Prop 8: Why did LA county vote Yes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:13:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Prop 8: Why did LA county vote Yes?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Prop 8: Why did LA county vote Yes?  (Read 2552 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »

Something that has bugged me for awhile. I realize that there is strong minority presence in the city that may swing it to Yes, but it seems to me that there must be other explanation. It is still a relatively progressive area that should have gone No by some margin if I had to predict beforehand.

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 01:32:04 PM »

What's the big dark green precinct surrounded by brown precincts in the west-central part of the county?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 01:37:38 PM »

Hispanics and Blacks voted Yes, and they made up 56% of the population. What more to it is there?

What's the big dark green precinct surrounded by brown precincts in the west-central part of the county?

A pretty much uninhabited part of the Santa Monica Mountains. In particular, it looks like the Westridge-Canyonback Wilderness Park and some surrounding areas.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »

Also the High Desert area of LA County (Palmdale, Lancaster, Santa Clarita) are conservative exurbs.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 02:49:01 PM »

I've wondered how it passed in Orange County with only 58%.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »

Suburbanites are significantly more socially progressive than people in more outside areas. We saw this with the Minnesota map in 2012 too, with suburban counties that vote republican being really close, while rural counties (even ones that vote D) going >60% Yes.

To the topic, with LA county it seemed to be Hispanics that probably got Yes to win. The 80% Hispanic Imperial County voted 70% Yes, for example. Although it literally won by 0.08% so the question should really be why was it so close.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 10:33:35 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2014, 10:40:24 PM by HockeyDude »

Similar to the other sweater-vested awfuls that inhabit Ocean County, NJ... it's about the almighty dollar. (politics that is)  They really don't care if boys kiss other boys.  

Suburbanites are significantly more socially progressive than people in more outside areas. We saw this with the Minnesota map in 2012 too, with suburban counties that vote republican being really close, while rural counties (even ones that vote D) going >60% Yes.

To the topic, with LA county it seemed to be Hispanics that probably got Yes to win. The 80% Hispanic Imperial County voted 70% Yes, for example. Although it literally won by 0.08% so the question should really be why was it so close.

Whoa whoa whoa... let's not being calling the white suburbanites that come to mind when you think of Orange County, CA "socially progressive".  Yea, they might be in Cali and have gotten used to the gays, but they are still horribly racist for the most part.  

http://www.ocweekly.com/2013-10-17/news/moxley-confidential-barbara-johnson-orange-plaza-apartments-adelina-cristobal-pat-fondarella-joaquin-castro-julian/
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:35:35 PM »

Similar to the other sweater-vested awfuls that inhabit Ocean County, NJ... it's about the almighty dollar. (politics that is)  They really don't care if boys kiss other boys.

Excuse me...
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »

Fiscal liberalism doesn't always equal social liberalism Tongue
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 01:26:20 AM »

Excuse me...

Excuse what?  Awful people in Ocean County, NJ are often wearing sweater vests...
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 06:33:11 PM »

According to exit polls, Hispanics and Blacks voted heavily for Prop 8. That made the difference.

If Prop 8 were voted on now though it would lose in LA County and the rest of that state. The country has changed quite dramatically in the past 6 years.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »

I think an underestimated factor is the yes-no-confusion.
It cannot be ruled out that citizens who lived in areas where the two hostile lobby groups didn't canvassed very much didn't necessarily know what "yes" and "no" on the ballot meant.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies