Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:25:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 306158 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: March 27, 2010, 11:49:46 PM »

Does it look familiar? That's because it was a bill that was discussed and heavily debated a few sessions ago. It passed the Senate vote, but failed the public vote.
Some key differences between this version and the other version:
- This version is, overall, more specific than the other version.
- This version requires the voting ot be done in STV, while I believe the other didn't specify.
- On this version, all regions part of the possible deal have to vote 60% in favor. In the other version, it only needed a simple majority.

This sounds like an excellent idea that will make Senatorial elections more interesting.

Plus the partnerships are entirely voluntary, so regions themselves can decide whether to participate.

Endorsed by this Atlasian citizen.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1451 on: March 28, 2010, 05:20:42 PM »

The only problem is that there needs to be a method for a region to leave the partnership if it changes its mind.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1452 on: March 28, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »

The only problem is that there needs to be a method for a region to leave the partnership if it changes its mind.
Yes, I read that in the previous thread's discussion after posting this. Wink I'm extremely open to any amendment adding that.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1453 on: April 02, 2010, 02:26:47 AM »

One of ya'll needs to read this and write a constitutional amendment fixing it.

Whoever says that someone with under 100 posts can't contribute, think again. Wink
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #1454 on: April 04, 2010, 08:00:42 PM »

Does it look familiar? That's because it was a bill that was discussed and heavily debated a few sessions ago. It passed the Senate vote, but failed the public vote.
- This version requires the voting ot be done in STV, while I believe the other didn't specify.
- On this version, all regions part of the possible deal have to vote 60% in favor. In the other version, it only needed a simple majority.

Interesting, but might I ask why?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1455 on: April 04, 2010, 08:13:46 PM »

Recently, Regional Senate elections have gotten rather boring, with only one "close" result in February, which was the Northeast. This could possibly bring back some spice to Regional Senate seats, without taking them away. I guess you could call this an alternative to abolishing regional seats, a much better alternative that will actually give even more power to the regions, while making the elections even more exciting.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #1456 on: April 04, 2010, 08:17:47 PM »

Recently, Regional Senate elections have gotten rather boring, with only one "close" result in February, which was the Northeast. This could possibly bring back some spice to Regional Senate seats, without taking them away.

Interesting, but I don't have a lot of hope that many people in the regions would be incredibly excited about entering a 'partnership,' It would be nice to 'diversify' the regions however, considering the somewhat lagging elections. I do hope this passes however, simply to switch around things in the game.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1457 on: April 04, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »

Recently, Regional Senate elections have gotten rather boring, with only one "close" result in February, which was the Northeast. This could possibly bring back some spice to Regional Senate seats, without taking them away.

Interesting, but I don't have a lot of hope that many people in the regions would be incredibly excited about entering a 'partnership,' It would be nice to 'diversify' the regions however, considering the somewhat lagging elections. I do hope this passes however, simply to switch around things in the game.

What did you have in mind when saying "'diversify' the regions"? Because honestly, I'm desperate right now, and I know others are, for a boost in Atlasia, and anyone's imput would be greatly appreciated.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1458 on: April 07, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »

Repeal the HAEV Act

The High Authority for Ethics in Voting Act is hereby repealed.

Ahem.  What is the holdup in this being opened on the Senate floor?  Bacon King, I sent you a PM yesterday about this.

There was no space on the floor for the bill then. There isn't really now even, but I'm allowing it in the PPT slot for prudency's sake since slot three will be empty tomorrow anyway and your bill's the next in line. I like to keep the PPT slot open for big emergencies since the "Forum Affairs/Emergency" slot is mostly taken up by the huge amount of Forum Affairs legislation we have.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1459 on: April 13, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »

My recent role in the HAEV and a review of the Statute thread with Barnes has revealed that the following acts relating to the conduct of elections are in force:

Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act (14-2)

Federal Activity Requirements Revision Act (16-4)

Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act (Amendment) Act (21-1)

Proportional Representation Act (21-2)

The Eastern Standard Time Act (21-3)

Proportional Representation (By-Elections) Act (25-4)

Proportional Representation (Class A seats) Act (never enterred force) (27-3)

Restoration of CESRA Act (27-6)

Secret Ballot Bill  (never enterred force) (28-12)

Third Amendment to the Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act (31-23)

The Absentee Voting Act (32-8)

Fourth Amendment to the Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act (34-8)

Amendment to the Absentee Voting Act (35-10)

Fifth Amendment to the Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act (36-7)

Its far too many for any person to be able to understand without devoting several hours. I would like to suggest a consolidation exercise. I'm quite happy to participate in this process as I've done it before, but I need some direction from those with an actual mandate.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1460 on: April 13, 2010, 10:30:17 PM »

^ I'll be perfectly willing to come to the table representing the Justice Department. Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1461 on: April 14, 2010, 08:02:51 AM »

If the Senate consents, I'll come to to the table representing that chamber.

We should probably have a second representative. Although these are reletively non-partisan technocratic issues, at least one Senate rep should be a veteran representive of the conservative wing. Interested Yank? Duke?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1462 on: April 17, 2010, 02:50:18 PM »

Given the number of Cabinet positions being created and the fact that they very greatly in the amount of work required to discharge the duties of the office, perhaps a constitutional amendment could be passed allowing a person to hold multiple Cabinet positions simultaneously. Would someone like to introduce this?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1463 on: April 17, 2010, 02:56:50 PM »

If the Senate consents, I'll come to to the table representing that chamber.

We should probably have a second representative. Although these are reletively non-partisan technocratic issues, at least one Senate rep should be a veteran representive of the conservative wing. Interested Yank? Duke?

I might be interested, but I will warn that between school at day, and my brother taking an "online" course, getting on everyday is difficult.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1464 on: April 20, 2010, 09:12:37 AM »

Yep, here we go again.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1465 on: April 20, 2010, 01:54:27 PM »

Isn't capital punishment already outlawed on the federal level, making this amendment largely pointless?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1466 on: May 03, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »

I have a proposition for the Senate... an annual day of National Celebration on the anniversary of Phil ceasing to be President. It could be called 'Keystone Shill' day.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1467 on: May 04, 2010, 01:06:04 AM »

I have a proposition for the Senate... an annual day of National Celebration on the anniversary of Phil ceasing to be President. It could be called 'Keystone Shill' day.

If the Senate doesn't take up this task I shall make it a campaign pledge.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1468 on: May 05, 2010, 12:33:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Introduced on behalf of the Renaissance Caucus and Peter.

BK, do you think we can ram this through by the Friday?

Sorry for not responding earlier, but no; giving it the minimum debate time would have given it less than a day's leeway before the new Senate. If it was even friendlily amended it would be pushed into the new session. Best to wait, I think. I'll gladly reintroduce it myself, even Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1469 on: May 05, 2010, 04:07:34 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Introduced on behalf of the Renaissance Caucus and Peter.

BK, do you think we can ram this through by the Friday?

Sorry for not responding earlier, but no; giving it the minimum debate time would have given it less than a day's leeway before the new Senate. If it was even friendlily amended it would be pushed into the new session. Best to wait, I think. I'll gladly reintroduce it myself, even Smiley

Yea, I will withraw it untill then.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1470 on: May 23, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »

Due to Bgwah's amendment to the CCJA last month, isn't Clause one of Section one about impersonation reduntant with Clause 7 of section one?

Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1471 on: June 04, 2010, 11:16:15 PM »

Repeal the Sixteenth Amendment

If some Senator could take up this cause for me, I would appreciate it. 

The 16th amendment dictates that registered voters be removed after failing to vote for 8 months (4 elections).  This amends the original rule of removal after not voting for 4 months (2 elections).  I have no idea why this amendment was added.  As the RG, it is my feeling that this lengthy requirement unnecessarily clutters the voting rolls with registrants who have clearly left, and are not coming back.  Besides, if someone is removed by a shorter time frame who did not wish to be, that person can easily fix the problem by simply registering again.

Thank you,
Fritz
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1472 on: June 05, 2010, 08:54:16 PM »

Repeal the Sixteenth Amendment

If some Senator could take up this cause for me, I would appreciate it. 

The 16th amendment dictates that registered voters be removed after failing to vote for 8 months (4 elections).  This amends the original rule of removal after not voting for 4 months (2 elections).  I have no idea why this amendment was added.  As the RG, it is my feeling that this lengthy requirement unnecessarily clutters the voting rolls with registrants who have clearly left, and are not coming back.  Besides, if someone is removed by a shorter time frame who did not wish to be, that person can easily fix the problem by simply registering again.

Thank you,
Fritz

I'll take it up for you.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1473 on: June 05, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »

Thanks Inks!!!

I did some digging into the history behind this, here is the original debate.  Peter, Ernest, and Jas all participated in it.  Perhaps they could speak up in the current amendment's debate as well.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1474 on: June 06, 2010, 01:18:54 AM »

For what it's worth, the argument of wanting to avoid the list continually shrinking seems quite weak. As far as I can see, there's no meaningful difference between having someone on the list who has left the forum & not having that person on there.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies