Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:30:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 306464 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: April 10, 2009, 12:13:59 PM »

Legalization of Heroin Bill

Section 1: Findings
1. Heroin is a white, crystalline, narcotic powder, C21H23NO5, derived from morphine, formerly used as an analgesic and sedative.
2. The pharmaceutical price of heroin is only 5% of the average street price of heroin.

Section 2: Applicability
1. This law shall remove all federal restrictions on heroin in addition to legalization in Nyman and other federal territories which do not form a region.
2. The Regions of Atlasia shall be free to legalize and regulate heroin in any manner which they may choose.

Section 3: In Regards to the Legal Status of Heroin
1. The possession and consumption of heroin shall be legal.
2. This law shall not be interpreted as to decriminalize driving under the influence of heroin.
3. Penalties for driving under the influence of heroin shall be the same as those for driving under the influence of alcohol and other substances.

Section 4: Taxation
1. Taxes on heroin will be 30%.  Individual regions may set their own taxes on heroin as they see fit in addition to the federal tax which shall not exceed 20%.
2. Federal revenue raised from taxes on heroin shall be spent as follows:
   a.) 50% to a newly created National Opiate Addiction Help Center
   b.) 25% to funding for the needle exchange program created by the Atlasian Policy Regarding HIV/AIDS
   c.) 25% to improvements to federal interstate highways
3. Regional revenue generated from sales of heroin shall be used however the region deems necessary by a vote of the people upon voting for legalization.
4. The National Opiate Addiction Help Center shall not be funded by any other taxes.
5. The National Opiate Addiction Help Center shall focus on treatment options not involving methodone

Section 5: Purchases
1. Heroin shall be available at any licensed pharmacies.
2. Heroin shall not require a prescription but will kept behind the counter under all circumstances.
3. Individuals not in possession of the proper licenses shall still be prohibited from selling heroin.

Section 6: Age Restrictions
1. No one under the age of 18 shall be allowed to purchase heroin
2. Any pharmacist selling heroin to a person under the age of 18 shall be subject to any of the following:
   a.) a fine not to exceed $100,000
   b.) 30 days in a regional prison
   c.) a suspension or revokal of license

I like it, except for section 4.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #926 on: April 10, 2009, 01:14:23 PM »

Legalization of Heroin Bill

Section 1: Findings
1. Heroin is a white, crystalline, narcotic powder, C21H23NO5, derived from morphine, formerly used as an analgesic and sedative.
2. The pharmaceutical price of heroin is only 5% of the average street price of heroin.

Section 2: Applicability
1. This law shall remove all federal restrictions on heroin in addition to legalization in Nyman and other federal territories which do not form a region.
2. The Regions of Atlasia shall be free to legalize and regulate heroin in any manner which they may choose.

Section 3: In Regards to the Legal Status of Heroin
1. The possession and consumption of heroin shall be legal.
2. This law shall not be interpreted as to decriminalize driving under the influence of heroin.
3. Penalties for driving under the influence of heroin shall be the same as those for driving under the influence of alcohol and other substances.

Section 4: Taxation
1. Taxes on heroin will be 30%.  Individual regions may set their own taxes on heroin as they see fit in addition to the federal tax which shall not exceed 20%.
2. Federal revenue raised from taxes on heroin shall be spent as follows:
   a.) 50% to a newly created National Opiate Addiction Help Center
   b.) 25% to funding for the needle exchange program created by the Atlasian Policy Regarding HIV/AIDS
   c.) 25% to improvements to federal interstate highways
3. Regional revenue generated from sales of heroin shall be used however the region deems necessary by a vote of the people upon voting for legalization.
4. The National Opiate Addiction Help Center shall not be funded by any other taxes.
5. The National Opiate Addiction Help Center shall focus on treatment options not involving methodone

Section 5: Purchases
1. Heroin shall be available at any licensed pharmacies.
2. Heroin shall not require a prescription but will kept behind the counter under all circumstances.
3. Individuals not in possession of the proper licenses shall still be prohibited from selling heroin.

Section 6: Age Restrictions
1. No one under the age of 18 shall be allowed to purchase heroin
2. Any pharmacist selling heroin to a person under the age of 18 shall be subject to any of the following:
   a.) a fine not to exceed $100,000
   b.) 30 days in a regional prison
   c.) a suspension or revokal of license

Friendly tips:

Section five needs to be reworded. Right now it seems to suggest that all pharmacies are required to sell heroin.

Also, you probably want to specify the 30% as a sales tax or whatever.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #927 on: April 10, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »

Took BaconKing's ideas

PiT, we can certainly work on that depending on what senators are willing to work with the bill and where the support lies.  The taxation section was worked on heavily with I believe Ebowed
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #928 on: April 10, 2009, 01:46:59 PM »

I'll happily work on the heroin bill. I'll need to analyze it more closely, though.

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #929 on: April 20, 2009, 10:45:12 PM »

I would propose, as a matter of forum affairs and internal Senate function, that the time period that the PPT Candidate Declaration Thread remain open be reduced from 72 hours to 48 hours, before the new Senate Session begins. I just don't want the progress and activity of the current Senate to slow because of the slow nature of the PPT election process.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #930 on: April 20, 2009, 11:00:56 PM »

I would propose, as a matter of forum affairs and internal Senate function, that the time period that the PPT Candidate Declaration Thread remain open be reduced from 72 hours to 48 hours, before the new Senate Session begins. I just don't want the progress and activity of the current Senate to slow because of the slow nature of the PPT election process.

In the grand scheme of things it is honestly not that long a wait.  Changing it by 24 hours won't affect much in my humble opinion.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #931 on: April 21, 2009, 09:18:24 PM »

Somaliland Recognition Bill

1.  The Republic of Atlasia hereby recongnizes the Republic of Somaliland.

2.  Somaliland will be recognized to hold the lands of the former British colony of British Somaliland.

3.  Dahir Riyale Kahin is hereby recognized as the President of Somaliland.

This bill has already been done and passed awhile ago.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #932 on: April 21, 2009, 09:50:26 PM »

2.  Somaliland will be recognized to hold the lands of the former British colony of British Somaliland.

Is it in the Wiki?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #933 on: April 21, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »

Is it in the Wiki?

Yes
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #934 on: April 21, 2009, 09:54:05 PM »

Fair enough. We will move on pirates in the next term. I have something in the works.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #935 on: April 21, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »

Fair enough. We will move on pirates in the next term. I have something in the works.

Good. I was thinking we needed something in regards to the pirates.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #936 on: April 21, 2009, 10:07:56 PM »

Oops completely forgot that bill lol.  I will of course withdraw it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #937 on: May 12, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »

Atlasian Tax Code Resolution

Whereas, Atlasia has existed for years without a functioning or present tax code,
therefore let it be

Resolved, that an independent commission shall be instituted for the formation of a tax code to be presented to the Atlasian Senate for approval. The commission shall be made up of the President or a citizen so designated to fill his place, the Attorney General, the PPT, the five regional Governors or any citizen of the same region so designated by a Governor, and two additional Senators so appointed by the Senate. At any time the commission may, by two-thirds consent, approve the addition of outside members as full voting members.

Resolved, that this tax code shall include, but not be limited to, an income tax, sales tax, social security tax, and estate tax. The proposal shall be prepared and presented before the start of FY 2010.

Don't we also currently have a carbon tax, or was that just repealed?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #938 on: May 12, 2009, 12:48:59 PM »

Whereas, Atlasia has existed for years without a functioning or present tax code,
therefore let it be

Resolved, that an independent commission shall be instituted for the formation of a tax code to be presented to the Atlasian Senate for approval. The commission shall be made up of the President or a citizen so designated to fill his place, the Attorney General, the PPT, the five regional Governors or any citizen of the same region so designated by a Governor, and two additional Senators so appointed by the Senate. At any time the commission may, by two-thirds consent, approve the addition of outside members as full voting members.

Resolved, that this tax code shall include, but not be limited to, an income tax, sales tax, social security tax, and estate tax. The proposal shall be prepared and presented before the start of FY 2010.

It may be repealed in favor of cap-and-trade, or may not be. It can be included in this new tax code, but I want to make sure that we at least get the other things.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #939 on: May 15, 2009, 09:33:51 AM »

therefore let it be

It may be repealed in favor of cap-and-trade, or may not be. It can be included in this new tax code, but I want to make sure that we at least get the other things.

Looks like the carbon tax is here to stay...

While we are on the subject of controlling CO2 emissions, it surprises me that no senator (even among the conservative bloc) has introduced a bill expanding the use of nuclear power until around 75 to 80% of our energy needs are met by nuclear power plants.  If there is anything about France that we should emulate, it is that.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #940 on: May 15, 2009, 09:49:23 AM »

therefore let it be

While we are on the subject of controlling CO2 emissions, it surprises me that no senator (even among the conservative bloc) has introduced a bill expanding the use of nuclear power until around 75 to 80% of our energy needs are met by nuclear power plants.  If there is anything about France that we should emulate, it is that.

Hope you don't mind if I steal your idea....but it's a good one, and I plan to introduce something concerning that soon.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #941 on: May 15, 2009, 06:25:19 PM »

therefore let it be

Hope you don't mind if I steal your idea....but it's a good one, and I plan to introduce something concerning that soon.

I'll be looking forward to your bill when it comes out.  Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #942 on: May 17, 2009, 10:56:32 AM »

Affirmative Action Prohibition Bill:

Section 1: Atlasia recognizes affirmative action based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or any factor not related to economic status as an unacceptable form of discrimination.

Section 2: Such policies shall be prohibited throughout Atlasia.

This is an excellent bill, and I hope the Senate can pass it quickly, with little or no alterations.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #943 on: May 17, 2009, 11:21:52 AM »

Section 1: Atlasia recognizes affirmative action based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or any factor not related to economic status as an unacceptable form of discrimination.

This is an excellent bill, and I hope the Senate can pass it quickly, with little or no alterations.

Good to hear Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #944 on: May 17, 2009, 03:43:14 PM »

Good to hear Wink

I just wanted to throw all of my political weight behind this bill Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #945 on: May 17, 2009, 04:02:46 PM »

Good to hear Wink

I thought you wanted this bill to pass! Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #946 on: May 17, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »

Good to hear Wink
I thought you wanted this bill to pass! Wink

Good point.  In that case, I completely oppose this legislation, and feel it should be defeated!
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #947 on: May 20, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »

How come most every bill here has some sort of connection to current events in the real world? Why don't we base bills on how Atlasia is doing, rather how the US is doing? Obviously, first we would have to find out how Atlasia is doing. I propose that we try not to concern ourselves so much with the events of the outside world, and instead craft legislation that would thoroughly round out the Atlasian Gov't.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #948 on: May 20, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »

How come most every bill here has some sort of connection to current events in the real world? Why don't we base bills on how Atlasia is doing, rather how the US is doing? Obviously, first we would have to find out how Atlasia is doing. I propose that we try not to concern ourselves so much with the events of the outside world, and instead craft legislation that would thoroughly round out the Atlasian Gov't.

I completely agree, but we have a GM that is anything but active. There is no known status of Atlasia without something like that.
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #949 on: May 20, 2009, 06:27:08 PM »

I completely agree, but we have a GM that is anything but active. There is no known status of Atlasia without something like that.

Maybe we should try and get a more active GM. That recent bill in the Senate could probably help.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies