Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 02:58:44 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  Farming Freedom Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Farming Freedom Act (Debating)  (Read 155 times)
Senator Lumine (PPT)
LumineVonReuental
YaBB God
Chile

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2014, 12:00:54 pm »
Ignore

Slot: 5 (General, PPT Administered)

Farming Freedom Act

Section 1: Decartelization of Agriculture

1. The following legislative acts are hereby repealed in their entirety:
a. Agricultural Marketing Agreement Act of 1937
b. Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1938

2. The Department of Agriculture is hereby prohibited from issuing any directive or regulation limiting or requiring the production of any agricultural commodity, requiring that any agricultural commodity be sold above or below a certain price, or prohibiting or restricting the transport of any agricultural commodity to any location within the Republic of Atlasia.

3. The Department of Agriculture is hereby prohibited from distributing any form of subsidy or compensation to agricultural commodity producers or processors in exchange for said producers producing or not producing any commodity, or in exchange for said producers and/or processors selling any commodity within a certain price range.

Section 2: Elimination of Growing Regulations

1. For the purposes of this legislation, ďagricultural productĒ shall be defined as agricultural, horticultural, viticultural, and dairy products, livestock and the products thereof, the products of poultry and bee raising, the edible products of forestry, and any and all products raised or produced on farms.

2. Effective upon the passage of this act, all Federal regulations restricting or prohibiting the production of any agricultural product, or regulating the quality or content thereof, are hereby rendered null and void.

3. The Department of Agriculture may continue to issue directives or regulations mandating labeling requirements for agricultural products or regulating the treatment of livestock.

Senator Deus, as sponsor you have 24 hours to advocate for this act.
Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 01:16:51 pm »
Ignore

The initial point I'd like to make is as of 2017 there will be no subsidies for agriculture from us, due to this law: http://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/The_Let%E2%80%99s_Really_Eliminate_Farm_Subsidies_Act
Senator Lumine (PPT)
LumineVonReuental
YaBB God
Chile

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 08:49:27 pm »
Ignore

Bump! Sponsor?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -7.65

P P
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 10:39:53 pm »
Ignore

Thank you, Mr. PPT.

The purpose of this piece of legislation is to repeal statutes, regulations, and programs which distort agricultural markets and benefit incumbent cartels at the expense of their competitors and Atlasian consumers.

As part of the horrendous "New Deal" reforms of the 1930's, the Agricultural Marketing Agreement Act established a system of Federal "marketing orders" whereby the Federal government is able to determine the supply of agricultural commodities, as well as set prices. These orders need only be approved by a 2/3 majority of the producers they are being applied to, so majoritarian cartels are able to prohibit entrepreneurial competitors from offering produce to Atlasian consumers (especially those who struggle with food security) at lower prices. Moreover, the price of a commodity can be inflated at whim, making food more expensive and protecting incumbent producers from competition. This is cartel behavior, plain and simple.

Also part of the New Deal, the Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1938 created price-support programs for a number of agricultural commodities, meaning that the Federal government pays growers of certain commodities a minimum price for their produce. This keeps prices at a minimum price level even if consumer demand would result in a lower equilibrium price. In other words, these programs make food more expensive and incentivize the production of certain commodities regardless of whether or not there is actually consumer demand for them. In addition, these payments artificially increase land values, hurting tenant farmers and making it more difficult to purchase land, which hurts small farmers and benefits large corporate operations. The DoA is still authorized to distribute these subsidies under the AAA, so even it's unclear whether the previous bill would have dealt with this.

Finally, this bill repeals Federal growing regulations to allow farmers to make their own decisions about what they produce on their own land and sell to consumers. Dairy farmers, for example, are currently prohibited from selling raw milk, which is a needless restriction on their right of free exchange. This bill still allows for labeling requirements, so consumers will still know what they're getting; it'll simply be up to them whether they consider it desirable to consume (as it should be).

Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:05:17 am »
Ignore

Section 2 subsection 2 is crazy.

If taken literally it would mean that the government couldn't enforce a regulation ensuring that food was actually safe to eat.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:20:37 am by Senator bore »Logged
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:29:51 am »
Ignore

Deus, do you think there's a feasible middle course between the current regime of regulations and allowing nothing but labeling requirements? I'm sympathetic to your argument about freedom of exchange, but I also don't have time to read the labels on every item at the supermarket.

I oppose GMO labeling requirements for a similar reason: People ignore most labels (and only ignore them more when additional labels are added), so only the most critical ones should be required. By doing more, we're setting an unrealistic expectation and burdening consumers. 

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
Senator Cynic
Dr. Cynic
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 02:25:04 pm »
Ignore

There's no way I'm voting for a bill that will basically strip all safeguards and regulations on food. As someone who frequently eats, probably more than the rest of you, I don't feel that I should have to worry whether or not what I'm consuming will kill me at the dinner table. I intend to let the food I eat kill me naturally at 50 of a heart attack.

Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 05:49:31 pm »
Ignore

I believe the Atlasian Senate has a wider responsibility for public safety outside of declaring war.

No way I'm supporting this as it stands.

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 11:47:43 pm »
Ignore

So amendments then?
Quote from: Amendment Offered
Farming Freedom Act

Section 1: Decartelization of Agriculture

1. The following legislative acts are hereby repealed in their entirety:
a. Agricultural Marketing Agreement Act of 1937
b. Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1938

2. The Department of Agriculture is hereby prohibited from issuing any directive or regulation limiting or requiring the production of any agricultural commodity, requiring that any agricultural commodity be sold above or below a certain price, or prohibiting or restricting the transport of any agricultural commodity to any location within the Republic of Atlasia.

3. The Department of Agriculture is hereby prohibited from distributing any form of subsidy or compensation to agricultural commodity producers or processors in exchange for said producers producing or not producing any commodity, or in exchange for said producers and/or processors selling any commodity within a certain price range.

Section 2: Elimination of Growing Regulations

1. For the purposes of this legislation, “agricultural product” shall be defined as agricultural, horticultural, viticultural, and dairy products, livestock and the products thereof, the products of poultry and bee raising, the edible products of forestry, and any and all products raised or produced on farms.

2. Effective upon the passage of this act, all Federal regulations restricting or prohibiting the production of any agricultural product, or regulating the quality or content thereof, are hereby rendered null and void.

3. The Department of Agriculture may continue to issue directives or regulations mandating labeling requirements for agricultural products or regulating the treatment of livestock.

Seems like the only starting point if anything is to come of this.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -7.65

P P
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:18:46 am »
Ignore

Friendly.

Pages: [1] Print