Neil Abercrombie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:00:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Neil Abercrombie
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Neil Abercrombie  (Read 2079 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »

It's been said that part of his downfall was the fact that he appointed Brian Schatz to the Senate. Why was this so controversial?
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 06:34:41 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2014, 06:37:22 PM by ModerateVAVoter »

Oh boy. This topic.

Because the late Senator Inouye apparently (and controversially -- I think this has been disputed) wanted Hanabusa to replace him. So of course, many people viewed Abercrombie appointing Schatz as him giving Inouye the middle-finger.

That said, it's hard for me to consider this as the sole reason for his downfall when Schatz ended up winning his primary, and Abercrombie got Blanched.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »

I think that Abercrombie appointing Schatz was one of the many things he bungled since he was elected Governor. Had he been even halfway competent in other areas, he could have appointed Schatz and not been defeated.

People blow the appointment way out of proportion, and going by the Senate Primary, more people want Schatz than Hanabusa anyway.

It's important to remember that had Hanabusa been appointed, her House seat would then have to have a special election - which due to Hawaii law, anyone can run in, so we'd have a repeat of the 2010 special where 2 Democrats run and split the vote; allowing the Republican to eek out a win. That was on Abercrombie's mind, too.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 06:57:05 PM »

There's no way that explains why he had the largest margin of a primary defeat for an incumbent governor in US history in the same election that Schatz won.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »

There's no way that explains why he had the largest margin of a primary defeat for an incumbent governor in US history in the same election that Schatz won.

Offending almost every group who helped elected him 2010 is what did him in.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »

Abercrombie speculated in an interview that it was gay marriage because many, many Republicans voted in that primary and he says they were driven to the polls by their faith leaders telling them to vote against them who signed gay marriage into law.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »

Abercrombie speculated in an interview that it was gay marriage because many, many Republicans voted in that primary and he says they were driven to the polls by their faith leaders telling them to vote against them who signed gay marriage into law.

That's him making up sh*t in order to blame it on Republicans.

So Republicans would vote for someone who voted for Gay Marriage in the Legislature (Ige), but not for the guy who signed it (Abercrombie)?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 07:48:33 PM »

So Republicans would vote for someone who voted for Gay Marriage in the Legislature (Ige), but not for the guy who signed it (Abercrombie)?

Makes about as much sense as the charge that Democrats conspired to save Thad Cochran.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 10:31:12 PM »

Makes about as much sense as the charge that Democrats conspired to save Thad Cochran.

Well, they didn't exactly conspire but it was Democrats that ended up saving Cochran.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:34:10 PM »

Cochran was probably the best Mississippi was going to get anyway.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »

I hate to sound like bronz4141, but does Abercrombie have any future in politics?

He's not someone who I see riding off into the sunset.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 08:25:10 PM »

I hate to sound like bronz4141, but does Abercrombie have any future in politics?

Isn't he like 75?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 06:23:56 AM »

Isn't he like 75?

His website says he's going to just ride off into the sunset.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »

Isn't he like 75?

He was 72 when he was elected Governor in 2010; age doesn't seem to be a factor to him.

It is Hawaii - where they had two Senators who were older than sliced bread.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies