Opinion of William McKinley
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:35:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of William McKinley
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Opinion of William McKinley  (Read 2833 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 03:27:12 PM »

Tell that to he Filipinos.
Wouldn't have figured you for a pro-imperialist, I thought you were more of a Libertarian.

So they wanted to be under Spanish control forever?  I was not aware of that.  Bad things happen with every war.....we do lots of things we're not supposed to do and hide it.

I'm a free trader too, but maybe his decisions were right for that particular moment in time.  Seems like they were. 

It seems as though the U.S. propsered and wasn't in any prolonged conflict during his tenure, so I gave him an FF.....but I'm not a McKinley worshiper.

The Filipinos liberated themselves and declared a republic in 1899, which the US defeated in a war 1899-1902 resulting in up to 220.000 Filipino casualties, then you got guerrilla activities until 1913, so quite a bit of warfare resulting from McKinley's actions.

Interesting.  It's an important piece of real estate even to this day, clearly.  Who knows what would have happened had he not taken that action.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 01:22:59 PM »

His bad (foreign policy) outweighed his good (support for Gold Standard).

He was an imperialist certainly, though for today's standards he would probably be slightly less imperialist than the average member of Congress.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »

He was an imperialist certainly, though for today's standards he would probably be slightly less imperialist than the average member of Congress.

lol
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies