Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:42:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 303731 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: June 30, 2011, 06:19:54 AM »

The problem is that middleman also has to in the end vote for your bill in order to get passed, and as PiT said, if you can't get someone to introduce it, how could you ever pass it?

And as Marokai generously reminded me, it is indeed a violation of separation of powers. Tongue 
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1651 on: June 30, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »

And as Marokai generously reminded me, it is indeed a violation of separation of powers. Tongue 

Only until we say it's not a violation of separation of powers anymore. Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1652 on: July 26, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »

OSPR Amendment

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Instead of excluding absentions, the best way to improve the tabling process would be to require 2/3rd's approval of the entire Senate rather then "those voting", and if necessary then increase the length of time to 72 hours rather then two days. It's also more in line with the rest of the OSPR to use increments of time (hours) rather then potentially imply the use of a block day (Also known as BK's Salvation Tongue).
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1653 on: July 26, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »

I tried my best to mirror the original text if you want to propose changes feel free.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1654 on: July 29, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »

Great proposal Snowguy I would have done something similar but the Northeast already had it in place Smiley
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1655 on: August 03, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »

Transportation Infrastructure Investment Act

Section 1: Appropriations

1. $10 billion shall be appropriated for the construction of a high speed rail line connecting the cities of Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford, CT and Springfield, Worcester, and Boston, MA.

2. $5 billion shall be appropriated for the construction of a high speed rail line connecting the cities of Portland, OR and Tacoma and Seattle, WA.

3. $5 billion shall be appropriated for the construction of a high speed rail line connecting the cities of Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, and Charlotte, NC.

Section 2: Completion

1. The rail lines are to be completed by 2016.

2. The construction of the rail lines should significantly affect as few private properties as reasonably possible.

3. Existing lines should be updated when it is reasonably possible.

Section 3: Operation

1. These rail lines shall be operated under Section 3 of the High Speed Rail Act.

Great bill, though I think it is a bit too weighted towards high speed rail.  I would like at least some emphasis on expanding mass public transit in urban metropolises throughout Atlasia. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1656 on: August 04, 2011, 09:48:11 PM »

I, uh, know what current law is. I made this specific to health care as to override the "doctors" in the Mideast trying to determine what is a valid medical treatments. The federal government guarantees health care.

Kudos to you.  I did was not sure exactly what the law was.  It was in 2006, I think.  Very good research.

As far as you argument...I see you are fan of Marokai's interpretation of a the word "demonstration" in Clause 13, Section 5, Article 1 of the Third Constitution.  I myself respectfully disagree with it.  I just don't see it that way, but then again I am a strict constructionist.

However, an argument could be made that the amendment to the above bill gives the region the right you are trying to take away from them.

As far as "doctors" (your quotes) and "valid medical treatments" (my sarcastic quotes, not at you but rather based on my experience), I have a friend who got a prescription for marijuana for headaches (probably due to the fact he was hung over) while his girlfriend got them for PMS.  I do question a lot of the "doctors" (this time my quotes, because the guy who gave the prescription was not an MD or anything medical related).  Thus, returning to my opinion that we should just legalize it and do away with the facade.

Just my opinion.  While I was typing, I saw Tmth's post.  he is right.  I just wanted to respond in a way that I know someone would see the whole discussion.  I will now depart.

Not my research, it was pointed out to me a few months ago. Though the article of the month touches on it.

Anyway, this bill was written to protect patients from reactionary conservatives. We have a national health care system in place so it makes sense that we hold each region to the same health care standard. It is also pretty obvious that the Mideast government is clueless about marijuana so it is sad IMO to see them discuss it as if serious. The idea that marijuana leads to child abuse almost made me choke from laughter. Good grief.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #1657 on: August 04, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »

I, uh, know what current law is. I made this specific to health care as to override the "doctors" in the Mideast trying to determine what is a valid medical treatments. The federal government guarantees health care.

Kudos to you.  I did was not sure exactly what the law was.  It was in 2006, I think.  Very good research.

As far as you argument...I see you are fan of Marokai's interpretation of a the word "demonstration" in Clause 13, Section 5, Article 1 of the Third Constitution.  I myself respectfully disagree with it.  I just don't see it that way, but then again I am a strict constructionist.

However, an argument could be made that the amendment to the above bill gives the region the right you are trying to take away from them.

As far as "doctors" (your quotes) and "valid medical treatments" (my sarcastic quotes, not at you but rather based on my experience), I have a friend who got a prescription for marijuana for headaches (probably due to the fact he was hung over) while his girlfriend got them for PMS.  I do question a lot of the "doctors" (this time my quotes, because the guy who gave the prescription was not an MD or anything medical related).  Thus, returning to my opinion that we should just legalize it and do away with the facade.

Just my opinion.  While I was typing, I saw Tmth's post.  he is right.  I just wanted to respond in a way that I know someone would see the whole discussion.  I will now depart.

Not my research, it was pointed out to me a few months ago. Though the article of the month touches on it.

Anyway, this bill was written to protect patients from reactionary conservatives. We have a national health care system in place so it makes sense that we hold each region to the same health care standard. It is also pretty obvious that the Mideast government is clueless about marijuana so it is sad IMO to see them discuss it as if serious. The idea that marijuana leads to child abuse almost made me choke from laughter. Good grief.

True about the national health care system, although I believe a real argument could be made that it is unconstitutional.  Only Marokai's decision on the Court makes it even close to legal, in my humble opinion.  For a little while Marokai and I debated this...until he kicked my butt in front of the Supreme Court.

As far as the the child abuse, it does seem a little out there...but I have seen a few cases of it.  Also homcide.  But way more cases where alcohol was the reason. 

To be clear, I would just legalize it -- medicial or not.  But, I am a regionalist.   I also think, based on my reading of the court that you might win.  I disagree but then again they are the law of the land.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1658 on: September 04, 2011, 11:10:33 PM »

It's a shame that the regional elections amendment went to a vote without an agreement on the details. I counted 6 votes in favor of the general principle, which would be enough with only 8-9 sworn in Senators.
It seems like if you had the SoFE distribute the Presidential election section of the ballot to the various regions (to vote alongside the region administered Senate race), which would then be returned to the SoFE for counting and certifying, that might have worked as a good compromise.

So basically, if this fails, it's not a reason to give up on the idea.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1659 on: September 05, 2011, 04:26:44 AM »

Great point shua and thank you for taking my rather lengthy report into consideration. Smiley
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1660 on: September 24, 2011, 02:27:01 PM »

Is the Senate going to address the secessionist movements currently running rampant?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1661 on: October 03, 2011, 05:01:15 PM »

Privacy Protection Act

FL 36-11 is hereby repealed.

Yeah! It's about time someone stood up in defense of the privacy of drunk drivers!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1662 on: October 03, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »

Privacy Protection Act

FL 36-11 is hereby repealed.

Yeah! It's about time someone stood up in defense of the privacy of drunk drivers!

The breath test has proven to be inaccurate and more often than not gives an inflated result. If an officer suspects a driver of being drunk there are many options for field sobreity tests that should be videotaped when performing and admissable as evidence. Further, if one feels that an officer has wrongfully determined them to be intoxicated through field tests they should retain the option to submit a blood sample test that is much more accurate than a breath test.

And to top it off, this is a coercive law that jeapordizes a region's ability to enforce its laws.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1663 on: October 03, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »

Your concerns over accuracy of tests are justifiable, but a clean repeal of that law has absolutely nothing to do with what you're trying to accomplish. You're not proposing a modification to the statute to make the law more fair, you're proposing the repeal of a law that makes it illegal to refuse sobriety tests and punishes individuals more severely if they have committed the same offense in the past.

That has approximately.. let's see.. carry the one.. 0% to do with what you just argued it was for.

Also, I happen to remember when that law was passed. It does not restrict the lawmaking capacity of regions to do anything. There are several exceptions for regional law and all the Act does is make a minimum level of criminality in the default, with an automatic deference to regional law if a regional law is actually in place. Explain to me how that is "coercive" and "jeopardizes" anything in regions beyond your empty rhetoric.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1664 on: October 03, 2011, 05:21:43 PM »

When the Senate gets to this bill, we will all provide opinions and come together for a solution. As you may have noticed, I like to propose these things simply to spark debate. Once people are paying attention, we can improve our Statute collectively. You're making a way bigger deal about this than it needs to be.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1665 on: October 03, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »

I merely using the Senate Protest and Analysis thread to protest something that you are trying to pass under entirely false pretenses.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1666 on: October 03, 2011, 07:48:19 PM »

I'm going to be blunt. Repealing of the Privacy Protection Act was sensless. Law in Atlasia is directly contradicting forum rules.

Beside, I'm opposing violating or private conversations as a principle.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1667 on: October 03, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »

I'm going to be blunt. Repealing of the Privacy Protection Act was sensless. Law in Atlasia is directly contradicting forum rules.

Beside, I'm opposing violating or private conversations as a principle.

I've always agreed with you on this Kal.

Napoleon, I think you need to change the name of your bill. There is a Privacy Protection Act that was passed before (and then repealed), and calling an unrelated bill by the same name would be very confusing.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1668 on: October 03, 2011, 09:46:47 PM »

Thank you. I was wondering why some were confused. Ill think of a more appropriate title.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1669 on: October 04, 2011, 06:48:55 AM »

Thank you. I was wondering why some were confused. Ill think of a more appropriate title.

You know, something like "Repeal of the Repeal" Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1670 on: October 07, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »

I want to remind Senators that the important Libya Aid Bill is still awaiting passage Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1671 on: October 16, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »

I want to remind Senators that the important Libya Aid Bill is still awaiting passage Smiley

As is the most recent FPR.  Let's not totally ignore foreign policy, guys.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1672 on: October 16, 2011, 02:30:29 PM »

It's next in the queue.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1673 on: October 16, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »

Excellent!
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1674 on: October 18, 2011, 01:45:41 PM »

And we should have a slot specifically for foreign affairs soon anyway, as it looks like the OSPR amendment will pass.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies