Catalan Independence Referendum (with FREE constitutional crisis!) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:26:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Catalan Independence Referendum (with FREE constitutional crisis!) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Catalan Independence Referendum (with FREE constitutional crisis!)  (Read 11769 times)
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« on: September 29, 2014, 04:47:24 AM »

As it stands, the Madrid government is almost provoking the catalanista electorate into turning out and voting Yes-Yes. Or, should I say, "si no, No!" Smiley

Exactly, that's the situation right now. The options in play are independence or statu quo, with an ambiguous and not defined "statehood without independence" option inbetween (the "Yes-No"). There is an overwhelming majority of Catalans disaffected with the statu quo, so inflexibility and "do nothing" policies provoke them to choose the "Yes-Yes" option.

The conflict here is between the will of the people to vote on their future and the rule of law. While it's illegal to act against the Constitution in order to secede unilaterally, when the letter of the law is contrary to the will of the people, it's legitimacy becomes questionable.

The only example that I know dealing with this complex question is the Clarity Act passed by the Parliament of Canada. While contexts are different, I think some of the key points are applicable.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-31.8/FullText.html

What does this mean? Seems very strange to have it as an option if people won't know what they're actually voting for.
I'd say it's meant to push federalism on the agenda, should the Si-Si option not garner enough votes. I'm not sure if right now an autonomous Spanish region like Catalonia has more autonomy than a German Land for example, but surely Catalonia would at least want to be a state within a federation, basically enabling them to go their own way at some distant point in the future.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »

I had heard about how Barcelona wouldn't be permitted to play in La Liga if independence happened but I just learned that the Catalunya league made official requests of Serie A, Ligue 1 and the Prem to see if Barça could play in one of those leagues. Only the French entertained it (not surprising).
Haha Barça playing in Ligue 1 would be like the Red Sox playing in Little League ! (free US reference so our more Europeanly-challenged Muricans can understand what's going on)

Anyway, back to elections. Would ERC and ICV still hold the referendum or did they just drop it to favor plebiscite leading to unilateral declaration ?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies