Why is Eisenhower so praised?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:02:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why is Eisenhower so praised?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why is Eisenhower so praised?  (Read 12059 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2015, 11:54:52 PM »

I have to say, after reading several chapters of the book Republicans and Race (an absolute must-read if you want an understanding of the politics of the civil rights movement that extends beyond the storybook version you get in your high school AP Gov class or ... this forum), I find it rather amusing that anyone would try to characterize Dwight Eisenhower as a liberal.  Let's not confuse being a pragmatist with not being conservative.  Eisenhower believed any achievements had to come from the political center, but don't think he didn't harbor strong distaste for what he saw as FDR's and Truman's overreaching expansion of the federal government and unnecessary intervention in business affairs.

I know a few know-it-alls who prefer a simpler version of history (and perhaps more importantly have a vested interest in distancing past Republicans, especially those remembered fondly by historians, from the modern Republican party) might call me out on this, so I'll post some direct quotes tomorrow when I have time.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies