UK General Discussion II (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:50:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion II (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion II  (Read 45249 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: October 26, 2014, 12:18:54 PM »

I actually think that, over the course of the last month, Ed has become damaged goods.

The narrative even within the party seems to have gone from 'He means well and could surprise people' to 'When's his next misstep due?'.

The irony in the events of the last month seems to be that Heywood has scared the PLP so much that it's damaged Ed more than Clacton's damaged Cameron. There's a lot in saying that the Tories expected to lose Clacton.

There's a bit of fear that 2010 wasn't Labour's floor. That it could sink further below what it got. The polls themselves don't show a great deal of CON to LAB switchers. There's an over-reliance on Lib Dem 2010 voters leaking back to Labour where it counts and an over expectation that UKIP won't damage them. What you could find is that in traditionally suburban seats like Bolton West that Labour hold by a gnats wing, the Lib Dem voters who have stayed with them from 1997, could leak disproportionately back to the Conservatives, gifting them the seat from Labour. There is also a problem in Scotland, which while it may be fleeting, currently shows Labour performing as badly (and the SNP performing as well) at Westminster as they are at Holyrood, with voting intentions at 2011 levels. While Labour are maxed out in Scotland, they can't really afford to fall back.

I've heard it stated before, that Labour's vote is much more efficient the Tories'. Parties with relatively efficient votes tend to get screwed as their support declines because small wins turn into small losses. e.g. Bloc Quebecois 2011. With that in mind, how low would Labour's support have to go before their vote distribution would start harming them?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:12:35 PM »

At least the Scots have something, rather than celebrating an aged german monarch who's family should of been deposed after WW1

As, this 'argument' raises its head again. So, by your logic, Chuka Umunna is Nigerian, Sajid Javid is Pakistani, Nigel Farage is French and Malcolm Rifkind is in fact Lithuanian?

Yeah that's exactly what I think you know. I'm actually that stupid, I really appreciate you bringing this political information to light

There's a reason they changed their name during WW1

You were the one who brought Germany into it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:47:58 PM »

This question has been bugging me for a while:

Within the Unionist and Nationalist blocs in Northern Ireland, are there any strong demographic patterns? Does one sort of person prefer DUP to UUP? How about SDLP vs. Sinn Fein?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies