Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:38:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 303730 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1900 on: August 15, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »

In regards to the National University bill proposed by Senators Sbane/Scott: Given that currently the only federal universities are West Point and Annapolis (as well as Air Force Academy, Coast Guard Academy, Merchant Marine Academy, University of Health Sciences, NDU, etc), would it be feasible to make the universities specified in the bill to be specifically schools of political science, law, international relations, economics, that kinda thing, to serve the same purpose as the others, training our youth to join the civilian government sphere?

Well, I wouldn't have a problem with covering those studies with funds from the bill, but I'm not in favor of restricting funds to schools that only specialize in those fields.

Then what is the point of setting up a national university system if not to train students for government work?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1901 on: August 15, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »

In regards to the National University bill proposed by Senators Sbane/Scott: Given that currently the only federal universities are West Point and Annapolis (as well as Air Force Academy, Coast Guard Academy, Merchant Marine Academy, University of Health Sciences, NDU, etc), would it be feasible to make the universities specified in the bill to be specifically schools of political science, law, international relations, economics, that kinda thing, to serve the same purpose as the others, training our youth to join the civilian government sphere?

Well, I wouldn't have a problem with covering those studies with funds from the bill, but I'm not in favor of restricting funds to schools that only specialize in those fields.

Then what is the point of setting up a national university system if not to train students for government work?

The purpose of it is to train students for work in general.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1902 on: August 15, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2012, 02:25:18 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Why not just send funding to the regions for their already existing colleges?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1903 on: August 15, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »

Why not just send funding to the regions for their already existing colleges?

The bill's purpose is to provide funding for new universities in economically distressed areas, but I don't see a problem with that idea, either.

Sbane, Napoleon- your input, please?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1904 on: August 15, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »

Regions are free to use their own money to create new universities as they wish.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1905 on: August 15, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »

Regions are free to use their own money to create new universities as they wish.

Yes, but why pay millions of dollars to create new universities instead of just sending it to the regions to expand their current universities (and link the funding to expansions in economically-distressed areas if you want)?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1906 on: August 18, 2012, 11:22:46 PM »

I don't see why we should only expand existing universities. Or if the regions were going to create more universities with their money, why does it matter if it is a regional one or a federal school? I would favor the regions spending more money and effort on community colleges and state schools (like the CSU system in California) rather than research universities. These regional research universities are fine and should continue to function but their focus should be on the community colleges and state schools. The federal government can then focus on national research universities, which the regions can build in an economically distressed location in their region.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1907 on: August 20, 2012, 12:23:42 AM »

Is there a special process for citizens to discuss issues with the committees? 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1908 on: August 20, 2012, 12:49:51 AM »

Is there a special process for citizens to discuss issues with the committees? 

Just discuss whatever matter you want in the committee thread, we've had no time to plan ahead for these sorts of things. Just keep it on topic and don't disrupt the proceedings. If problems develop we can revise the policy as we go.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1909 on: August 20, 2012, 12:51:44 AM »

Also, you can be expect to be dragged before my committee in chains pretty soon, shua. Evil
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1910 on: August 26, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »

Would anyone happen to know if minor gun safety laws are constitutional in Atlasia?  I'm not sure to what extent the 5th Amendment of Article VI of the Constitution forbids gun laws.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1911 on: August 26, 2012, 12:21:41 AM »

Would anyone happen to know if minor gun safety laws are constitutional in Atlasia?  I'm not sure to what extent the 5th Amendment of Article VI of the Constitution forbids gun laws.

Have we implemented any gun control legislation nationally, at all?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1912 on: August 26, 2012, 12:24:51 AM »

Would anyone happen to know if minor gun safety laws are constitutional in Atlasia?  I'm not sure to what extent the 5th Amendment of Article VI of the Constitution forbids gun laws.

Have we implemented any gun control legislation nationally, at all?

I'm not sure.  I don't think guns have come up since I joined the game last year.  Looking back at the wiki, I believe the Northeast Region passed some type of gun law a few years ago, but I'm honestly not sure if it was even legal given how broad the Fifth Amendment seems to be.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1913 on: August 27, 2012, 12:50:27 AM »

Would anybody know?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1914 on: August 27, 2012, 01:11:56 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Protection_of_the_Right_to_Bear_Arms_Act

That's all I know of. Section 3 was repealed in a later bill.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1915 on: October 01, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »

What would the senators think of selecting committee members during the lame-duck sessions so as to prevent last month's disaster from happening again? Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1916 on: October 01, 2012, 04:29:53 PM »

Atrociousness aside, Hagrid's latest bill is blatantly unconstitutional.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1917 on: October 02, 2012, 12:06:05 AM »

You've always been quite the charmer.

As I've said, I'll change it into an amendment if my fellow senators think we should. I don't see what you gain by being a tool.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1918 on: October 02, 2012, 12:06:30 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2012, 12:10:22 AM by Napoleon »

I was talking about the bill, not you.

I advise against entertaining the idea of election re-dos and re-starts. I don't think we will see many situations like this down the road, if any.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1919 on: October 02, 2012, 12:13:24 AM »

What would the senators think of selecting committee members during the lame-duck sessions so as to prevent last month's disaster from happening again? Tongue

We would have to alter all three resolutions and that open up the prospect of soon to be, but not yet Senators engaging in Senate business. Not that such is definitely a problem, but perhaps it should be avoided if possible.

I think we should amend the root resolution that I passed a few months ago to specify the voting procedures and time window by which it is to take place at the beginning of each Senate. That way we will know in advance what has to be done and won't have to struggle to find someone to count the votes. I was planning to introduce something to that effect today or tomorrow, with the idea that it be considered by the GOR, but events beyond my control have ruined tonight for me. I got sick and so did my computer. Tongue I can't access any of the stuff I have written for the purposes of the Senate.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1920 on: October 02, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »

I've been toying with the idea for a while and the best solution I could find to alleviate your concerns, would be to allow everything to be sorted out and have it assembled for an up or down vote as soon as the session starts.

The Senators-elect and incumbents will gather before the session to determine the PPT and the Committees, similar to how they are now, but beginning immediately after the elections. The incoming Senators will have the elected prepared for an inclusive vote as something of a procedural formality.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1921 on: October 02, 2012, 08:42:22 AM »

I like Napoleon's suggestion.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1922 on: October 05, 2012, 12:33:06 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 12:34:56 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Articles of Impeachment against President Napoleon and SoFE homely:

In accordance with Article 1, Section 2 of the Atlasian Constitution, I propose that the Senate impeach the two above named individuals for official misconduct in the last election.

I only recently discovered (past week or so) that the Impeachment clarification Amendment failedi n the Pacific and the Midwest. Roll Eyes Remember those days when it was South that was difficult on all those amendmnets and how those smug bastids, some of them in those two regions, would mock and scorn the South? Tongue

Anyway, this means that the situation still stands as it did in June when Wormyguy tried to introduce impeachment articles, or simply, what the current constitution said. Basically the ball is in the Chief Justice's court here, from my reading of the appropriate section of the constitution.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1923 on: October 05, 2012, 12:36:55 AM »

Free refill ban:

1.) It shall be a criminal offence to offer a "flat rate" for any drink that contains sugar or alcohol. Listed prices must be valid for an exact quantity and be charged for any additional quantity.

2.) Violators will be fined an amount not to exceed $1,000 per offence.

Because of course, it is an absolute travesty those predatory drink vendors, forcing people at gun point to buy their drinks and then they have the absolute gaul to force them to take seconds. It's practically barbaric, BARBARIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1924 on: October 06, 2012, 03:43:50 PM »

Greetings, Senators,

It is my great privilege to inform the legislative branch that Midwest is no longer a part of Atlasia. Therefore, any attempts by anyone to sit here as "Midwest Senator" are illegal.

Sincerely,
Kalwejt
Lord Protector
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies