Jim Traficant in critical condition after heart attack and freak accident
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:08:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jim Traficant in critical condition after heart attack and freak accident
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jim Traficant in critical condition after heart attack and freak accident  (Read 896 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:55:30 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 09:49:36 AM »

Lots of people caring about this...........
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 10:51:07 AM »

Tractor flips are nasty, particularly when they don't have roofs (as a lot of old ones don't o/c).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 04:12:30 PM »

Yikes. He was quite the character in congress.

Tractor flips are nasty, particularly when they don't have roofs (as a lot of old ones don't o/c).
I know a family that almost lost their son in a four-wheel accident (reason #328 why I avoid four-wheelers), so I can't even imagine a person being pinned under a tractor.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 04:40:54 PM »

Best wishes to him and his family.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 05:04:04 PM »

I know a family that almost lost their son in a four-wheel accident (reason #328 why I avoid four-wheelers), so I can't even imagine a person being pinned under a tractor.

Used to happen all the time. Could make one hell of a mess.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:12:36 PM »

Four wheels and no top = bad news.  No doubt about it. 

My uncle had one of those four-wheeler 400cc Honda ATV toys when I was young.  He let me ride his when we visited him one summer.  No license required.  I must have been about 14.  Man it was fun.  Back in those days no one wore helmets.  I was bopping in and out of hills and dales.  At some point a little mammal scurried in front of my path.  I swerved to miss it, like a dumbass, and the next thing I know the world was going upside down and 'round and 'round.  I didn't have James Traficant's huge hair to land on, and wasn't wearing a helmet, so I suppose the bump knocked me out.  When I came to I looked about and noticed I was pinned under it.  I didn't feel much pain and didn't see any blood so I got to my feet.  When I picked up my left arm to wipe the sweat from my brow, I saw it bend, ninety degrees, about halfway between my elbow and my wrist.  It was fairly obvious that I'd broken both my ulna and my radius.  I grabbed my left arm with my right and clutched it to my chest, where it stayed for the next hour or so.  Not being familiar with the area I started trying to deduce the way back to his place.

Eventually I gave up and decided to ask at the neighbors' house.  I was too wimpy to let go of my arm to ring the doorbell, so I bent down and pushed the button with my nose.  Luckily they knew his name and knew where he lived.  They looked him up--back in those days folks had telephone directories--and he came with my mother immediately.  Long story short, they took me to a hospital where an orthopedic surgeon, a very mannish woman with a voice like Janet Reno, did the dirty work.  Her nurse, oddly, was a male.  A very thin, very sprightly young male with magnificent skin, a festive manner, and a scent of lavender on his person. 

Upon arrival at the hospital they gave me a shot with a huge needle, so big, in fact, that I could easily see the hole in it.  The inside diameter of this needle was far larger than the outside diameter of any needle I'd ever seen before.  Whatever they gave me--I learned later that it was morphine--made me forget all about the pain in my left arm.  They did all that shortly before Janet Reno and the cast fairy started putting my arm in a cast.  Mama said that on the way home they took me out to a buffet-style cafeteria and I picked out some of the ugliest items available, and a huge amount.  Apparently my portion alone cost about 25 dollars--this back in the day when a meal at such a place might cost about 7 dollars--and that I ate none of it, but managed to make a huge mess in the process.

Seven weeks later I got the cast removed and it has been okay since, although every year, around this time, when it starts to get cold, my left arm hurts like a sonofabitch.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »

A 1943 model? I'm a bit surprised they were produced during the war, but also antique tractors are thing?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »

A 1943 model? I'm a bit surprised they were produced during the war, but also antique tractors are thing?
Antique anything is a thing, but I'm not surprised they kept making tractors.  If they hadn't, then more men and draft animals would have been needed on the farms instead of heading off to the fighting.  Tho apparently they did make a few changes, such as omitting batteries, when there were materials deemed necessary for the war effort.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 11:38:35 PM »

It's really sad to see this happen to one of the few politicians I really respect. I know it's weird to say that about a politician who spent years in federal prison on corruption charges, but if there's anyone out there I can believe is innocent, it's probably him.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 12:49:09 PM »

He passed away.

RIP, FF.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 01:06:38 PM »

With his death, I'm starting a new thread, hopefully one that will be a bit more serious than this one was.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=199420.0
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies