Labor Party Fall 2014 Convention - San Francisco, CA - ENDORSEMENTS/PLATFORM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:45:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party Fall 2014 Convention - San Francisco, CA - ENDORSEMENTS/PLATFORM
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Labor Party Fall 2014 Convention - San Francisco, CA - ENDORSEMENTS/PLATFORM  (Read 6717 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2014, 02:18:48 AM »

Uncle Aaron continues to miss the point again. If you actually paid a decent amount of attention to Northeastern politics,  you'll see the legislation I've proposed, and I have faith that Speaker SWE will introduce it to a vote soon. I'm just saying - I'd expect you, especially considering your preference, to flagrantly speak out against it. Not make lukewarm statements about how you helped kill the Mideast Hate Bill while dismissing valid concerns about his bigotry as "IRC derping and trololoing" (which seems to be a common theme of yours recently).

Yeah, my over-arching theme here is that the Senate, President and Vice-President get to decide hifly's fate, as they do with all confirmations. Your bill is quite irrelevant here, which is the point you're missing: these are two separate issues, and any connection between the two I trust will be resolved during the confirmation hearing, and not by your's or anyone else's grand-standing. That is, unless, we're deciding here and now that we're going to conduct ourselves by a completely different standard that was has been the status quo.

There are plenty of people in this game who have proposed and engaged in some pretty disqualifying behavior when it comes to holding public office - some known, some not - and the only real difference here is the amount of time that's elapsed between the two. If it's an issue (which almost always, is not when it comes to rehabilitating their political careers), then the amount of time in between the acts shouldn't matter, now should it? People have proposed and passed asinine legislation regarding abortions, made rape jokes, destroyed regions, attempted to secede entire regions from the game, served entire terms while being MIA and a litany of other shocking acts, yet they've all been given a pass because it was either kept hush-hush or enough time has passed for many to not know or remember. The fact that these two events in this case are only a week apart is the only reason this is getting attention and not the others, and I call bullshit on the inconsistencies and the fact that some shit-heads get a pass, while others do not.

And thanks for reminding me of my "preference": I'll be sure to take your completely-irrelevant life experience on the matter into account.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2014, 07:31:27 AM »

Possibly the worst thing about atlasia is people bringing up anonymous allegations of people they've "spoken" to as if that means anything. And this is not a party issue- quite a few high profile federalists agree with me on that.

Anyway it's quite amusing to see X allege that labor is some sort of stalinist organisation where no dissent is tolerated when he spent his entire labor senate term proposing drugs bills which everyone else in labor disagreed with.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »

There are plenty of people in this game who have proposed and engaged in some pretty disqualifying behavior when it comes to holding public office - some known, some not - and the only real difference here is the amount of time that's elapsed between the two. If it's an issue (which almost always, is not when it comes to rehabilitating their political careers), then the amount of time in between the acts shouldn't matter, now should it? People have...served entire terms while being MIA and a litany of other shocking acts, yet they've all been given a pass because it was either kept hush-hush or enough time has passed for many to not know or remember.

Ah, yes, like you gave a free pass to my opponent and his constant disappearing acts.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »

Would sawx and X mind engaging in their campaign of falsehoods and half-truths elsewhere? We've got a convention to attend to, and I would appreciate not having to scroll through walls of text in order to have to address my own party's debate on the bylaws, thanks.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »

Would sawx and X mind engaging in their campaign of falsehoods and half-truths elsewhere? We've got a convention to attend to, and I would appreciate not having to scroll through walls of text in order to have to address my own party's debate on the bylaws, thanks.

So now Labor is going to deny that Barnes has a history of waltzing in and out of the job (which has been pretty well-documented). I mean I thought you all didn't have much of a grasp on reality, but Jesus Christ. I never thought it was total detachment.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2014, 02:12:07 PM »

As Vice Chair of the party I'd request all of my fellow TPP members leave the Labor Party to their convention and discuss these matters in the several other threads we have on the subject. Labor Party members have been kind enough to not invade our convention, let us repay the courtesy. Thanks.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2014, 02:22:05 PM »

I appreciate that, Oakvale.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2014, 02:42:15 PM »

Non-Laborites who persistently disturb this Convention will be tased, hauled off by Governor Varavour's Armed People's Republican Guards.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2014, 12:26:19 PM »

What does everyone think about term limits for serving in the Politburo?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »

What does everyone think about term limits for serving in the Politburo?

I'm supportive in general, as well as for streamlining the number of party officials.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »

Personally I think we would be fine with just one elected official: a Chairman, who is term limited to two consecutive terms and then can run again once one term has elapsed.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »

I'm supportive of term limits in the game in general, if for no other reason than to give everyone who wants to advance a chance to do so.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2014, 03:06:14 PM »

I don't see that a lot of formal positions are necessary, so I'm also supportive of your suggestions regarding the Politburo, TNF. I suppose a Chairman and a Vice Chair at most, but I would support just a Chair. I'm mixed on term limits - if someone is doing something that they want to do, let them, but if there are other interested people, then I'd support term limits. I guess figuring that out is the tough part, and maybe if we had term limits, other people would want to jump in.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »

[BYL] Parts that have been proposed to be eliminated that were not contested have been removed from the below proposal. Proposed changes (additions/clarifications) are bolded. Items where there either was disagreement or that were newly-suggested are listed below in a line-item fashion (four in all), to be voted upon. This vote will last for 24 hours.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Adding the following to Section 5:

[  ] Yes
[  ] No

Adding the text in red to Section 7:

Term Limits for Politburo:

[  ] One term
[  ] Two terms
[  ] No term limits

Composition of Politburo:

[  ] Have a Chair only
[  ] Have a Chair and VC
[  ] Have a Chair, VC & Gen Secretary
[  ] Keep as-is
[  ] Other (explain yourself)
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2014, 12:11:34 AM »

I guess the Atlasian Civil War distracted most of us from remembering to vote on the convention proposal. Tongue

For what it's worth, I support Section 5 and two terms max/Chair, Vice Chair, & General Secretary in the Politburo.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2014, 12:20:21 AM »

4. Other Officeholders
 a. The members of the Politburo may appoint other members of the party to assist them in each of their duties as they see fit.
 b. The Politiburo as a whole reserves the right to be informed of any such appointments in a timely manner.
 c. The Politburo may, by simple majority vote, dismiss any such officeholder from their services.

[X] Yes
[  ] No

VII. PRIMARY PROCEDURE

1. All Labor Party candidates are automatically endorsed by the Party, except for the following situations in which there will be a Labor Party Primary:
  a. If there are more Labor Party members running than open spots in a given election
  b. If a Labor Party member is a presidential or vice-presidential candidate on a cross-party ticket
  c. If there are more than 3 candidates for Senate in a regularly-scheduled Senate election
  d. The concerned candidate falls under the circumstances outlined in Section VII-3.

[  ] One term
[  ] Two terms
[X] No term limits

[  ] Have a Chair only
[X] Have a Chair and VC
[  ] Keep as-is
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2014, 01:05:44 AM »

Talleyrand, the time limit on the vote ended, unfortunately. It started on Oct. 4th at 9:09 pm EST and ended 24 hours after that. Adam might extend the voting period, but we'll see what happens.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2014, 01:37:31 AM »

Extended for another 24 hours.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2014, 01:57:05 AM »

[X] Yes
[  ] No

[  ] One term
[X] Two terms
[  ] No term limits

[  ] Have a Chair only
[  ] Have a Chair and VC
[X] Have a Chair, VC & Gen Secretary
[  ] Keep as-is
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2014, 02:43:34 AM »

1. Yes.
2. Two Terms.
3. Chair & VC.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2014, 05:22:44 AM »

1. Yes.
2. No Terms.
3. Chair & VC.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »

1. Yes
2. Two Terms.
3. Chair only.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2014, 10:52:52 AM »

4. Other Officeholders
 a. The members of the Politburo may appoint other members of the party to assist them in each of their duties as they see fit.
 b. The Politiburo as a whole reserves the right to be informed of any such appointments in a timely manner.
 c. The Politburo may, by simple majority vote, dismiss any such officeholder from their services.

[X] Yes
[  ] No

VII. PRIMARY PROCEDURE

1. All Labor Party candidates are automatically endorsed by the Party, except for the following situations in which there will be a Labor Party Primary:
  a. If there are more Labor Party members running than open spots in a given election
  b. If a Labor Party member is a presidential or vice-presidential candidate on a cross-party ticket
  c. If there are more than 3 candidates for Senate in a regularly-scheduled Senate election
  d. The concerned candidate falls under the circumstances outlined in Section VII-3.

[  ] One term
[  ] Two terms
[X] No term limits

[  ] Have a Chair only
[X] Have a Chair and VC
[  ] Keep as-is

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2014, 05:17:19 PM »

1. Yes.
2. Two terms.
3. Chair, Vice-Chair, and General Secretary.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2014, 12:58:06 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies