Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:39:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 303998 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2100 on: January 04, 2014, 06:16:58 PM »

My activity will be limited from the 4th through 7th of January, as I am out of town.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2101 on: January 08, 2014, 12:09:26 AM »

The Senate specifically chose to prohibit allowing deregistered members to rejoin once they'd posted notice. If we're not going to force people to take deregistraiton seriously, we shouldn't bother keeping it.
I want to have a new debate on the issue in light of former Senator Maxwell's departure, including a discussion on the merits of deregistration.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2102 on: January 08, 2014, 01:28:59 AM »

My activity will be limited from the 4th through 7th of January, as I am out of town.

I'm back now, and will be able to participate more actively in debate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2103 on: January 08, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »

I'm back now, and will be able to participate more actively in debate.

I am glad to here it. Smiley
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #2104 on: January 10, 2014, 04:18:13 PM »

Anti Mandatory Minimum Amendment

No mandated minimum penalty for any crime shall be in force in Atlasian Federal law, excepting direct and proportional reparations.

I support this. I was considering going to the Supreme Court on this issue, but it turns out it's quite difficult to write a lawsuit of that nature.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2105 on: January 10, 2014, 06:24:55 PM »

And it is now on the floor of the Senate.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2106 on: January 19, 2014, 03:09:58 PM »

We're a couple of weeks into the new session, yet no one seems to be adding new laws to the wiki. What gives?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2107 on: January 19, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »

Also, I'm a bit embarrassed that a Senator from my party is proposing a return to the failed policies of the Drug War Era. I had hoped that we had left that sad period behind us for good.

I concur with the former President. The Comprehensive Drug Reform Act was passed by the Senate unanimously last session. I'm not sure why Senator X wants us to return to the failed policies of the past.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2108 on: January 19, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »

Also, I'm a bit embarrassed that a Senator from my party is proposing a return to the failed policies of the Drug War Era. I had hoped that we had left that sad period behind us for good.

I concur with the former President. The Comprehensive Drug Reform Act was passed by the Senate unanimously last session. I'm not sure why Senator X wants us to return to the failed policies of the past.

I am glad that Chairman Nix and Senator TNF can at least agree with me that the War on Drugs as it was carried out in the past was a failure.  However, the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction and Atlasia's current drug policies are doomed to fail as well.  I believe that we should addressing this problem in a reasonable and responsible way with laws that balance punishment with rehabilitation and treatment.  If any of my fellow Senators agree that what I described approach then I'd urge them to support the important reforms that I have proposed.  If they want to continue the failed policies of the past, they should oppose my drug bills and vote for the status quo.  I would also welcome the input of my fellow Senators.  Together, we can strike a major blow against the scourge of drug addiction!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2109 on: January 19, 2014, 10:35:48 PM »

I am proud to support X's bid to save our stingrays.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2110 on: January 20, 2014, 02:43:29 AM »

X could you at least consolidate some of these bills together. Even if you disagree with the content of the "comprehensive" law in question, is not the format such that the merits of which speak for themselves?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2111 on: January 20, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »

X could you at least consolidate some of these bills together. Even if you disagree with the content of the "comprehensive" law in question, is not the format such that the merits of which speak for themselves?

I deliberately opted not to consolidate them so we could essentially have a "line-item vote" on each proposal, sorry Sad
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2112 on: January 20, 2014, 11:15:31 AM »

I don't understand or support re-criminalization either. There's so much else that could be done positively than to try to go back to an old negative that largely loaded jail cells with non-violent offenders.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2113 on: January 22, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »

I fully support this.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2114 on: January 27, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »

Would a Senator be willing to introduce a bill for me?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #2115 on: January 27, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2014, 04:34:29 PM by Senator Tyrion »

Yeah sure, as your Regional Senator
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2116 on: January 28, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »

Yeah sure, as your Regional Senator

Excellent, I'll PM you.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2117 on: February 15, 2014, 05:19:57 PM »

Is there a place I could read about the powers of the VP in the Senate, what he can do in the senate procedures. When NCYankee is absent the senate work almost stops. I thought maybe the VP has some power to move things. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2118 on: February 15, 2014, 06:11:41 PM »

Is there a place I could read about the powers of the VP in the Senate, what he can do in the senate procedures. When NCYankee is absent the senate work almost stops. I thought maybe the VP has some power to move things. 

The VP can do everything I can do. In fact, he is the primary authority and all my authority is delegated directly from him. https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Current_Senate_Rules,_Regulations,_and_Procedures

On the flip side, the Consitution only allows the VP to break ties, so that is omething he can do that I cannot.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2119 on: February 15, 2014, 06:13:17 PM »

Whilst losing the two days was unfortunate, we are still on track to break records on both amendments to legislation and legislation overall, if the pace so far is maintained in the last two or three weeks.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2120 on: April 03, 2014, 12:58:06 PM »

I need somewhere to put this, and this thread will do as well as any other. The amendments that have been ratified since the wiki was last updated are the expulsion amendment, the  mandatory minimum one the on 3rd thoughts and the semi presidentialism one.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2121 on: April 03, 2014, 09:47:52 PM »

I'll get on the amendments problem friday night or saturday afternoon, and as well update resolutions and some other things on the wiki.

Thank you for notifying me.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2122 on: May 08, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »

I semi-support the End lame duck terms. I find the lame duck period very long and ideally I would get rid of it. Because certification, possible court case, preparation for newly elected people, maybe read about senate rules and write legislation, I would choose a lame duck session as short as possible, maybe 5 or 7 days after the election.

I am against the Proportional representation fix amendment. I know it's a fix but I am against the situation of a senator serving for more than a month being nominated by a political party. I don't like party nomination instead of election and it could be for a long time, a month is a quarter or a normal term. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2123 on: May 25, 2014, 11:38:39 AM »

I'm trying to understand when the End lame duck terms amendment would apply for the first time. It says: take effect with the terms of those elected in the August 2014 general election

Does it mean the lame duck period in August will be shorter or is it at the end of the term of those elected in August which would make the shorter term lame duck period first applied in December only. December would be in a long time to apply the new period.

Also the bill's name could be changed since the lame duck will still exist. Pehaps some words like Modify, Shorten, or Reduce is more appropriate.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2124 on: May 25, 2014, 01:08:42 PM »

I'm trying to understand when the End lame duck terms amendment would apply for the first time. It says: take effect with the terms of those elected in the August 2014 general election

Does it mean the lame duck period in August will be shorter or is it at the end of the term of those elected in August which would make the shorter term lame duck period first applied in December only. December would be in a long time to apply the new period.

Also the bill's name could be changed since the lame duck will still exist. Pehaps some words like Modify, Shorten, or Reduce is more appropriate.

Hello Poirot,

The amendment title has been changed to shorten, it's just the thread title which is using the original amendment name.

At the moment, if the amendment passed the senators elected in the August general election would sign in earlier, so they would the present at large senators and obviously all future senators and presidents would have a shorter lame duck period.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies