UK General Discussion II (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:00:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion II (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion II  (Read 45307 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: October 01, 2014, 03:21:27 PM »

BNP expels ex-leader Nick Griffin http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29453341

lol
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:44:31 PM »

Gay men should not dress in drag as it’s ‘offensive to trans women’ UNLESS you are queer and it’s a mode of self-expression (that clears that up then)

I don't get this. I know I'm not a "safe space" regarding these kinds of things, but... gay men are, erm, queer, no?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:49:58 PM »

Share the Bloomberg!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 11:22:21 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2015, 01:38:20 PM by Governor Simfan34 »

Polish Prince challenges Nigel Farage to a sword duel over immigration comments

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11532323/Polish-Prince-Challenges-Nigel-Farage-to-a-swords-duel-over-immigration-comments.html

FF
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 01:47:54 PM »

Honestly I thought the Romanians had replaced the Polish as the bête noire of the Euroskeptics- at least in Britain, I assume on the Continent it would be the Gypsies.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »

Some questions, not very topical (but very much Simfan questions!), but it seems the history section is very much US-focused.

When (or before) the Life Peerages Act was being debated- and I am aware they had existed before then- was there ever some kind of system considered that would have allowed the creation of hereditary peerages that would have allowed only the first holder (the would-be life peer) to sit in the Lords, so in other words, the peer's heirs would have inherited the title but not the right to sit in the Lords?

Or, perhaps did anyone ever consider, for the Peerage Act 1963, a solution less dramatic than complete surrender of the peerage- that one could have, say "retired" from the Lords (apparently you can do this now?) by suspending their right to receive a writ of summons, and that whenever this was no longer desirable/necessary they could again receive the writ?

And can the Prime Minister still "recommend" the creation of heriditary peerages to the Queen?

Again, very much the sorts of questions I would ask, but, look, this is why I find your country so interesting in the first place! Going around calling everyone "Mr" and "Ms" seems so... dull. Although these days, one can't even take that for granted because we're all apparently on a first-name basis with each other now... Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 03:48:22 PM »

And can the Prime Minister still "recommend" the creation of hereditary peerages to the Queen?

Yes, but this hadn't been done since the 80s (Thatcher was the last PM to pull this, even though only a couple of non-royal hereditary peerages were created since the Life Peerage was introduced).

I really don't see it happening.

Neither do I, just wondering if it was still possible. So the PM could recommend that person X be made a Duke or something, and it would be done. Huh. Not going to happen, but interesting all the same. There were those stories about Cameron wanting an Earldom as per the old custom. Again also likely rubbish, but if true, I could see him recommending Major be made one to "re-set the precedent" (at this point, I'm not sure if Blair would turn down one, actually). Murmurs about the Middletons as well, but that would've gone against the point...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies