I just finished watching Gone with the Wind.. in theaters.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:58:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I just finished watching Gone with the Wind.. in theaters.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I just finished watching Gone with the Wind.. in theaters.  (Read 425 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2014, 09:22:44 PM »
« edited: September 28, 2014, 09:36:37 PM by retromike22 »

I just got back from the 75th rerelease of Gone with the Wind. It's been one of my favorite movies ever since I first saw it back in 2002. I hadn't seen in a few years, so I thought it would be great to see it a theater for once.

It was wonderful Smiley The crowd was mostly older, as expected, but there were some young folks in there, including young couples. I was amazed on how well the movie held up since 1939. The audience was really into it, laughing out loud at the humor and gasping at the shocking moments.

I wish they would rerelease older movies more often. It's a much different and better experience than watching it all alone on a tv or laptop.

Note: They're having it again on October 1st:
http://www.fathomevents.com/event/gone-with-the-wind-75th-anniversary
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:26:06 PM »

Gone With The Wind is one of my all time favorite films, and my favorite book out of all i've ever read. Words don't express how much I love it. I would also suggest that you read the book as well; it's better than the movie Smiley.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 09:32:59 PM »

I was going to invite a friend of mine to see this on Friday, but I totally forgot about it Tongue.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:36:06 AM »

I respect the movie for its technology and film-craft... but otherwise I find it generally insufferable.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »

It was wonderful Smiley The crowd was mostly older, as expected
I don't know what's worse...that Disney didn't do anything like this for Snow White in 2012 (and won't next year for Pinocchio or Fantasia), or that.

Anyway, I'm so glad that Warner's gives their films (and the MGM classics they now own) the love they deserve and doesn't consider them "outdated" like Disney does for theirs.

I wish they would rerelease older movies more often. It's a much different and better experience than watching it all alone on a tv or laptop.
My feelings exactly.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »

I respect the movie for its technology and film-craft... but otherwise I find it generally insufferable.

This; Gone With the Wind is a mysogenistic and extremely racist film.  It is one of the two chief embodiments of Hollywood's historical romanticization of the Confederacy.  It is a "great" film in the way that Birth of a Nation or Triumph of the Will are sometimes referred to as "great" films.  Like those films it was a remarkable accomplishment in a technical/filmcraft sense, but (also like those films) it was also propaganda for a fundamentally evil societal system.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »

This; Gone With the Wind is a mysogenistic and extremely racist film.  It is one of the two chief embodiments of Hollywood's historical romanticization of the Confederacy.  It is a "great" film in the way that Birth of a Nation or Triumph of the Will are sometimes referred to as "great" films.  Like those films it was a remarkable accomplishment in a technical/filmcraft sense, but (also like those films) it was also propaganda for a fundamentally evil societal system.
This is true, but that doesn't make it worth not seeing.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »

And Scarlett O'Hara might be one of the most irritating characters ever put on celluloid.
Panda Express

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 05:01:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 04:52:52 PM »

It's no more racist or misogynist than the way blacks and women were commonly depicted in other films of that time.  And given the context of the setting, I think it only makes sense.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies