT teams night-sticking crowds of libertine hippsters. Liberals also birthed the hybrid-cars-only movement, carbon-caps, strict school lunch menus, punitive taxation, etc.

Conservative Republicans are usually okay with the police/military state. Liberals are usually fine with the PC nanny-state complex. They are both authoritarian arrangements, but one wears sheep's clothing.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 01:24:15 PM »

We just hear these two factions of the Republican party.  One group are blowhards who live in a fantastical reality of their own imagination like AD.

Clinton signed Welfare reform and founded the Third Way because of my imagination? Obama pushed fracking through the EPA and Republicans signed off on CAFE because of my imagination?

The things I say are real, you've not been trained to understand or identify them.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:44:11 PM »

We disagree, but you definitely make up facts (example, "Obama pushed fracking through the EPA") and you're a blowhard.  I have no interest in discussing anything with you further because I find you distasteful on top of that. 

You want me to placate you, which is far more arrogant and distasteful than any remark I've made.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies