Catalan Independence Referendum (with FREE constitutional crisis!) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:28:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Catalan Independence Referendum (with FREE constitutional crisis!) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Catalan Independence Referendum (with FREE constitutional crisis!)  (Read 11751 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: September 27, 2014, 02:26:59 PM »
« edited: September 27, 2014, 02:31:30 PM by Governor Varavour »

Don't rule out the intervention of the military if it all goes pot. Actually they are certainly intervening already.

Tell me more.

Rajoy could just symbolically call the ''No'' voters to boycott the referendum and it effectively becomes a joke. That didn't stop Bosnia from declaring independence from Yugoslavia, but Catalonia won't have the same issue with Bosnian Serbs, would it?

Also, will the old Paises Catalans not be involved? Seems like their giving up their claim to them.

If a majority of registered (or qualified, whatever) voters voted "Yes", I have difficulty seeing such a tactic working.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is this something they'd really want to do? Wouldn't the... effects of this be, well, uh...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2014, 02:49:52 PM by Governor Varavour »

Rajoy could just symbolically call the ''No'' voters to boycott the referendum and it effectively becomes a joke. That didn't stop Bosnia from declaring independence from Yugoslavia, but Catalonia won't have the same issue with Bosnian Serbs, would it?

Also, will the old Paises Catalans not be involved? Seems like their giving up their claim to them.

If a majority of registered (or qualified, whatever) voters voted "Yes", I have difficulty seeing such a tactic working.

Is this something they'd really want to do? Wouldn't the... effects of this be, well, uh...

The question was on the Catalan speaking regions outside Catalonia. Qualified voters have to vote "Yes-Yes", "Yes-No" or just "No". Voters are qualified to answer the second question if they have voted "yes" to the first question. As for the suspension of the autonomy, the effects would be... well, I agree with you.

Ah, I see. Do you think "Yes-Yes" could get an outright majority of the electorate? 

Either way this is all very exciting. I cannot wait to hear what my professor thinks of this, he is Catalonian and a big pro-independence guy...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 03:35:46 PM »

See, this was what I was wondering: as to how Madrid could physically stop the referendum from taking place. Could the regional government seize ballot boxes by force? What would the police do if given contradictory orders?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 08:07:31 PM »

This calls for flowcharts!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 09:07:45 PM »

The author says the probabilities of more sh-t hitting the fan as opposed to less have gone up:

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 04:01:03 PM »

The constitutional court has thrown out the "consultation" held last November for being unconstitutional, rejecting the conceit that its non-binding status rendered it "outside the constitution" rather than "against the constitution", instead considering it as a full-blown referendum. As such, the regional government did not have the right to hold such referenda on "issues that affect all Spaniards", making the "consultation" illegal.

Curiously, I found this while trying to figure out whatever happened in Veneto after 56% of registered voters apparently voted to secede from Italy (!) and whether or not that actually happened.

Anyway, CiU and ERC have now said that they will now regard the November elections as a "plebiscite on Catalonia’s relationship with Spain", and pushing things towards a unilateral declaration of independence...  This of course provides us with an opportunity to bring out some new flowcharts from Señor Fernando Betancourt! (The article is worth reading itself as well.)

What he says below is particularly interesting if true:

Things, it seems, are only getting messier...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies