Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:59:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 303733 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2005, 11:29:56 PM »
« edited: September 20, 2005, 05:38:04 PM by King »

The old one got infected with PA13-itis with Flyers v. Phil.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 11:32:52 PM »

I hate it when that happens.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 11:42:00 PM »

Yep, like the last 50-60 posts of that thread were one big b*tch fight that's been playing on ever since I got here. 

Bores the hell out of me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 11:49:32 PM »

Yep, like the last 50-60 posts of that thread were one big b*tch fight that's been playing on ever since I got here. 

Bores the hell out of me.

Oh stop whining. I've never met a bigger bunch of crybabies in my life. "PA 13....no...no...it's boring!" Shut up. Get to work instead of turning this into an anti-PA 13 thread.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 12:56:52 AM »

I would suggest that everyone just stop posting here.  This is the thread to talk about introduced legislation before it comes up for debate.  If you're not talking about that, take it elsewhere.  Let's not clog up this one.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 01:25:56 PM »

Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act

Co-Sponsor:  Senator NixonNow (ACA-NJ)

Clauses

1.     The Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act is hereby repealed.

2.   The projected savings to the Federal Government is projected to be $17.65 Billion dollars for FY 2006 and a projected $176.50 Billion dollars over the next ten years.

3.     All funds previously appropriated by the Senate for FY 2005 to fulfill the requirements of this legislation shall be honored by the Federal Government.

4.   All appropriations and other moneys set to be authorized for fulfillment of this legislation in the Preliminary Version of the Federal Budget for FY 2006 and all future Fiscal Years shall be terminated.

5.   If previous appropriations have resulted in the construction of new facilities or the purchase of land for the construction of new facilities, the land or new facilities must be sold at a fair price to private concerns and the resulting revenue must be included in the Education Sub-Department of the Treasury and Social Services Department revenue figures for the proceeding Fiscal Year.

6.   A sum of no less than three-fourths (75% or $13.2375 Billion dollars) and no greater than the whole (100%) of the appropriations and moneys procured by this repeal of this Act must be designated towards the general Budgetary fund and the necessity of covering the present Budget’s shortfall and may not be authorized by the Senate to fund any other appropriations in this present Fiscal Year (2006).

7.   A sum of no less than none (0%) and no greater than (25% or $4.4125 Billion dollars) of the appropriations and money procured by the repeal of the Act may be authorized by the Senate in future legislation to fund appropriations and expenditures exclusively within the Education Sub-Department for FY 2006.

Discussion on the latest bill?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 04:08:52 PM »

Well, I'd be happy to discuss it if anyone has any questions.

I have always felt like this is unnecessary legislation and yet at the same time, I wish to build a compromise so that elimination of it will go to things that I think it needs to go towards.

First, and most importantly, that means the federal budget deficit. 

75% of the savings from this bill will be earmarked straight to the general Budgetary fund and frankly 100% of the funds can be used for that if need be.  We will be able to cut the deficit by at least 13.2375 Billion dollars and maybe by as much as 17.65 Billion dollars.

However, I know that there are things that some Senators might have plans with regards to education.  I know that Cosmo Kramer has talked about fully funding NCLB.  So, I have set aside as much as 25% of this saved money for future appropriations within the Education Sub. Dept. only if a good and valuable program can be designed for those appropriations.

This is basically the first of a number of cuts I have in mind to make our budget deficit no longer the huge problem it presently is.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 07:54:18 PM »

Are any of the other cuts going to involve the military, which has seen a sharp increase in funding by the last few Senates?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 08:06:31 PM »

Are any of the other cuts going to involve the military, which has seen a sharp increase in funding by the last few Senates?

Do you seriously believe that we should be cutting funds from the military when we are already stretched militarily as it is. When many have said that we don't have the proper equipment in Iraq and that we are not ready for future military endeavours if the need must arise. We cannot cut back on military funding at this time, we need to expand the military to fight the War on Terror and to make sure that we stabilize Iraq.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 08:36:45 PM »

I posted a response to True Democrat a few days ago which I think encapsulates the rationale behind how you get a budget deficit downwards:

Perhaps we could cut something from the Treasury Sub-Dept.  Could a Senator (probably Sam Spade) post a rundown of what is basically included in the Treasury sub-dept. budget?

Ok, but if the President would look through the Treasury budget himself, he would discover that other than some rather minor expenses here and there (1 billion to run the Mint, 8 billion for Financial Management Services and a couple of other minor things), there are basically two major expenses that the Treasury Dept. does that make up all of its budget.

1.  Running of the IRS (roughly about 59 billion)

2.  Paying off the interest on the National Debt (roughly about 350 billion)

Now, if you want to get rid of the IRS, I have no problem with that, but we'd better have an alternative tax system in place before.

Simply put, there is pretty much no way to really get into the budget deficit without cutting either:

1. Social programs (things to do with Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, in that order)

2. Defense expenditures  (I think there are some things you can cut out of here (as being wasteful), but probably not more than 50 billion max.)

Or you can:

3. Raise taxes.

Or you can:

4. Keep spending increases down and hope for another 1990s to boom the federal coffers.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 08:40:44 PM »

Cutting even 25 billion out of defense wouldn't be such a bad option, since some of it's waste anyhow.

We should leave raising taxes on the table, we don't have to do it by much, but considering the spending increases, it's about time we do that.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 08:48:31 PM »

Cutting even 25 billion out of defense wouldn't be such a bad option, since some of it's waste anyhow.

We should leave raising taxes on the table, we don't have to do it by much, but considering the spending increases, it's about time we do that.

Considering the spending increases that we've had, it is high time we cut the pointless spending increases and cut spending in other places.

I will oppose tax increases on the hard-working citizens of Atlasia unless it is "absolutely" necessary, which is almost never.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 08:57:24 PM »

Considering the spending increases that we've had, it is high time we cut the pointless spending increases and cut spending in other places.

I will oppose tax increases on the hard-working citizens of Atlasia unless it is "absolutely" necessary, which is almost never.

We should do what we can to make sure the cuts aren't totally slanted one way, cut equally from favored programs of both sides. If we do that, we save ourselves the precious time that would otherwise be spent on a never-ending argument over whether building a school or a bomber is a more effective use of money.

How about a tax increase (if this is already done, then there's no need, but I'm trouble getting onto the Wiki at the moment) on those over $500,000. I don't mean to sound like Naso throwing around random numbers, I think if the senate considers raising taxes, which is a viable option, that is a good starting point, which can be tweaked by those who know better what they are talking about. 

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 09:09:51 PM »

We should do what we can to make sure the cuts aren't totally slanted one way, cut equally from favored programs of both sides. If we do that, we save ourselves the precious time that would otherwise be spent on a never-ending argument over whether building a school or a bomber is a more effective use of money.

How about a tax increase (if this is already done, then there's no need, but I'm trouble getting onto the Wiki at the moment) on those over $500,000. I don't mean to sound like Naso throwing around random numbers, I think if the senate considers raising taxes, which is a viable option, that is a good starting point, which can be tweaked by those who know better what they are talking about. 

I have no favored programs whatsoever.  I am a fiscal hawk true and true.  If there is no need for a new school or a new bomber, then I won't spend for it (though the last time I checked, the Federal government does not build local schools, local school districts do).

I'll be quite honest that my knowledge of wasteful social programs and unfunded mandates is quite better than my knowledge of wasteful military spending.

If the Secretary of the Defense or John Ford or Jake would have ideas as to wasteful defense spending that could be cut, I'm all ears.

But I will not raise taxes during a weak and stagnant economy unless "absolutely" necessary.  Please talk to your Senators or someone in the Senate willing to place a bill raising taxes.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 09:19:11 PM »

Depends on what you call wasteful.  If you don't like the Missle Defense Research, you would cut that, if you think, like Akno, that we shouldn't build a replacement for 30 year old fighters, you could cut the F-35 and F-22 programs, if you think we don't need new amphibious assault ships, you can cut funding to build the new San Antonio Class warships. 
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 09:43:04 PM »

I have no favored programs whatsoever.  I am a fiscal hawk true and true.  If there is no need for a new school or a new bomber, then I won't spend for it (though the last time I checked, the Federal government does not build local schools, local school districts do).

I'll be quite honest that my knowledge of wasteful social programs and unfunded mandates is quite better than my knowledge of wasteful military spending.

If the Secretary of the Defense or John Ford or Jake would have ideas as to wasteful defense spending that could be cut, I'm all ears.

But I will not raise taxes during a weak and stagnant economy unless "absolutely" necessary.  Please talk to your Senators or someone in the Senate willing to place a bill raising taxes.

I'm certainly open to cutting social programs, such as the cutting of the Educational Act, since I now realize it was a poorly written bill, and overall I'm happy with the 4 billion or so that will go to the education sub-department.

You may not favor new military expenses, but many on your side of the fence do. I also think we cannot cut vital (wide definition obviously, which makes it hard to legislate) social programs during a weak and stagnant economy unless it's absolutely neccessary.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 10:19:53 PM »

Senate Introduction Act

Clause #1
Those who are members of Senate, must wait 72 hours (three days) before proposing legislation. Therefore, if a senator proposes legislation on a Monday, that Senator must wait 72 hours, until Friday.

Clause #2
All Senators, including the President-Pro Tempore must obey this rule.

Clause #3
Any senator who goes against this law, will not be allowed to propose legislation for 120 hours, or five days.

Clause #4
If this bill passes, and is signed by the President, the law should be put into affect by June the first, 2005.

If a Senator proposes it Monday, then he can't really propose it until 72 hours which would be Wednesday but he has to wait an additional 72 hours until he proposes it then?

Also, Senate law isn't a Presidential thing...no signature needed.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 10:24:22 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2005, 10:28:37 PM by AFCJ KEmperor »

Senate Introduction Act

Clause #1
Those who are members of Senate, must wait 72 hours (three days) before proposing legislation. Therefore, if a senator proposes legislation on a Monday, that Senator must wait 72 hours, until Friday.

Clause #2

Clause #3
Any senator who goes against this law, will not be allowed to propose legislation for 120 hours, or five days.

Clause #4
If this bill passes, and is signed by the President, the law should be put into affect by June the first, 2005.

Ok, I don't really get Clause #1.  You say a Senator must wait 72 hours (three days) before proposing legislation. Therefore, if a senator proposes legislation on a Monday, that Senator must wait 72 hours, until Friday.  First off, three days after monday is Thursday, not Friday.  But beyond that, how can you propose legislation before you can propose legislation?  The law makes no sense as written.  So if I were a Senator, I would have to propose legislation on a Monday, which is illegal, and then propose the same legislation again on Friday?  Insane.

Also, Clause #3 says that anyone who opposes this law isn't allowed to propose legislation for 120 hours?  So anyone who votes against this law won't be able to propose legislation for 5 days if it passes?  That is beyond stupid, and probably unconstitutional.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2005, 10:27:49 PM »

Ok, I don't really get Clause #1.  You say a Senator must wait 72 hours (three days) before proposing legislation. Therefore, if a senator proposes legislation on a Monday, that Senator must wait 72 hours, until Friday.  First off, three days after monday is Thursday, not Friday.  But beyond that, how can you propose legislation before you can propose legislation?  The law makes no sense as written.  So if I were a Senator, I would have to propose legislation on a Monday, which is illegal, and then propose the same legislation again on Friday?  Insane.

Also, Clause #3 says that anyone who opposes this law isn't allowed to propose legislation for 120 hours?  So anyone who votes against this law won't be able to propose legislation for 5 days if it passes?  That is beyond stupid, and probably unconstitutional.

It isn't unconstitutional because it is a Senate law and is sort of non-binding to the constitution.

Anyway, it has been deleted...nothing to see here folks!

Naso, please stop writing your own legislation and let King write it for you next time.

Don't get Keystone Phil and Akno started on that...
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2005, 10:31:49 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2005, 10:36:23 PM by Senator MAS117 »

Senate Introduction Act

Clause #1

Clause #2

Clause #3

Clause #4

wow, i dont understand at all. since when can we jsut delete bills introduced also?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2005, 10:38:14 PM »

Senate Introduction Act

Clause #1

Clause #2

Clause #3

Clause #4

wow, i dont understand at all. since when can we jsut delete bills introduced also?

Why do you want to continue this madness?  It is gone, he silently withdrew it...there is no law on this anyway.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 03:20:56 AM »

Senate Procedure Resolution on Introduced Legislation
§1.  The Senate of Atlasia shall form a 3-person Senate Committee on Introduced Legislation.

§2.  Before a bill shall be allowed to be put to a vote, the Committee shall be required to approve of the legislation.

§3.  The Committee shall have the power to amend the bills for the purpose of keeping the legislation Constitutional, original*, and grammatically suitable for legislative action.

§4.  If a proposal is urgent, the President Pro Tempore or President of the Senate shall have the power to suspend the rules and send the bill directly to a vote.

Footnotes
* The term original shall be defined as not including laws or appropriating funds already similar or equal to that of existing law.

While I understand the purpose for this, I have two problems with sections 1, 2, and 3 of this legislation:

1. This introduces more bureaucracy and hoops that we must jump through before we're able to do our job.  I would personally prefer to keep the process involving as few steps as is necessary.

2. I really don't like the fact that three people would be able to effectively kill any legislation that they want.  This seems entirely undemocratic and contrary to what the Senate is supposed to be for: a place where any ideas can be brought to the floor, discussed, and then voted on.  I don't like the thought of having three people who are able to say "no, you can't discuss this".

I recognize that this is intended to speed up the Senate's workings by tossing out pointless legislation, but given that we have resolutions in place that allow for a vote after only twenty-four hours, I don't really think anything along these lines is necessary.  It seems too open to abuse; the potential good does not outweight the potential bad, in my opinion.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 04:13:19 AM »

I also dislike the fact a three-man committee decides what will be voted on and what won't be voted on.  And if you can't write legislation that's not constitutional or original, then you shouldn't be writing legislation at all.

Personally, I have at least taken the time to read the Constitution, as every Senator should imo, and if I have any qualms about Constitutional questions on legislation, I ask the experts first.

Clause 4 seems redundant.  Doesn't the PPT or the President of the Senate already have that power?

The system, as it right now, works fine.  Things have gone much, much faster and better legislation has been written as a whole.

I also find it ironic that the person whose bills fit the profile of some of things this legislation is trying to supposedly fix is coming up with this legislation himself.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2005, 10:35:32 AM »

I personally do not like the idea of a three man committee. It is too susceptable to cronyism and corruption. The committee could stop rightist or leftist or centrist, depending on who controls the committee, legislation from being debated on. It could also be used against opponents of the committee. People that the committee doesn't like could not have any of their legislation approved. This can also be used to sway elections by not allowing the Senator to seem active. Also the committee could twist and amend the bills so much that they go against their original purpose. All of these things could harm the activities of the Senate and lead to an increase in corruption.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2005, 08:11:16 PM »

They don't decide just because they don't like the bill.  It has to have unconstitutional parts and they can only get rid of or change the language on those circumstances...it isn't like they could amend a healthcare bill into a declaration of war just because they disagree with it...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies