Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:44:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 304858 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: January 02, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »

The the Postac Service Act states
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm surprised everyone agrees with that and nobody is trying to defend the workers. It is scrapping negotiated contracts. It doesn't even wait for the next negotiation to modify the agreements.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #1951 on: January 03, 2013, 12:29:49 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2013, 12:40:01 PM by Snowball »

I fail to see the arguements with not eating dog meat, according to the F.L. 36-13: Animal Protection Act,

The practice of eating human constitutes a cultural tradition for many creepy Atlasians. So what?

Good point, what is wrong with eating dead humans, same thing, I find no problem with it
Then you would have to give pig meat, goat meat, chicken meat, cow meat the same status of have a bigoted state

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1952 on: January 03, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »

Does anyone know if there's a 'Violence Against Women Act'-esque piece of legislation on the books in Atlasia?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1953 on: January 03, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »

Does anyone know if there's a 'Violence Against Women Act'-esque piece of legislation on the books in Atlasia?

Technically we inherited all the laws from the US upon creation of Atlasia way back when, but as it's a piece of legislation that requires frequent renewal, I suppose it no longer exists by this point. (And frankly, I don't know if it would pass.)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1954 on: January 03, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »

(And frankly, I don't know if it would pass.)

In this Senate?  Why not? Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1955 on: January 03, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »

Atlasia can be weird sometimes. Things that would be completely uncontroversial sometimes get weird and widespread objections. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1956 on: January 04, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »

I like the intent of your Amendment, Nix (I love consolidating and clarifying things) but I think it might be better in the long term if we removed the SoIA and SoEA from the Constitution so the Senate could have more flexibility in defining and rejiggering those offices.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1957 on: January 04, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »

Atlasia can be weird sometimes. Things that would be completely uncontroversial sometimes get weird and widespread objections. Tongue

I know what you mean. Who the heck decides they need to go out of their way to legalize the commercial production of dog meat?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1958 on: January 05, 2013, 12:51:33 PM »

Just an FYI to the Senate, I'm having to replace my WiFi Router this weekend so I'm doing what I can over my iPhone; I should be back and running by Monday at the latest. Smiley
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1959 on: January 05, 2013, 09:46:50 PM »

Once Hagrid's bill on mental health is passed into law, should we expect any further gun control legislation on the heels of the real-life unveiling of the Biden Group's gun control proposals, or does current law (in combo with Hagrid's legislation) just about cover everything likely to be in it?  
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1960 on: January 05, 2013, 10:00:16 PM »

My bill was only really meant to address one aspect of the larger issue. I would not be surprised to see more legislation on the table, but it's not likely to come from my end. We did pass some pretty comprehensive gun reform a couple months ago, though.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1961 on: January 05, 2013, 10:03:13 PM »

My bill was only really meant to address one aspect of the larger issue. I would not be surprised to see more legislation on the table, but it's not likely to come from my end. We did pass some pretty comprehensive gun reform a couple months ago, though.

That is what I am referring to by 'current law'. 
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1962 on: January 05, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »

This would give BRAC capabilities to this Commission (without the need to create a new commission specifically for BRAC). I would request that one of you kind Senators introduce this for me.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1963 on: January 11, 2013, 03:45:01 PM »

Although I support Sen. Oakvale's legislation, I would recommend the Senate to consider legislation that delineates specifically which federal departments in 'America' go under which department in Atlasia. I know the DoEA includes the Department of State (Foreign Affairs (including protecting/assisting citizens living/travelling abroad, assisting businesses in the int'l marketplace, coordinating int'l activities of other agencies (including official visits), keeping public informed about foreign events, and providing automobile registration for diplomatic vehicles) and the imprinting of the Great Seal; however, the SoS is who (IRL) a President or VP tenders his resignation to, a custom I do not believe we have in place), the Department of Defense (Army, Navy, Air Force, DARPA, Defense Intelligence Agency, Defense Logistics Agency, Missile Defense Agency, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, National Reconnaissance Office, National Security Agency, Pentagon Force Protection Agency, National Defense University, National War College, National Security Resources Board, National Security Council, Joint Chiefs, Inspector General, Combatant Commands, National Guard Bureau, etc.), the Agency for International Development, and the UN Ambassadorship.

Who would control Commerce? They seem to be concerned with both external and internal trade. Homeland Security includes both internal (FEMA) and external (border/immigration) components. Would the Intelligence Community be part of the DoEA or independent under the control of the President (specifically the CIA)?

Of course the Census Bureau is also part of the Department of Commerce IRL, and here it's independent. I'm assuming Treasury and the Mint go under DoIA, but I could be wrong there too.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1964 on: January 12, 2013, 05:37:23 AM »

Some useful Senate procedure - this may not be necessary, but I've noticed cases where we've had to include fixings of misspellings in amendments to bills and so on.

Oakie, this power is already at the disposal of the PPT as all me predecessors (and successors) have used it. The only difference is, I usually am somewhat more cautious in its use, hence those cases you mention. IF changes need to be made, thne such should be in the form of an OSPR amendment, otherwise this will get forgotten about after a short time. I would be happy to assist you in alterating it.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1965 on: January 12, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »

Some useful Senate procedure - this may not be necessary, but I've noticed cases where we've had to include fixings of misspellings in amendments to bills and so on.

Oakie, this power is already at the disposal of the PPT as all me predecessors (and successors) have used it. The only difference is, I usually am somewhat more cautious in its use, hence those cases you mention. IF changes need to be made, thne such should be in the form of an OSPR amendment, otherwise this will get forgotten about after a short time. I would be happy to assist you in alterating it.

Oh, I see, my mistake - I didn't know we already had procedures for this, my Senate service almost entirely being under your reign as PPT. Grin

I'd be more than happy to withdraw it and if necessary formally include the provision in an OSPR amendment at some later date.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1966 on: January 14, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »

Are farm subsidies primarily distributed by the federal government or by the regional governments?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1967 on: January 15, 2013, 12:45:02 AM »

Does anyone have any information regarding the potential whereabouts of Speed of Sound?
This is getting ridiculous...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1968 on: January 15, 2013, 03:43:07 PM »

Wow, he hasn't been on in weeks.  I'd hate to see a good Secretary have to be replaced...
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1969 on: January 15, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2013, 03:47:57 PM by SoEA SJoyce »

Haven't heard from him since last year. I'm not going to disappear, though Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1970 on: January 16, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »

Again, apologies for the limited activity a the moment, school is kind of a killer.  The forthcoming long weekend will be helpful, though. Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1971 on: January 17, 2013, 06:03:02 AM »

My comment is directed solely at Clause 1 of Section 2

Total procurement of each variant of the F-35 shall be reduced by 25%, to be offset by purchase of additional F/A-18, F-16, A-10, and AV-8B aircraft.

Considering that the last new Harrier was built in 1997, any AV-8's that might be procured are going to have to come from buying used aircraft.  The UK stopped flying its Harriers a couple years ago, but they weren't built to the AV-8B standard, but their own British standard.

The A-10 situation is even more comical.  The last all new A-10 was built in 1984 and unlike the Harrier, there are no used foreign models to be bought.

At least the F-16 and F/A-18E/F are still in production.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1972 on: January 17, 2013, 07:46:15 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2013, 02:51:20 PM by SoEA SJoyce »

Total procurement of each variant of the F-35 shall be reduced by 25%, to be offset by purchase of additional F/A-18, F-16, A-10, and AV-8B aircraft.

Considering that the last new Harrier was built in 1997, any AV-8's that might be procured are going to have to come from buying used aircraft.  The UK stopped flying its Harriers a couple years ago, but they weren't built to the AV-8B standard, but their own British standard.

And we have announced our intention to purchase Britain's entire inventory of Harrier IIs, primarily for spare parts, but we could rip out the British avionics and replace them with our own for significantly less than it'd cost to buy new F-35Bs.

The A-10 situation is even more comical.  The last all new A-10 was built in 1984 and unlike the Harrier, there are no used foreign models to be bought.

The A-10 would primarily involve upgrades to older aircraft in order to bring them back into service. We currently operate 345 A-10s out of 716 built. This would primarily involve upgrading old A-10As to A-10Cs, enhancing their service life, new targeting systems, etc.

Though thanks for pointing that out. It really should be "procurement", not "purchase".
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1973 on: January 17, 2013, 05:32:28 PM »

More important question, in case anybody knows; do the individual states in Atlasia have their own governments, or do only regional governments have complete control of their states?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1974 on: January 17, 2013, 07:01:04 PM »

Hope Yankee's doing alright.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies