UK General Discussion II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:09:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion II  (Read 44793 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: April 11, 2015, 03:49:49 PM »

RIP London Sad
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #276 on: April 11, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »

Who in their right mind would think that this is a good idea.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #277 on: April 11, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »

lol, the tories have been desperate. They know that A) Labour have a strong crop of people (Lammy, Khan and Jowell) B) London is a very left leaning city, in fact it's moving towards the left C) The tories only win in Mayoral races when someone famous is running D) Boris only won because Red Ken had a  lot of baggage.

So yeah after Jeremy Paxman, Sol Campbell, Seb Coe, Karen Brady and Dracula ruled out running in 2016 the tories really are panicking. I'd love them to pick Bloomberg
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #278 on: April 11, 2015, 06:49:58 PM »

Share the Bloomberg!
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #279 on: April 11, 2015, 07:40:30 PM »

what the christ
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #280 on: April 11, 2015, 10:47:43 PM »

I thought it had become a tradition (in its short history of doing so) that London only elected political celebrities.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #281 on: April 12, 2015, 12:04:56 PM »

As Bloomberg has never been on Have I Got News For You even if he ran he wouldn't win.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2015, 11:22:21 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2015, 01:38:20 PM by Governor Simfan34 »

Polish Prince challenges Nigel Farage to a sword duel over immigration comments

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11532323/Polish-Prince-Challenges-Nigel-Farage-to-a-swords-duel-over-immigration-comments.html

FF
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2015, 01:38:19 PM by traininthedistance »

I wanna see all the other UK politicos needling Farage for his "rusty sword" now.  FF, indeed, even if Mr. Zylinski's furnishings are rather too rococo for my taste.

Also, lol @ the idea that, of all the examples he's trying to use to justify his xenophobia, he's defaulting to traffic.  Just too perfect.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2015, 01:47:54 PM »

Honestly I thought the Romanians had replaced the Polish as the bête noire of the Euroskeptics- at least in Britain, I assume on the Continent it would be the Gypsies.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2015, 01:52:15 PM »

Oh, don't worry: people here are more than capable of being multi-purpose bigots. Plenty of anti-Gypsy bigotry here as well.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #286 on: April 20, 2015, 09:24:49 AM »

Roy Mason (Lord Mason of Barnsley) had died aged 91. A former miner, he represented Barnsley (renamed Barnsley Central in 1983) from 1953 until 1987 and served in a bunch of senior posts in the Wilson and Callaghan governments. Of particular note (or notoriety; depends on your politics) was his successful-according-to-his-own-criteria stint (1976-79) as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland in which he pursued policies that can be described as hardline without fear of exaggeration.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #287 on: April 24, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »

Some questions, not very topical (but very much Simfan questions!), but it seems the history section is very much US-focused.

When (or before) the Life Peerages Act was being debated- and I am aware they had existed before then- was there ever some kind of system considered that would have allowed the creation of hereditary peerages that would have allowed only the first holder (the would-be life peer) to sit in the Lords, so in other words, the peer's heirs would have inherited the title but not the right to sit in the Lords?

Or, perhaps did anyone ever consider, for the Peerage Act 1963, a solution less dramatic than complete surrender of the peerage- that one could have, say "retired" from the Lords (apparently you can do this now?) by suspending their right to receive a writ of summons, and that whenever this was no longer desirable/necessary they could again receive the writ?

And can the Prime Minister still "recommend" the creation of heriditary peerages to the Queen?

Again, very much the sorts of questions I would ask, but, look, this is why I find your country so interesting in the first place! Going around calling everyone "Mr" and "Ms" seems so... dull. Although these days, one can't even take that for granted because we're all apparently on a first-name basis with each other now... Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #288 on: April 24, 2015, 12:00:45 PM »

And can the Prime Minister still "recommend" the creation of heriditary peerages to the Queen?

Yes, but this hadn't been done since the 80s (Thatcher was the last PM to pull this, even though only a couple of non-royal hereditary peerages were created since the Life Peerage was introduced).

I really don't see it happening.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #289 on: April 24, 2015, 03:48:22 PM »

And can the Prime Minister still "recommend" the creation of hereditary peerages to the Queen?

Yes, but this hadn't been done since the 80s (Thatcher was the last PM to pull this, even though only a couple of non-royal hereditary peerages were created since the Life Peerage was introduced).

Neither do I, just wondering if it was still possible. So the PM could recommend that person X be made a Duke or something, and it would be done. Huh. Not going to happen, but interesting all the same. There were those stories about Cameron wanting an Earldom as per the old custom. Again also likely rubbish, but if true, I could see him recommending Major be made one to "re-set the precedent" (at this point, I'm not sure if Blair would turn down one, actually). Murmurs about the Middletons as well, but that would've gone against the point...
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #290 on: April 27, 2015, 11:03:56 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2015, 05:41:02 PM by Barnes »

And can the Prime Minister still "recommend" the creation of hereditary peerages to the Queen?

Neither do I, just wondering if it was still possible. So the PM could recommend that person X be made a Duke or something, and it would be done. Huh. Not going to happen, but interesting all the same. There were those stories about Cameron wanting an Earldom as per the old custom. Again also likely rubbish, but if true, I could see him recommending Major be made one to "re-set the precedent" (at this point, I'm not sure if Blair would turn down one, actually). Murmurs about the Middletons as well, but that would've gone against the point...

Yeah, the mechanisms are all still there but with the direct right of a hereditary peer to sit in the Lords gone, they're not really desirable obviously.  Quite amusingly, Harold Macmillan was the last person not a member of the Royal Family to be made a hereditary peer (twenty years after leaving office) long after the process had fallen out of favor to life peerages.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #291 on: April 28, 2015, 03:50:52 PM »

Churchill was offered a Dukedom but declined it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies