Who should be the next Attorney General?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:24:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who should be the next Attorney General?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Who should be the next Attorney General?  (Read 4588 times)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 06:05:44 PM »

No matter who the pick is, it better be done quickly.  If the pubs take over, Jesus himself couldn't get confirmed.

Jesus would be one hell of an AG though, wouldn't he?  Isn't intercession his main schtick?

Jesus would be deemed way too liberal, so wouldn't stand a chance I think.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 06:08:41 PM »

No matter who the pick is, it better be done quickly.  If the pubs take over, Jesus himself couldn't get confirmed.

Jesus would be one hell of an AG though, wouldn't he?  Isn't intercession his main schtick?

Jesus would be deemed way too liberal, so wouldn't stand a chance I think.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »

Kshama Sawant
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 06:12:18 PM »

My vote would be for Kamala Harris.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 06:15:31 PM »

I'd prefer Katyal, but anyone but Verrilli would be good.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »

I'm not keen on appointing politicians to be AG. Best if Donald Verrilli or Preet Bharara get's the job.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »

That's a big step down for governor of California. True, this is Jerry Brown who doesn't see mayor of Oakland as a huge demotion from being governor of California, but that was after a 16 year gap.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 07:22:15 PM »

And the whole omniscience thing has to be a serious advantage in this regard.

He would just keep filing charges against himself over and over again.

I guess it's just as well.  I think Grumps was right about him not getting confirmed.  Just about every woman he knew was a prostitute.  Some scholars even think he married one.  Can you imagine what a circus his confirmation hearing would be?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 07:32:21 PM »

I was musing last night about the future of James Comey while watching him at a House Homeland Security Committee hearing that was on C-SPAN. He was fairly high ranking at the DoJ during the Bush administration and wasn't touched by the Gonzeles debacle.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 07:42:37 PM »

He would just keep filing charges against himself over and over again.

I guess it's just as well.  I think Grumps was right about him not getting confirmed.  Just about every woman he knew was a prostitute.  Some scholars even think he married one.  Can you imagine what a circus his confirmation hearing would be?

If only Ted Cruz would be able to see his glory as well, and not blame his illusions on Obamacare.

I think Sarah might not spot his glory even with her two freshest of bright new glasses.

The vision is in the eye of the beholder.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »

That's a big step down for governor of California. True, this is Jerry Brown who doesn't see mayor of Oakland as a huge demotion from being governor of California, but that was after a 16 year gap.

The reason I picked him is because he *was* an AG and has the experience of what the job entails.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »

I like Jerry Brown.  No nonsense.  I know that he has his enemies on the left, but he'd be a huge improvement over Eric Holder.  Still, Obama doesn't owe him any favors.  You have to figure out which lawyer Obama owes, big time, to be able to predict this sort of thing.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2014, 09:35:47 PM »

Susan Collins
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2014, 09:50:51 PM »

Actually Yeah, so that the Congress could finally get rid of such a lousy Senator. If there's ONE single Senator right now who is hindering radical and truely progressive change in the Senate/US for the better, that person is not Mark Pryor, that person is most definitely Susan Collins. For two very obvious reasons. 1) She is so much more of partisan than all of you figureheads try to claim. In more than 80% of all cases, she sides with the extremely conservative tea party members. 2) Because of her, we cannot have Shenna Bellows for Senate, who would make even Bernie Sanders blush for being way to centrist, coward and insipide. Bellows would for sure become the most European-like Senator the US had ever seen, and in comparison truely make Susan Collins seem like the Ted Cruz of Maine politics. To be quite frank, I'm quite disgusted by the Human Rights Campaign endorsing Collins instead of the most LGBTIQ friendly candidate the American election system has ever seen to date.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2014, 11:09:09 PM »

I'm withdrawing my posts about Mary Jo White. I just read that her relations with the WH are reportedly bad do to the SEC apparently undermining policy. She might be too independent for Obamas liking.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2014, 07:55:02 AM »

Actually Yeah, so that the Congress could finally get rid of such a lousy Senator. If there's ONE single Senator right now who is hindering radical and truely progressive change in the Senate/US for the better, that person is not Mark Pryor, that person is most definitely Susan Collins. For two very obvious reasons. 1) She is so much more of partisan than all of you figureheads try to claim. In more than 80% of all cases, she sides with the extremely conservative tea party members. 2) Because of her, we cannot have Shenna Bellows for Senate, who would make even Bernie Sanders blush for being way to centrist, coward and insipide. Bellows would for sure become the most European-like Senator the US had ever seen, and in comparison truely make Susan Collins seem like the Ted Cruz of Maine politics. To be quite frank, I'm quite disgusted by the Human Rights Campaign endorsing Collins instead of the most LGBTIQ friendly candidate the American election system has ever seen to date.

My logic was this:
  • She would have no trouble getting confirmed, since all of the Democrats would back her and most of the Republicans.
  • She wouldn't get Landrieu, Hagan, Pryor, etc., in any trouble with their voters.
  • She still might inspire a sexist remark or otherwise stupid remark from a far-right Republican, hurting the entire Republican Party.
  • Republican Senate candidates would have a tough time praising Obama's pick but not praising Obama himself, and one of them might screw that up. If they praise the pick too much, Tea Partiers may stay home.
  • Obama and the Democrats would have a concrete example of "Look how bipartisan we are!" to attract Independent voters.
  • Maine would probably replace her with a Democrat.
  • Having her out of the Senate pulls the "average Republican Senator" in to more conservative, more hackish, less likable territory.
  • She'd probably be fine at the job -- she's not bad for a Republican.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2014, 08:17:26 AM »

No matter who the pick is, it better be done quickly.  If the pubs take over, Jesus himself couldn't get confirmed.

Jesus would be one hell of an AG though, wouldn't he?  Isn't intercession his main schtick?

And he was a brown.....a big plus today.  

You mean to tell us Jesus didn't look like this?

Ha ha, not a chance.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »

I don't know what Jesus looked like, but I have no trouble imagining that he'd be regularly profiled as a potential threat in US airports and asked to step out of line and be prodded and probed.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2014, 07:55:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure Obama will appoint Donald Verrilli; Republicans are going to jump on whoever he nominates, but Verrilli, from what I know, wouldn't give them much ammunition.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2014, 06:10:51 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2014, 06:14:46 PM by TDAS04 »

Probably Verrilli or Harris.  
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »

Someone please forward Harry's plan to the President, posthaste. Absolutely brilliant.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2014, 07:23:12 PM »

My logic was this:
  • She would have no trouble getting confirmed, since all of the Democrats would back her and most of the Republicans.
  • She wouldn't get Landrieu, Hagan, Pryor, etc., in any trouble with their voters.
  • She still might inspire a sexist remark or otherwise stupid remark from a far-right Republican, hurting the entire Republican Party.
  • Republican Senate candidates would have a tough time praising Obama's pick but not praising Obama himself, and one of them might screw that up. If they praise the pick too much, Tea Partiers may stay home.
  • Obama and the Democrats would have a concrete example of "Look how bipartisan we are!" to attract Independent voters.
  • Maine would probably replace her with a Democrat.
  • Having her out of the Senate pulls the "average Republican Senator" in to more conservative, more hackish, less likable territory.
  • She'd probably be fine at the job -- she's not bad for a Republican.

For these very reasons, she'd likely turn down an offer. Or so I would hope.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2014, 07:49:03 PM »

Problem is Susan Collins isn't an attorney.

Cuomo would be more of a problem as AG since he'd now be responsible for enforcing federal laws against corporations and Wall Street corruption.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2014, 08:20:28 PM »

Problem is Susan Collins isn't an attorney.

Cuomo would be more of a problem as AG since he'd now be responsible for enforcing federal laws against corporations and Wall Street corruption.

You're assuming he'd take the same tack as Attorney General as he would as New York Governor... besides which he wouldn't take it, as it would be an admission that he couldn't get elected President.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2014, 11:32:25 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2014, 11:34:12 PM by Frodo »

I'm pretty sure Obama will appoint Donald Verrilli; Republicans are going to jump on whoever he nominates, but Verrilli, from what I know, wouldn't give them much ammunition.

Plus, Verilli has already been nominated (and confirmed) once already, which should speed up the confirmation process considerably -a key ingredient that President Obama is looking for as he sifts through his list of undoubtedly top-quality candidates.  Best to have a new Attorney General in place while Democrats still control the Senate. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies