have you ever done day labor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:52:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  have you ever done day labor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: have you ever done day labor?  (Read 609 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_labor

discuss.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:57:33 PM »

Yea, I've helped out neighbors and even valet parked cars at a catering hall down the street from my mom's for some extra cash one time.  No commitment, can leave whenever you want... it can be a nice little situation if you have a free weekend and want some spending money.  Small business at it's most unrefined!  The Ramones album of manual labor!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 07:02:04 PM »

I slapped the sheetrock on the walls for 7 months which made me realize doing that for a living is stupid.  From time to time in the Air Force/as a contractor I am required to sweat a lot.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:24:56 PM »

I helped a friend's company move once, but it was just a one day gig. There was no opportunity (or desire) for it to be more than that.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:43:25 PM »

No, actually. In every instance I have been convinced to do a job for only one day no money was paid. The closest thing to it that comes to mind is performing volunteer work that generated income for a charity group.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »

Sort of. Did some temp agency work a lot in college before I got a steady job (usually in North Dakota while at home on vacation), things like unloading tires from a truck to a tire shop or moving office supplies for a business moving.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 04:35:32 AM »

Yeah, I did a couple odd jobs for people when I moved down here, usually helping friends and relos get rid of stuff for their renovations. Pulling out carpet, throwing piles of rubbish into dumpsters, that kind of thing. It was money. Similar to the short stint I had for a demolition company, although at least for them there were some toys to play with and be around (jackhammering is kind of fun).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 08:34:40 AM »

Before the government started cracking down on the employment of illegal aliens, I think it was more common at least in parts of the country.  When I lived in Texas and when I lived in California, I used to see groups of immigrants--I assume that they were undocumented, but I don't know that for sure--standing on certain street corners.  Usually a truck would pull up and say, "Three men" or "Five people" or "one woman" or something like that, and the person or people would get in and have a job for that day.  I never noticed this in other places I've lived.  I don't know whether this is still common in California and Texas (maybe Florida and Georgia as well?) but it was 20 years ago.

According to the article Walter posted, it's still fairly common to see non-immigrant day laborers in landscaping and commercial building lots.  I've never done that sort of contingent work. 

When I was very young I often saw teenagers ply the streets of the neighborhood with a small lawn mower and knock at every house with long grass, asking if they wanted it cut for ten dollars.  I don't see that much anymore either.  Those teenagers with their little push mowers have been displaced by organized companies who leave flyers at every door advertising their services.  Many of my neighbors have hired those companies and they show up at regular intervals, in with a big truck pulling an even bigger flatbed trailer stocked with all manner of tractors and leaf blowers and other noisy devices, usually about 7 o'clock in the morning.  Two or three burly men step out and make short work of it.  Within 20 minutes they have mowed, collected leaves, edged the garden, polluted the air with hydrocarbon fumes, and covered the lawn in poisons so nasty that they have to leave little signs warning people not to walk on the grass for the next three days.

I mow my own lawn.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 10:51:54 AM »

Yes, of course.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length