What if... Democrats retake the House & get to 60+ in the Senate this November?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:14:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What if... Democrats retake the House & get to 60+ in the Senate this November?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if... Democrats retake the House & get to 60+ in the Senate this November?  (Read 1327 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2014, 05:24:37 PM »

Highly unlikely,  but let's say everyone is surprised by Democratic turnout, and they not only keep the Senate but get to over 60 Senate seats, and retake the House by 10-20 seats.

How unlikely that is, is NOT the purpose of the thread.

I'm wondering, if that happened, what would the Democrats do? What would they accomplish in 2015 & 2016?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 05:57:23 PM »

Both sides would be shocked, so there might be some initial confusion. One issue for Democrats is that they wouldn't be prepared for this contingency.

You'd be unlikely to have the problems with party-line voting in 2009 and 2010, as the size of the Democratic victory would suggest that the voters are on their side, given all the Democrats that will have won in Romney sides.

The earliest votes would likely deal with protections of previously enacted policies. I'd imagine that the debt limit would get torched. There might be some national Voter Rights laws.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »

Highly unlikely,  but let's say everyone is surprised by Democratic turnout, and they not only keep the Senate but get to over 60 Senate seats, and retake the House by 10-20 seats.

I'm wondering, if that happened, what would the Democrats do? What would they accomplish in 2015 & 2016?

At the very least, we'd get a minimum wage raise and immigration reform. And a government actually running smoothly for 2 years.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »

At the very least, we'd get a minimum wage raise and immigration reform. And a government actually running smoothly for 2 years.

What makes you think that? It wasn't exactly smooth last time, even though they did get a good deal done.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 06:10:26 PM »

What makes you think that? It wasn't exactly smooth last time, even though they did get a good deal done.

The thing is, you don't get much done with presidential election just two years away.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 06:28:44 PM »

The Republican party would probably end up disbanding
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 06:31:05 PM »

I'm guessing it would end up like this with the three independents caucusing with the Democrats.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 06:37:23 PM »

In order to get to 60 seats in the Senate, there would have to be quite a few Blue Dogs, which might be problematic.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2014, 07:02:57 PM by Blue3 »

The earliest votes would likely deal with protections of previously enacted policies. I'd imagine that the debt limit would get torched. There might be some national Voter Rights laws.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Along with passing ENDA.

What would be done on infrastructure, taxes, and entitlements? Or civil liberties? Or drug policy? Or foreign policy? Or government reform?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 07:08:31 PM »

I'd suspect voter fraud.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 07:17:22 PM »

There could be things with immigration, environment, minimum wage and maybe card check?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 02:00:40 PM »

KCDem

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 03:06:25 PM »

Not happening #muhRepublicanwave
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 03:24:06 PM »

I'm guessing it would end up like this with the three independents caucusing with the Democrats.

Senator Curtis, Tennant, and Alameel would all be hilarious.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 03:55:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure Senator Childers is likelier than Senator Alameel.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 04:03:38 PM »

Senator Curtis would be a pipe dream for progressives, except it wouldn't be a dream.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 04:12:54 PM »

Exactly my thoughts. These would be the two main issues handled.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 06:12:56 PM »

Senator Tennant would probably switch to the Republicans to deny Democrats 60. She already disagrees with Obama on every issue.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »

Senator Tennant would probably switch to the Republicans to deny Democrats 60. She already disagrees with Obama on every issue.

Honestly this is probably the scenario where she (or any other conservative democrats) would be least likely to switch parties. She would automatically get a ton of leverage and influence on policy by virtue of being the least reliable vote that a Democratic proposal would need in order to pass.

On an unrelated note, the Democratic House Caucus would be fine in this scenario even with a lot of new members from conservative districts. Pelosi is the Wizard of the Whip, possessing a superhuman ability for coordinating the votes of Blue Dogs in order to pass progressive legislation
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 07:03:27 PM »

The minimum wage would clearly be the issue they could get the most done on, since it probably would be something the caucus would universally vote yes on.

It won't happen, but if it did, it would be hilarious to see Republicans explode.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 07:06:12 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2014, 07:07:45 AM by OC »

I can see Dems netting 9 house seats and having 53 senate votes. Very easily. Realistically, 2016 was their goal, holding our own in House and Senate, and adding gov seats.  So we have netwok im 2016 to retake House.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies