UK General Discussion II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:02:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Author Topic: UK General Discussion II  (Read 45011 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2014, 01:01:10 PM »

I actually think that, over the course of the last month, Ed has become damaged goods.

People like you thought that anyway.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2014, 01:11:06 PM »

The other is a more general enthusiasm problem; Labour just aren't making much of a case to vote for them.

This is correct. Part of the problem is that there are a lot of senior Party figures who aren't familiar with opposition and how to do it effectively (Miliband is not perfect on this front, but is considerably better than - alas - the majority of the Shadow Cabinet). On the other hand, at least Labour hasn't plunged itself into a civil war, which it often does in opposition and which it certainly would have had the other Miliband been elected leader. I would also point out that while Labour isn't doing much better than drifting, the government isn't exactly doing well either; one reason for the continual media sniping at Miliband and at Labour is frustrated bemusement that - contrary to expectation - the Tories have not yet recovered a secure poll lead.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2014, 01:56:38 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2014, 01:58:11 PM by You kip if you want to... »

I actually think that, over the course of the last month, Ed has become damaged goods.

People like you thought that anyway.

No. I've been a pretty big fan of him since about 2 years ago since he actually decided to start acting like he wants to be PM. To the point where, with hindsight, I wish I'd voted for him, since David turned round and threw his dummy out the pram.

He's got so much potential and it's so frustrating that he's not been able to build a rapport with the electorate.

I just get the feeling that the narrative around him has changed over the last month or so.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »

Really? Media coverage of him has never been anything other than extraordinary negative.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »

Terrible news for Ed Miliband btw.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2014, 03:08:17 PM »

Eric Joyce brushing with the law...again.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2014, 03:45:34 PM »

Whats the forum view on the recent suggestions surrounding the EU referendum and individual nation vetos?

Northern Ireland has got a lot of money from the EU over the past years I think, so they are unlikely to vote to leave. Scotland has much less of a UKIP presence than South of the border, and with the EU issue being an argument in favour of remaining in the Union (and the Independence campaign wanting to stay in the EU), I can't see a majority voting to leave the EU. Wales is harder to judge given how well UKIP did in the elections this year. I am fearful that if there is an exit vote in the EU referendum, we would probably be presiding over the breakup of the UK.

I don't have particularly strong feelings on David Cameron (or indeed many other political leaders), but I do think allowing this referendum to go ahead will probably taint his premiership with the breakup of the UK (after only just avoiding it with the Scottish referendum).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2014, 06:29:21 AM »

I don't think the referendum will happen; Labour are still likely to win the next election.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2014, 06:54:11 AM »

I think the referendum will happen, as the Tories I think are likely to 'win' the next General Election. However I don't think the public will vote to exit. Once 'Europe' is personified during the campaign as cheap foreign flights and employment rights, rather than Romanians and bendy vegetables, people will be reluctant to vote to exit.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »

I think the referendum will happen, as the Tories I think are likely to 'win' the next General Election. However I don't think the public will vote to exit. Once 'Europe' is personified during the campaign as cheap foreign flights and employment rights, rather than Romanians and bendy vegetables, people will be reluctant to vote to exit.

I expect to see an renenactment of the Scottish referendum. No leads, a bad poll gives Yes winning, Europe promises things, No wins, Europe changes its mind about the promises.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2014, 06:37:34 PM »

I expect to see an renenactment of the Scottish referendum. No leads, a bad poll gives Yes winning, Europe promises things, No wins, Europe changes its mind about the promises.

I doubt "Europe" will promise things, that's the system simply too rigid and slow to do, in fact if Cameron do win next election, they will likely find some popular goodies with little practical effects, he can bring home to UK before the election.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2014, 02:25:19 PM »

Speaking of, YouGov finds that 6 weeks after the referendum, support for independence now sits at 52%.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »

Labour have decided that they want to replace the House of Lords with a Senate elected from the English regions, Wales, Scotland and NI. What a ghastly thought.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2014, 05:12:37 PM »

Labour have decided that they want to replace the House of Lords with a Senate elected from the English regions, Wales, Scotland and NI. What a ghastly thought.

But very logical.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »

It's better than the status quo, although I dislike the name "Senate".
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »

What name would you pick instead for a democratically elected upper house?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2014, 09:23:02 PM »

How about Country House? Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »

Joel Barnett (aka Baron Barnett) has died aged 91. He was the Labour MP for Heywood & Royton between 1964 (when he narrowly gained the seat off the Tories) until the constituency was abolished in 1983 and served as Chief Secretary to the Treasury between 1974 and 1979. He will be remembered as the architect of the Barnett Formula, although he always pointed out that it was supposed to be a temporary solution and in his later years he supported scrapping it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2014, 04:06:06 PM »

What name would you pick instead for a democratically elected upper house?
I like The House of Less Influential Legislators.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2014, 03:45:05 AM »

Norman Baker (Lib Dem, Lewes) has resigned as Home Office minister, with a parting shot at Theresa May and the Home Office's lack of interest in evidence-based policy:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/03/norman-baker-resigns-home-office-minister

(I'd have thought he might have noticed before now, but oh well.)
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2014, 06:50:16 AM »

Norman Baker (Lib Dem, Lewes) has resigned as Home Office minister, with a parting shot at Theresa May and the Home Office's lack of interest in evidence-based policy:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/03/norman-baker-resigns-home-office-minister

(I'd have thought he might have noticed before now, but oh well.)

"Look guys, we're honestly nothing like the Tories. At all. I'm resigning. It was like walking through mud working with Theresa May, but voting with the Tories on tuition fees, tax cuts for millionaires and the Bedroom Tax was, on the other hand, a cakewalk."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2014, 12:39:49 AM »

Black-faced -seriously?  In the early 21st century?  Are they still doing minstrel shows over there?

The cultural context for this is quite different in Europe. It was always part of a racist stereotype in the US,
Not always.  The most famous wearer of black face, Al Jolson, was decidedly NOT a racist and was loved by black people.  The black face character he played was always the "smart" one in the skit, helping the dumbass whiteys. cite

In other UK news, a bunch of Libyan army dudes that were in the UK for training are being sent home for not so nice shenanigans (rape, sexual assault, theft) around the training base.  link  My favorite part was this bit
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2014, 12:12:04 PM »

change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »

Miliband leadership "on the line" after two MPs make anonymous calls for him to go.

As Dugher's pointed out, maybe the party would be more worried if those two MPs defected to another party and took two safe seats with them. But the media.

Terrible news for Ed Miliband.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2014, 05:14:38 PM »

Oh dear Lewes..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies