Ethiopian electoral-type event, 24 May 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:33:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ethiopian electoral-type event, 24 May 2015
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ethiopian electoral-type event, 24 May 2015  (Read 2698 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »
« edited: November 04, 2014, 01:21:17 PM by Governor Varavour »

They will be having one of these things next May. The outcome is a foregone conclusion, although there might be more than one opposition member of parliament this time around, who knows. Haile Gebreselassie says he wants to run and will probably (be allowed to) win, provided he does so in some constituency held by some faceless OPDO member at present.

There will be no maps. This can be guaranteed. We may never even find a national popular vote percentage. I haven't seen one for 2010. No-one bothers. I mean I doubt it will need to be as rigged as it would just be that no-one cares (it will be anyway, to avoid the risk of a repeat of 2005).
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Why isn't this on IE?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »

But just because this electoral-type event is meaningless doesn't mean things won't be interesting. Question number one is who becomes Prime Minister. Hailemariam Dessalegn was not intended to stay on past the elections, which was agreed upon by the party following Meles' death.

Hailemariam is a Wolayta, a small ethnic group from the south (and thus belongs to the SEPDM). Meles, of course, was Tigrayan, TPLF, the folks who have been running the show for the past 23 years, etc, etc, we all know this.

So who are the contenders? Hint: they are TPLF members. I'll refer to this analysis, which seems objective (a rather significant problem with trying to follow Ethiopian politics, considering it's obviously not on the news there and 95% of the things on the Internet are nonsense) and in conformity with what I have read.

The question is how balanced will the choice be between TPLF's internal decisions and the decision of the other parties to reject or approve whoever they support. Abay Woldu may have the support of Azeb Mesfin, but the thing is also that no one likes Azeb Mesfin, who famously refused to vacate the Grand Palace for months following Meles' death, and once was seen on TV wailing about how Meles never had a bank account. Her (alleged) attempt to become mayor of Addis Ababa in 2014 was rebuffed by the Party (and for the better, as it would have likely provoked riots). She seems to have been made to resign from a few offices.

Abay Woldu is also perhaps... too Tigrayan. The fact that he is the Region's president would likely the other parties to balk. The fact that a non-TPLF member was selected as Meles' successor would, at least strongly suggest that the TPLF cannot unilaterally impose a leader without the consent of the other parties.

It must also be considered that the military is considerably less overwhelmingly Tigrayan than it was under Meles. Comparing the composition of the army in 1996 and 2011, the share Tigrayans of has fallen from 53% to 18.5%. Those from the Amhara Region now constitute a plurality, with 30.3% , up from 25% in 1996. Oromos account for 25%, up 21.3% of 1996 figures, which I quote from Capital, which is a "liberal" magazine that seems to try to be as objective as possible (which takes considerable effort).

Then there is Debretsion Gebremichael, who is at present Minister of ICT. This makes him responsible for Ethiopia Telecom, which is abysmal, and, quite interestingly, Parliament has not shied away from calling him out on this. It would thus seem unlikely that the other parties would be keen on making him Prime Minister.

But Debretsion is said to also possess considerable influence over the state security and intelligence apparati; the analysis sheet says he "he chairs the joint security commission", virtually none of this can be confirmed, however. Indeed, some sources will name him quite plainly as the "power behind the throne". But if such speculation is even partially true it would give him considerable influence, quite possibly enough to put him on top of the pole.

Finally we have Tedros Adhanom, presently Foreign Minister. I will disclose I quite like him, and I'd gather why I do is also much of the reason he's a contender. He was previously Minister of Health, and in that office he earned much recognition for the undeniably remarkable progress made in the realm of public health under his tenure. HIV infections fell 90%, malaria deaths were halved, child mortality fell by a third. Ethiopia is generally regarded as an MDG "success story", for those and other reasons.

As Foreign Minister he has been able to frustrate Egyptian attempts to stop the construction of the Hidase Dam, even managing to have Sudan "flip" and declare its support for the dam. His conduct during the crisis surrounding the 100,000+ Ethiopians expelled from Saudi Arabia, sharply criticising Saudi conduct and taking several moves to accommodate the expellees, by all indications, was well-received by an outraged public; in contrast one spokesman for the government said at the time that relations remained "sisterly". He has a PhD from the University of Nottingham, he has a well-followed (by Ethiopian standards) Twitter account, he plays the electric guitar, is liked by Western diplomats, etc, etc.

It should be obvious if there was an actual election between the three- Tedros, Debretsion, and Abay- Tedros would win in a landslide. As he probably should. And if it were left to Washington, Tedros would also win. But that is not what is happening- remember we are talking about an "electoral-type event" here. He has supposedly been chided for his openness and proactiveness during the Saudi expellees crisis. It might very well be that he is too good at what he does for his own good. One may hope that his competency would incline the others in OPDO and ANDM (SEPDM will certainly be plugging for the retention of Hailemariam) to favour his selection.

We will see. But we actually won't, unless considerable effort is expended.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 01:21:35 PM »

http://www.capitalethiopia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4691:national-election-set-for-may-24-&catid=35:capital&Itemid=27

Date set.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 10:31:35 PM »

I assume with Meles's passing the EPRDF is still intact. How will the TPLF keep control ?  Will they put have the one of the leaders of the EPRDF allies as the front person or will the TPLF lead EPRDF from the front. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 12:58:24 PM »

Looks like the sole opposition MP won't be able to run because the elections commission doesn't like his party's logo:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0KI1ZS20150109?irpc=932

lol or should I say "ayyyi Ethiopia"? This electoral type event is shaping up to not even be all that electoral.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 05:10:45 PM »

This is tomorrow.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 11:44:39 AM »

So...any update on which of the three now seems likeliest to succeed Meles?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 08:33:03 PM »

Right now, 442 seats out of 547 are known, and the government has won 442.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 09:36:35 PM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 09:41:59 PM »

Lots of people not voting for themselves!

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 08:42:04 AM »

So, like, how do those vote totals occur in electoral-type events?  I've often wondered.  Are voters so intimidated that they just don't show up?  Or do they show up and are given completed ballots?  Or do the poll workers just blatantly not count the votes actually cast and write in whichever numbers they feel, or are told to write in?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 03:37:29 PM »

So, like, how do those vote totals occur in electoral-type events?  I've often wondered.  Are voters so intimidated that they just don't show up?  Or do they show up and are given completed ballots?  Or do the poll workers just blatantly not count the votes actually cast and write in whichever numbers they feel, or are told to write in?

Nope, party extension workers were going door to door in Addis Sunday afternoon, checking up on people who hadn't shown up at the polls telling them to vote.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 05:01:20 PM »

Nope, party extension workers were going door to door in Addis Sunday afternoon, checking up on people who hadn't shown up at the polls telling them to vote.

Interesting.  But what prevents them from checking someone else's name on the ballot from the one that party extension workers want them to?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 05:34:35 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2015, 05:36:45 PM by Governor Simfan34 »

Interesting.  But what prevents them from checking someone else's name on the ballot from the one that party extension workers want them to?

Nothing in particular, but this isn't an "established" practice so I doubt people made arrangements in expectation for it.

Also, "party extension workers" don't actually exist- but rather they are agricultural extension workers who also peddle partisan propaganda. I suppose it was plain old apparatchiks at work in town.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies