Labor Party Fall 2014 Convention - San Francisco, CA - ENDORSEMENTS/PLATFORM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:25:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party Fall 2014 Convention - San Francisco, CA - ENDORSEMENTS/PLATFORM
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Labor Party Fall 2014 Convention - San Francisco, CA - ENDORSEMENTS/PLATFORM  (Read 6644 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 01:10:21 AM »

I nominate the great city of San Antonio, Texas

That's a Northeastern city?

I nominate Fort Lee, New Jersey
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 01:11:39 AM »

Portland, Maine. For funsies.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 01:17:18 AM »

That's a Northeastern city?

I nominate Fort Lee, New Jersey

Oh we had to nominate a city from there?

I'll second Fort Lee then.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 04:11:45 AM »

Burlington, Vermont
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 05:33:11 AM »

That isn't in the Northeast.

I second Buffalo.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2014, 02:17:48 PM »

We did Pittsburgh last time we swung by this most glorious region, right?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 06:51:45 AM »

I am preparing a revised version of the by-laws, but in doing so, I would like to solicit some feedback from the rank-and-file.

What would you like to see done differently in Labor? How can we do things better? One proposal I'm toying with is term limits for members of the Politburo and requiring a pledge for officeholders to retire after a certain number of consecutive terms in one position or another. I think that both of these would strengthen our party because they would open up avenues for new members to get involved. What do you all think?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 08:50:55 AM »

[CON] I believe we had a situation similarly before where we had a "tie" of sorts with convention suggestions, so in order to break it, we'll go in chronological order of submission.

The voting for the February 2015 Labor Party Convention will commence, and will last for 24 hours.

Winter 2015 Labor Party Convention Location:

[ ] Buffalo, NY
[ ] Fort Lee, NJ
[ ] Scranton, PA
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 01:45:21 PM »

1. Buffalo, NY
2. Scranton, PA
3. Fort Lee, NJ
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »

1. Buffalo, NY
2. Scranton, PA
3. Fort Lee, NJ
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 02:31:30 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 02:44:19 PM »

Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 03:33:46 PM »

1. Fort Lee
2. Buffalo
3. Scranton
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »

I am preparing a revised version of the by-laws, but in doing so, I would like to solicit some feedback from the rank-and-file.

What would you like to see done differently in Labor? How can we do things better? One proposal I'm toying with is term limits for members of the Politburo and requiring a pledge for officeholders to retire after a certain number of consecutive terms in one position or another. I think that both of these would strengthen our party because they would open up avenues for new members to get involved. What do you all think?

The potential downside to that is, there may come a time when a position holder is willing and able to continue beyond the term limit, and there are no other members who want that job- or perhaps the willing individual would be a bad fit for that job.  I would oppose term limits for officeholders.

As far as things that could be changed, I would suggest we dispense with the [CON], [BYL], etc. in these conventions.  Only Griffin is paying attention to doing that anyways.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2014, 03:52:09 PM »

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »

You guys want to go to Buffalo in the winter? I should have nominated a coastal spot in the southernmost part of the NE. Tongue

[1] Fort Lee, NJ
[2] Buffalo, NY
[3] Scranton, PA
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2014, 04:38:05 PM »

Western New York lobby represent!
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2014, 04:47:28 PM »

I would also like to see the General Secretary position being removed; it's clear we need to tone down the number of official party positions to streamline how this party is run.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2014, 04:48:38 PM »

I would also like to see the General Secretary position being removed; it's clear we need to tone down the number of official party positions to streamline how this party is run.

And party attorney if that is still in there.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the Party Attorney position since it's pretty much pointless, but keep the General Secretary around. The Secretary IIRC does help GOTV during elections and Labor has needed that as of late.

[1] Fort Lee, NJ
[2] Scranton, PA
[3] Buffalo, NY
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »

I think it's also clear that we need to reform the platform process. Perhaps we should get rid of the Vice Chair position and instead create a committee that would be responsible for drawing up proposals that would be voted on by the whole party like we're doing this time around.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »

Scranton
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 05:36:22 PM »

[CON] During the voting period and by a vote of 5-4, Buffalo, NY shall be the location of the Winter 2015 Labor Party Convention!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2014, 05:53:39 PM by Uneducated Peon X »

Will Labor include a plank in it's platform condemning the President's nomination of noted-anti gay rights activist Hifly as SoEA?  I'm not trying to make trouble or anything, I'm just trying to figure out what to make of this.  I haven't been here in awhile so maybe things have changed, but I seem to recall a number of Laborites being well to even my left on marriage-related issues.  So I hope you'll forgive me if I'm rather perplexed by the current Labor President, DemPGH, nominating Atlasia's most infamous opponent of marriage equality (my apologies to Senator JCL, but he is no longer Atlasia's chief opponent of marriage equality Tongue ) to the cabinet shortly after the latter rammed through the Mideast Assembly a bill that would've forced public schools to indoctrinate our children with reprehensible homophobic propaganda.  

Anyway, I was just hoping someone could clarify the Labor Party's position on marriage equality for me.  Was there some seismic shift while I was gone that caused Labor to become an anti-gay rights party?  It seems kind of weird that a party that includes prominent supporters of legalizing group marriage, polygamy, and incest would decide same-sex marriage is the issue where they decide to tack in a more socially conservative direction, but there you go, I guess.  Or do you guys still support marriage equality for our nation's LGBT community?  I'm sorry to have to ask this if the Labor Party does still supports marriage equality, but I just want to make sure I don't have to worry about Senator JCL filling a Supreme Court vacancy or something Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »

Will Labor include a plank in it's platform condemning the President's nomination of noted-anti gay rights activist Hifly as SoEA?  I'm not trying to make trouble or anything, I'm just trying to figure out what to make of this.  I haven't been here in awhile so maybe things have changed, but I seem to recall a number of Laborites being well to even my left on marriage-related issues.  So I hope you'll forgive me if I'm rather perplexed by the current Labor President, DemPGH, nominating Atlasia's most infamous opponent of marriage equality (my apologies to Senator JCL Tongue ) to the cabinet shortly after the latter rammed through the Mideast Assembly a bill that would've forced public schools to indoctrinate our children with reprehensible homophobic propaganda.  

Anyway, I was just hoping someone could clarify the Labor Party's position on marriage equality for me.  Was there some seismic shift while I was gone that caused Labor to become an anti-gay rights party?  It seems kind of weird that a party that includes prominent supporters of legalizing group marriage, polygamy, and incest would decide same-sex marriage is the issue where they decide to tack in a more socially conservative direction, but there you go, I guess.  Or do you guys still support marriage equality for our nation's LGBT community?  I'm sorry to have to ask this if the Labor Party does still supports marriage equality, but I just want to make sure I don't have to worry about Senator JCL filling a Supreme Court vacancy or something Tongue

Labor was the party that, you know, actually noticed what hifly was doing in the Mideast, and a leading force behind the scenes and publicly to take care of that issue. With that being said, if someone's actions precluded them from ever being able to do anything else in this game, then half the population would have ceased to exist. I personally don't care much for the guy, but the same could be said regarding the position of SoEA among the population. If you or someone you know would make a better SoEA, then by all means, apply. If not, then you really don't get to complain about any of this. Stop trying to stir up nonsense, as it's not going to make you cool in the eyes of anyone who you think it will.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies