Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:48:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 305040 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: April 03, 2014, 12:58:06 PM »

I need somewhere to put this, and this thread will do as well as any other. The amendments that have been ratified since the wiki was last updated are the expulsion amendment, the  mandatory minimum one the on 3rd thoughts and the semi presidentialism one.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 01:08:42 PM »

I'm trying to understand when the End lame duck terms amendment would apply for the first time. It says: take effect with the terms of those elected in the August 2014 general election

Does it mean the lame duck period in August will be shorter or is it at the end of the term of those elected in August which would make the shorter term lame duck period first applied in December only. December would be in a long time to apply the new period.

Also the bill's name could be changed since the lame duck will still exist. Pehaps some words like Modify, Shorten, or Reduce is more appropriate.

Hello Poirot,

The amendment title has been changed to shorten, it's just the thread title which is using the original amendment name.

At the moment, if the amendment passed the senators elected in the August general election would sign in earlier, so they would the present at large senators and obviously all future senators and presidents would have a shorter lame duck period.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 05:01:48 AM »

Obviously I don't and can't see myself supporting this bill, but I think, given civilian introduced legislation is rare enough that it should be encouraged, there is a shortage of items in the queue and I am JomCAR's regional senator I'll introduce the bill.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 11:12:21 PM »

Lumine and TNF clearly need to take this outside.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »

Like I said in the thread, the Constitution makes the VP President of the Senate not the rules.

I have issues with changing to the term Speaker as the PPT should be a merit based not a political based election.

Speaker is not an inherently political term. For instance, the speaker in britain is non partisan.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »

The whole debate over whether the VP or a senator should administer the senate seems tangential to the whole point of Nix's proposal. The rules can be written in the same way giving the power entirely to the VP or entirely to a senator, the point is they are much clearer than the current mess.

In fact, Nix's proposal while needing a wee bit of tweaking and debate strikes me as very like the Northeast SOAP's, as in, easy to understand and administer. The Northeast's speaker (by the way, a non partisan office) changes almost every session, and each time, from cinci to cync to alfred to deus to whoever else, the result is effective administration. The same happening to the senate is unimaginable.

Let's not let controversy over the VP get in the way of this needed simplification of senate procedures.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »

Just to inform everyone senate control now passes to Yankee in his capacity as most senior senator until the election of the next speaker
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 08:30:11 AM »

quote author=oakvale link=topic=205886.msg4467906#msg4467906 date=1422478263]
Official Atlasia Supreme Court Release
Nyman, DC

Notice of Dismissal

After consideration of the petitioner's arguments, the Supreme Court of Atlasia has declined to grant certiorari to hear the question of whether the passage of a constitutional amendment with six votes in favour was in violation of the Constitution of Atlasia.

We see no reason that this matter cannot be addressed internally, as outlined by the Speaker, and the Court would prefer that questions of Senate procedure be handled internally unless there is a clear and compelling wider public interest and a clear conflict relating to the constitutional particulars. In this instance, we see no compelling reason for the Court to intervene as opposed to a resolution to the issue enacted under the auspices of the office of Speaker.

The case is dismissed.
[/quote]
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies