Opinion of "All About That Bass"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:32:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of "All About That Bass"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor
Freedom song, freedom message

Freedom song, horrible message

Horrible song, freedom message

Horrible song, horrible message

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Opinion of "All About That Bass"  (Read 3029 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »

Ah, Lomborg is one of the darlings of TIME magazine, and a few other US media outlets.  NatGeo even did a big spread about him.  Also, his philosophy is sometimes described as "the Danish" mode.  Of course, here in the United States, we also use the phrase "the Danish" to describe a very fattening cream-filled pastry, so don't get your panties in a tight little wad over this.  We don't have rules saying that you can't call it "Texas" chili if it's from New Jersey or you can't call it "Champagne" if it's from California.  We're not like the French in that regard, so no offense.

Anyway, I don't want to get sidetracked here.  This seems mostly to be an artist influenced by the sounds of the 50s and the sights of the 80s and who has taken a sociology project on herself.  Or upon herself and her producers.  Also, it's sufficiently boppy and happy music so that you can still concentrate on other stuff and not get distracted.  Try playing Pink Floyd's The Wall while you do your statistical mechanics homework, sometime, before putting this one down.  It's okay.  It's background.  Sort of like Wham or Madonna.  Good for shopping malls and elevators.  Nothing wrong with that. 

Also I think the bass clef is systematically marginalized.  I mentioned that to my son's piano teacher once.  It seems like every cartoon or T-shirt meant to symbolize music always features this symbol

At one of his Christmas concerts she was wearing a broach with that symbol on it and I mentioned at that time that the bass clef gets no respect.  She giggled, but I was serious.  It is clearly an underrepresented register, and I think it's nice to see somebody toss a little nod in its direction from time to time. 
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »

At one of his Christmas concerts she was wearing a broach with that symbol on it and I mentioned at that time that the bass clef gets no respect.  She giggled, but I was serious.  It is clearly an underrepresented register, and I think it's nice to see somebody toss a little nod in its direction from time to time. 

Well, it certainly isn't as bad as the obscurity reserved for violists and their alto clef.

I play an instrument that is typically written for in the bass clef and I don't even like it. Unless the sheet music is very clearly written or engraved, it becomes difficult to read notes that are written on four and five ledger lines above the staff. If I'm going to be playing any extended passage above C4, I'd much rather see it in tenor or treble clef.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »

Ah, the notorious alto clef.  

I actually had not heard of this song till I saw this thread, now I watch the video at least two times per day.  My son enjoys it very much.  Apparently a couple of kids are always singing it on the playground at his school so he was already familiar with the song.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »

I heard this song in real life today!

I took the boy to a skating rink.  Against his mother's advice, I bought him a pair of in-line skates a few months ago.  I decided not to fight that battle, rather to surreptitiously buy him a pair and present them.  Sure, there have been some bruises and abrasions, but he has enjoyed them on the asphalt trails and sidewalks.  He has been asking me for months to take him to a proper indoor skating rink with polished wooden floor.  Finally, there was a buy-one-get-one-free admissions coupon to Overlook Park Skate so I took him.  He insisted that I rent a pair and go skating as well.  It has been at least 30 years, and probably more, since I've been roller skating, and I've never tried the in-line skates.  Nevertheless, I was a good sport.  It took me about 30 minutes to get the hang of it, but I was persistent and I don't mind saying that I soon became quite proficient with them.  By the end of the three-hour episode, I was drenched in sweat and had received a decent cardiovascular workout.  Most of the parents sat on the sidelines, but there was one other old guy besides me.  Other than the two of us, it was all children, ages 6 through 14 I'd estimate.  Anyway, at some point "All about that bass" started blaring through the speakers and all the kids, including my son, got excited about it and started singing along.  The crowd's reaction was delightful.  Evidently it's a popular tune.

I was very sore afterward, and immediately went to the jacuzzi and just stewed for half an hour before I did anything else.  I think I'll just rest this evening and enjoy a nice stiff drink.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 01:36:47 AM »

I had never heard this song.

I like poppy music, but I like varied instrumentation and lyrics too. This is very bland to me and, as mentioned, I found the actual lack of bass pretty silly. This was very straightforward and didn't inspire any emotions (though the dancing obese man was good for a smile).

As for the idea behind the song, it is okay. It's good to be positive about what you're stuck with. But it's not good to be proud of being unhealthy (or thinking that being a massive sweaty tub of bipedal grease is "perfect." Not that the singer herself is outrageously overweight.)

Overall, I'll be glad not to hear it again.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 09:16:23 AM »

Everything about this song is gross, get some George Clinton in here if we want some god damn bass.

Also, did I just read someone in this thread doesn't like bass? What even is that?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »

Also, did I just read someone in this thread doesn't like bass? What even is that?

Nah, he just wants his trombone score written in the treble clef so his brain will stop hurting.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 07:07:20 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2014, 07:09:20 PM by memphis »

So, my gym recently changed their radio from the Classic Rock station to the de facto Girlpop station and this is one of the dozen or so unbearable songs that run in a cycle while I'm running in a cycle, trying not to be a fata$$. I had no idea until this thread that the song is actually all about glorifying fata$$ery, but whatever. It's still not the most counter productive song in the rotation. That honor goes to this monstrosity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXoZLPSw8U8
I would rather listen to nails on a chalkboard, but I guarantee you I will hear it again tomorrow just as certainly as the sun will rise in the east.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 07:41:38 PM »

Interesting.  I haven't heard it at the gym yet.  (outside this forum and the one time at the skating rink, I haven't heard it at all.)  My gym also goes through cycles.  For a while there was song about there not being enough rain in Oklahoma which played at least twice each time I went there.  I always thought of Bushie when that song came on.  Then they went through an 80s period.  Not sure what they're doing now.  I'll be there for about an hour tomorrow evening, so I'll listen for All about that Bass.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 07:04:32 PM »

And it just opened Game 1 of the World Series on FOX.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »

It is catchy, although Im susceptible to that faux retro 50's sound, like Amy Winehouse's wall of sound hit Rehab.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies