Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:58:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 303720 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: May 21, 2012, 08:14:10 PM »

I do not understand what you are trying to say. When ilikeverin remarked on how Northeastern voters are under-represented in the Senate due to population imbalance you applied Northeastern At Large Senators to our delegation to argue it was fair. Either your argument here is full of crap or your argument there was full of crap because it is contradictory to say regions can't be represented by At Large Senators now.

Additionally, I do not understand why I should care less about reducing the voting public's influence in the lawmaking process by reducing seats than reducing regions' influence by not having an exactly equal number of seats for each side. I care more about the game being able to function properly than I do anything else.

No that is not what I was doing. I was playing devil's advocate and that would have been clear had my second post not gotten lost in transmission and the internet refused to cooperate for the rest of that day. Now that bill already seems to be winding down and thus my full range of points that I would have made, won't get to be made most likely. But the primary thrust of my arguement was the same one I made here above. The necessity of maintaining regional seats and maintaining them in equal numbers to the At-Large seats.

That is your decision to make, not mine.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1826 on: May 22, 2012, 07:24:56 AM »

I'll just go ahead and put what I said in the poll thread in here.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1827 on: June 10, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »

Does Atlasia have its own version of the Glass-Steagall Act in effect?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1828 on: June 11, 2012, 08:20:54 PM »

Does Atlasia have its own version of the Glass-Steagall Act in effect?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1829 on: June 12, 2012, 11:47:24 AM »

It was reinstated in 2008.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1830 on: June 12, 2012, 01:45:31 PM »

Is the bill on the wiki?  I couldn't find it on there.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1831 on: June 12, 2012, 02:47:44 PM »

Airport Renaming Act
1) Mondale National Airport shall henceforth be known as Purple State National Airport.
2) Arbenz International Airport shall henceforth be known as Colin Wixted International Airport.

Couldn't you rename other airports instead of the ones that have already been renamed?
Responding here to avoid clutter...
The reasoning behind this is that both of these airports were originally named after conservatives, and a very liberal Senate we had a while back decided it would be funny to anger the conservatives and change it to two liberals, leading many to have bitterness over an act of partisan hackery. This bill is an attempt to find common ground by instead naming the airports after two respected former Presidents.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1832 on: June 12, 2012, 02:52:03 PM »

Also, Purple State and Colin were two people with sentimental value, as Colin was President when I joined, and Purple State made me SoEA and helped rehabilitate me after my scandal.  This is an attempt to honor two good men.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1833 on: June 12, 2012, 03:06:31 PM »

Airport Renaming Act
1) Mondale National Airport shall henceforth be known as Purple State National Airport.
2) Arbenz International Airport shall henceforth be known as Colin Wixted International Airport.

Couldn't you rename other airports instead of the ones that have already been renamed?
Responding here to avoid clutter...
The reasoning behind this is that both of these airports were originally named after conservatives, and a very liberal Senate we had a while back decided it would be funny to anger the conservatives and change it to two liberals, leading many to have bitterness over an act of partisan hackery. This bill is an attempt to find common ground by instead naming the airports after two respected former Presidents.

Ah. Seems like a great idea, but is the Senate able to do that (rename airports which lie within the territorial borders of the Mideast and are not part of a federal district)?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1834 on: June 12, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »

Ah. Seems like a great idea, but is the Senate able to do that (rename airports which lie within the territorial borders of the Mideast and are not part of a federal district)?

We did once.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1835 on: June 12, 2012, 03:33:18 PM »

We did once.

Yes, but was that occurrence a legitimate exercise of federal power?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1836 on: June 12, 2012, 03:36:29 PM »

I believe so.  The two airports are national and international; that justifies federal involvement.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1837 on: June 12, 2012, 04:11:34 PM »

I believe so.  The two airports are national and international; that justifies federal involvement.

So if an airport has (inter)national in its name, the federal government can change said name? So if there's an airport (say Key West International Airport), and I'm a Senator, I can make a bill renaming it after me?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1838 on: June 12, 2012, 05:02:18 PM »

So if an airport has (inter)national in its name, the federal government can change said name? So if there's an airport (say Key West International Airport), and I'm a Senator, I can make a bill renaming it after me?

An airport that serves areas outside of any one region are under the jurisdiction of the federal government.  You could, but it wouldn't pass.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1839 on: June 13, 2012, 04:16:43 PM »

I have something better, I have the links. They are saved in folder called Senate Bills in My Documents, on the computer that won't go online. I also can't access the folder at present for transference via flash drive because I am running a program on that machine, that won't finish until about 10 PM or so.

Try the Financial Services Reform Act of 2008. I am pretty sure that is what it is called.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1840 on: June 13, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »

I think what you're talking about is this, or possibly this.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1841 on: June 14, 2012, 07:18:45 PM »

Articles of Impeachment

Attorney General Fuzzybigfoot shall hereby be tried by impeachment on the following five counts:

The High Crimes and Misdemeanors of

Armed robbery.
Burglary.
Criminal trespassing.
Criminal breach of the peace.
Conspiracy against rights.

Following impeachment by the People on any or all of the above counts, Fuzzybigfoot shall be considered immediately removed from office and banned from holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia for a period of no less than twelve (12) months.

Did I miss something here?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1842 on: June 14, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2012, 07:30:58 PM by SoEA SJoyceFla »

Articles of Impeachment

Attorney General Fuzzybigfoot shall hereby be tried by impeachment on the following five counts:

Armed robbery.
Burglary.
Criminal trespassing.

Following impeachment by the People on any or all of the above counts, Fuzzybigfoot shall be considered immediately removed from office and banned from holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia for a period of no less than twelve (12) months.

If you missed anything, check in the IDS Legislature page, the office of Emperor PiT, and the office of the Attorney General. https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=150826.msg3326604#msg3326604. Basically, Wormy thinks Fuzzy should be impeached for his actions.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1843 on: June 14, 2012, 07:36:49 PM »

Articles of Impeachment

Armed robbery.
Burglary.
Criminal trespassing.

If you missed anything, check in the IDS Legislature page, the office of Emperor PiT, and the office of the Attorney General. https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=150826.msg3326604#msg3326604. Basically, Wormy thinks Fuzzy should be impeached for his actions.

Quite odd.  I don't see how what Fuzzy is doing is unlawful in any way.  And what do armed robbery and burglary have anything to do with this?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1844 on: June 14, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »

Articles of Impeachment

Armed robbery.
Burglary.
Criminal trespassing.

Quite odd.  I don't see how what Fuzzy is doing is unlawful in any way.  And what do armed robbery and burglary have anything to do with this?

His armed agents broke into buildings throughout the IDS and stole large quantities of valuables.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1845 on: June 14, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »

His armed agents broke into buildings throughout the IDS and stole large quantities of valuables.

Is that confirmed by the GM/SoIA?  Otherwise, I don't see where this goes (as is, I'm inclined not to support this).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1846 on: June 14, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »

Is that confirmed by the GM/SoIA?  Otherwise, I don't see where this goes (as is, I'm inclined not to support this).

He said his agents were seizing all Dibble-exchange facilities throughout the IDS, and the SoIA reported such in his newspaper thing.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1847 on: June 14, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »

He said his agents were seizing all Dibble-exchange facilities throughout the IDS, and the SoIA reported such in his newspaper thing.

You're citing Jake's perceived understanding of my order, rather than the order itself. 

Executive order from the Office of the Attorney General, Fuzzybigfoot:

This administration charges the Imperial Region with breaking Second Clause of Section 7, Article 1 of Atlasia's third constitution by creating a regional curency (the "Dibble") under the Second Section of the Trojan Act

Due to said violations, Federal Agents will seize control of all exchange places listed in the Trojan Act (including the Imperial Capital of Memphis and all other state capitals in the Southern region) and cease the exchange and distribution of "Dibbles" to all Southern citizens.

Stand by for an impending lawsuit against the Imperial South.

As you can see in the text above, I did not order my agents to steal anything.  I simply commanded them to take control of the exchange facilities so no more Dibbles could be distributed.  They didn't move anything.  When I ordered them to stand down after a standoff with local police forces, they left and didn't take anything with them. 

It would be great if you could simply base your talking points on actual facts.  But I'm getting the feeling that you won't, considering how you were already in my office attempting to decipher the legal semantics for yourself, before giving up and taking on someone elses viewpoint as your own.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1848 on: June 14, 2012, 11:47:45 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2012, 12:02:17 AM by President Polnut »

As most things Senator Wormy posts, it's not based on anything related to reality.

The order issued with my approval from the Attorney General, did not approve the 'removal' of dibbles, but the control of the exchange and minting facilities in order to prevent any further issuance.

That's all.

However, if there's evidence the agents were beyond their remit, we will treat that seriously and manage accordingly.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1849 on: June 15, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2012, 08:11:19 AM by SoEA SJoyceFla »

You're citing Jake's perceived understanding of my order, rather than the order itself. 

As you can see in the text above, I did not order my agents to steal anything.  I simply commanded them to take control of the exchange facilities so no more Dibbles could be distributed.  They didn't move anything.  When I ordered them to stand down after a standoff with local police forces, they left and didn't take anything with them. 

It would be great if you could simply base your talking points on actual facts.  But I'm getting the feeling that you won't, considering how you were already in my office attempting to decipher the legal semantics for yourself, before giving up and taking on someone elses viewpoint as your own.

Of course I'm citing Jake's understanding of your order; when someone asks for information from "the GM/SoIA", one typically cites something from either the GM or SoIA. I would assume Ben had already seen the order himself, and was asking if Jake or Shua had posted anything related to it, which Jake had, and that is what I cited.

As for the robbery charge, while your agents did not move the Dibbles, they did take control of the places where all the Dibbles were, thus removing possession of the Dibbles from its rightful owner (the private corporation that manufactures them). Robbery is defined as "taking or attempting to take something of value from someone without that person's permission or intent"; while the Dibbles were not moved, they were taken from the distributor (seeing as how they could no longer distribute). To address your second point, theft is theft, no matter how you slice it; if you break into someone's home and have their jewelry and flat-screen in your hands, but then they wake up and you say, "Just kidding", give it back, and leave, they're perfectly justified in calling the cops for larceny. Returning the Dibbles to the possession of the private manufacturing/distribution company does not make it not-theft. And yes, this is based on the definition of larceny in English common law, or as you put it, an Actual Fact™. And also, my viewpoint is my own viewpoint, and I certainly did not adopt someone else's views as my own, but made my decision based on the facts of the case; whether or not you like my conclusions is another matter.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies