Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:13:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 305678 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: February 01, 2012, 07:24:56 PM »

I strongly urge our senators to support the Constitutional anti-conscription amendment and reject the recently proposed amendment to the bill.  Conscription gives government permission to shape how a person pilots their own life and personal freedom should never, in my view, be sacrificed in peacetime or war time.

Mr Speaker,

I completely and utterly understand your position... but I cannot completely throw out the idea of conscription being used in a time of dire need.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »

Precisely.  A government that coerces people into entering danger zones and risking their own lives can justly be compared to, quite simply, fascism.

I think that's a touch melodramatic.

I just don't think it's right to rule out that there will ever, ever need to be a time to institute such measures. What I think as a progressive can't always win out over sheer practicality.

Make it next to impossible for the Senate to authorise it... but I can't responsibly consider the outside chance that it might be required in an extreme case.

Mind you, there's always the likelihood that if the country were attacked, the Senate would invoke some kind of emergency power.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »

I'm not really sold on the philosophical arguments... but if my vote is a deciding one - I will re-assess.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:30:49 PM »

The philosophy and morality of every government action should be examined, especially when it comes to restraining or coercing people into doing something.  I fail to see what's pragmatic about forcing people to work for the state and sacrifice not only the direction they want their lives to take, but potentially life itself.  If we neglect to examine the morality of government action and only stick to what appears "ideal," then we sacrifice freedom.  The government's job is to protect people from oppressors, not to become the oppressors.

Sigging this.

Thanks. Smiley

And thanks for making it look like a Ron Paul ad. Tongue

Tongue Freedom is popular! Tongue

I still think it's cute you think Ron Paul is actually about freedom...
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »

The philosophy and morality of every government action should be examined, especially when it comes to restraining or coercing people into doing something.  I fail to see what's pragmatic about forcing people to work for the state and sacrifice not only the direction they want their lives to take, but potentially life itself.  If we neglect to examine the morality of government action and only stick to what appears "ideal," then we sacrifice freedom.  The government's job is to protect people from oppressors, not to become the oppressors.

Sigging this.

Thanks. Smiley

And thanks for making it look like a Ron Paul ad. Tongue

Tongue Freedom is popular! Tongue

I still think it's cute you think Ron Paul is actually about freedom...

If he weren't about freedom, he obviously wouldn't irritate the likes of certain individuals.

You really do think that's why he irritates people don't you?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »

I do not think that Atlasia should go much longer without having a Secretary of Federal Elections. You may wish to find a new SoFE or shuffle some positions around, but if you are so inclined, I would be quite willing to serve in both capacities with one title should the RG and SoFE roles be combined due to constitutional amendment.

This is something that I'm certainly supportive of.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 10:48:32 PM »

I do not think that Atlasia should go much longer without having a Secretary of Federal Elections. You may wish to find a new SoFE or shuffle some positions around, but if you are so inclined, I would be quite willing to serve in both capacities with one title should the RG and SoFE roles be combined due to constitutional amendment.

Is no one else willing to correct this problem? I can draft a constitutional amendment if so.

I discussed this as something I wanted to target if elected as president, a constitutional amendment won't be settled in time for this election, but I think we'd all be interested in a draft amendment.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »

It has no problems...other than the fact that it makes up for a majority of our budget and without the gigantic system, we wouldn't have a deficit...

That's a very simplistic position to take on something so complex my friend.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:09:46 AM »

OH GOD WE'RE COMPLIMENTING EACH OTHER A BLACK HOLE IS FORMING OHG OGWDI NOOO-

It's like a scene out of Dogma... "they'll unmake the world"
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 11:47:45 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2012, 12:02:17 AM by President Polnut »

As most things Senator Wormy posts, it's not based on anything related to reality.

The order issued with my approval from the Attorney General, did not approve the 'removal' of dibbles, but the control of the exchange and minting facilities in order to prevent any further issuance.

That's all.

However, if there's evidence the agents were beyond their remit, we will treat that seriously and manage accordingly.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 12:49:41 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

For Jbrase because obviously, I enjoy pain. Tongue

I was actually going to introduce a compromised version of this amendment, but hey, debating the exact same thing over and over is fun, right kids? Tongue

I know, I wasn't expecting him to pm me asking to introduce that today though, and I never say no to such a respected constituent. Perhaps you could consult with him and see if he would be willing to ask me to withdraw it in favor of yours.

Nothing like a dog that won't hunt... who can't let go of a bone Tongue
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »

I think the thing to consider here, is that this is not infinite, the Pacific region is not being managed, and while it looks like there is a drive within the region to restore stability, the President needs to ensure the processes to get that stability going and to give it legitimacy is there.

I think you're worrying a little too much here.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »

I'd like to discuss the Wrong Choice Amendment here.

I think that by this moment, the Senate is ready to reject it. I also think that 2 hours is too much time for a change in the ballot. But what about 90 minutes? Or 1 hour? I think 1 hour would ultimately be a good compromise, just to adjust a few mistakes made.
Well, the problem is that I don't see a single reason to change this system.

The system wouldn't change, only the timing. Just a little "opportunity", that's it, benefiting beginners overall.

20 mins has never struck me as unreasonable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies