Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:54:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 304874 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2025 on: May 22, 2013, 10:41:53 PM »

It is worrying to know one person has the power to decide when a region is dysfunctional.

Well, blame the authors of the Paficic Constitution, then. It's clearly written than the President has that power and we have nothing to do with it. Senate didn't write the Pacific Constitution, nor it has the power to amend it.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2026 on: May 22, 2013, 11:41:29 PM »

I have contacted the Justice committee chair if it's the appropriate committee.    

I answered you on that, but I doubt it's in the Judiciary committee powers anyways, unless it's considered related to regional law enforcement, which I doubt.

Anyways, the committee is busy until next Suday, we already are in the impeachment hearings of the Supreme Court Justices (which weren't my choice).

Is it not a legal matter by nature? As I said, we could possible take over for the Judiciary since we are only minimally engaged at present, provided the members agree of course.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2027 on: May 23, 2013, 01:24:06 AM »

I answered you on that, but I doubt it's in the Judiciary committee powers anyways, unless it's considered related to regional law enforcement, which I doubt.

Anyways, the committee is busy until next Suday, we already are in the impeachment hearings of the Supreme Court Justices (which weren't my choice).

Is it not a legal matter by nature? As I said, we could possible take over for the Judiciary since we are only minimally engaged at present, provided the members agree of course.

Well, even if it's the job of the Judiciary Committee, I'm not sure it would be worthwhile to study the question. What can we do after that? We can't amend the Pacific Constitution, we can't abroge the degree and I doubt anyone wants to impeach the President over that.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2028 on: May 24, 2013, 09:40:20 AM »

I am utterly baffled at how this is some sort of scandalous issue. What weird agenda do I have, there? I made the order because there is a clause in the Pacific's Constitution (which specifically says to interpret it liberally!) to immediately designate someone who can open voting booths as quickly and efficiently as possible when there's a breakdown in government and things aren't working how they're supposed to. Only in the last day before I made the declaration did the Governor finally appear, and then he went back into hiding. The majority of the regional council decided to stop doing their jobs.

What questions do you want asked? What investigation is there to be had? I designated someone to open voting booths and immediately resolve the meltdown in in the Pacific's regional government, which was in my power to do, and not only in my power to do, but gave me serious leeway in determining when to do so. After a Governor goes horribly inactive, is under recall, and the regional legislature effectively loses a majority of their members, that's a pretty good reason to feel like the Pacific could use some help.

You would basically have to prove, for it to be invalid, that there wasn't any reasonable belief whatsoever that the Pacific government was either mismanaged or breaking down. And it's clearly understandable why anyone would think that.

Is this my Benghazi, or something? What in the world am I even being sinisterly accused of here that I have to be investigated for? You guys are acting like I installed a puppet government in the Pacific. I literally just authorized a specific person to be the on-call vote administrator. Deep breaths.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2029 on: May 24, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »

I don't think anyone other than Poirot's expressed any concern about this. Maybe he hasn't read the (Third?) Pacific Constitution; I don't think it's on the wiki.

Sorry, I read Hagrid as being more aggressive than he probably meant to come off as being. Tongue

Nevertheless, I wish people who are uncomfortable with the declaration could cut me a little more slack, here. I did it for genuine reasons; I want the region to get back on track as soon as possible. I'm sorry if I stepped on toes, I just want everything to get sewn up as quickly as it can.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2030 on: May 24, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »

If I can interject a personal as well as legal opinion here - I think what we're talking about is a "turning on the lights and opening the doors" sort of thing. It's like the case that's before the Court right now - when things slow down to where the chief concern is only keeping the train moving on the tracks, so to speak, it's not a one-man takeover of anything. The President's only concerned about inactivity interrupting the game, that's all and nothing more. When that happens, someone should step in and say, "Let's keep things moving," and that's all that's happened.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2031 on: May 24, 2013, 06:37:52 PM »

I made the order because there is a clause in the Pacific's Constitution (which specifically says to interpret it liberally!) to immediately designate someone who can open voting booths as quickly and efficiently as possible when there's a breakdown in government and things aren't working how they're supposed to.

Where do you see that clause?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2032 on: May 24, 2013, 06:49:12 PM »

It literally could not be any more straightforward.

SECTION 2: ELECTORAL REGULATIONS
1.   All elections to regional offices, including but not limited to the Pacific Council, the Governorship, recall elections, and such, will be opened by the Governor of the Pacificans on the Voting Booth subboard. In an absence of the Governor, the Pacific Justice may open the thread. In a case of “anarchy”, defined as a lack of elections and/or a lack of any comprehensible regional Government, which may be interpreted liberally by the Federal Government at their advisory, the Secretary of Federal Elections (or any equivalent thereof) or the President of Atlasia may designate a Pacific Citizen to open a voting booth for the vacated offices in a time set by one of the designated federal officers.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2033 on: May 24, 2013, 06:49:58 PM »

1.   All elections to regional offices, including but not limited to the Pacific Council, the Governorship, recall elections, and such, will be opened by the Governor of the Pacificans on the Voting Booth subboard. In an absence of the Governor, the Pacific Justice may open the thread. In a case of “anarchy”, defined as a lack of elections and/or a lack of any comprehensible regional Government, which may be interpreted liberally by the Federal Government at their advisory, the Secretary of Federal Elections (or any equivalent thereof) or the President of Atlasia may designate a Pacific Citizen to open a voting booth for the vacated offices in a time set by one of the designated federal officers.

That is not the Pacific Constitution.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Second_Pacific_Constitution This is is the law of the land and I don't see that clause.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2034 on: May 24, 2013, 06:51:50 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Second_Pacific_Constitution This is is the law of the land and I don't see that clause.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=171442.0
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2035 on: May 24, 2013, 06:53:57 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=171442.0

Yeah, but the vote wasn't conducted properly (according to Wolfentoad himself).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2036 on: May 24, 2013, 06:56:28 PM »

I believe you're referring to the first vote on this Constitution.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=170986.0
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2037 on: May 24, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »

I suggest this discussion be taken to a new thread?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2038 on: May 24, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »

No, it was the most recent one. He told me "not to tell anyone", but who am I to stand pat and witness an egregious injustice?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2039 on: May 24, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »

Well, even if it's the job of the Judiciary Committee, I'm not sure it would be worthwhile to study the question. What can we do after that? We can't amend the Pacific Constitution, we can't abroge the degree and I doubt anyone wants to impeach the President over that.

I wasn't opining on the merits of the issue, just the practicalities of who should review the matter if it is considered to be of concern.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2040 on: May 24, 2013, 08:12:17 PM »

No, it was the most recent one. He told me "not to tell anyone", but who am I to stand pat and witness an egregious injustice?

Well, unless a Court rules that vote illegal, it must be considered legal, in my opinion.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2041 on: May 24, 2013, 09:33:47 PM »

I like how we're using the possibility that they can't even vote on a new Constitution as a defense of their competency. Tongue
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2042 on: June 10, 2013, 10:21:47 PM »

On voting rights included in the common market between Atlasia and Canada, the agreement states Atlasians living in a canadian province are considered from a region for limited jurisdictional and regional/federal electoral purposes.

An Atlasian residing in Canada will have the right to vote if I undestand this, but if the citizen can also be a candidate for office in the region, wouldn't be a negative for the candidate since Canada is still another country. Why would I vote for someone to represent me if the candidate is living in a foreign country even if we are attached for electoral purposes. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2043 on: June 10, 2013, 11:08:13 PM »

Why would I vote for someone to represent me if the candidate is living in a foreign country even if we are attached for electoral purposes. 

Well, it's pretty much your choice if you want to vote or not for someone.
You know, many countries have persons in Parliament for representing people in foreign countries. It's only a slight variation on that scheme.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2044 on: June 10, 2013, 11:14:35 PM »

When I read over it for the first time, my first thought was the "Democrats Abroad" primary or whatever it was called from back in 2008.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #2045 on: June 19, 2013, 12:37:19 PM »

Why would I vote for someone to represent me if the candidate is living in a foreign country even if we are attached for electoral purposes. 

Well, it's pretty much your choice if you want to vote or not for someone.
You know, many countries have persons in Parliament for representing people in foreign countries. It's only a slight variation on that scheme.

A great example is Italia
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2046 on: June 25, 2013, 08:49:10 PM »

So, hum, on the days listed as holidays on the federal holidays act, will the senate and regional legislatures be active or on holidays (not working) ?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2047 on: June 27, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »

I have a comment on the red text section of an amendment found in the Regional Legislative Act Act of 2013.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If the only way a region can have a new constitution (because is has none or has one but want a new one) requiring a majority of citizens in the region is high. If it is based on census numbers, the Pacific for example has 32 citizens. Would this mean 17 citizens have to petition for a new constitution. Seems nearly impossible to me.

And to approve the new constitution, the three-fifths of that region's citizens in a public poll is needed. Is it three-fifths of citizens on the census number or of those who will take the time to vote on the issue. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2048 on: June 27, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »

Thank you for the explanations.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2049 on: July 05, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »

Hmm... it might be a good idea to pass a law limiting one bill to a post in the Introduction thread.  I'm sure you all know what I mean...
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies