Confirmation Hearing: Hifly15 for SoEA (Rejected)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:48:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Hifly15 for SoEA (Rejected)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Hifly15 for SoEA (Rejected)  (Read 2173 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2014, 04:45:38 PM »
« edited: October 05, 2014, 06:28:46 PM by Senator Lumine (PPT) »

hifly15 is nominated to replace Averroës Nix as SoEA.

Senators, you have up to 72 hours to question the nominee.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:54:17 PM »

I'm.... At a loss... Really?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 09:06:06 PM »

I need a little while on this one.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 09:09:23 PM »

Will you do the right thing and take a stand for persecuted LGBT citizens around the globe given your less than, shall we say, embracing philosophy?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 10:38:54 PM »

Please forgive me if they are a lot of questions, but I am quite curious about your foreign policy views:

-Do you plan to have an overreaching theme or message as SoEA?

-What would you say is your priority/ies regarding the position?

-What are your thoughts regarding China and Russia? Do you see them as rivals? If so, how would to try to contain them?

-What is your take on the Middle East right now? (The Superique Peace Plan, ISIS, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iran and so forth)

-Where do you stand on the Peace and Prosperity Act of 2014?

-Overall, do you feel we should be spending more on the defense sector or continue with the cuts that have been enacted over the past months?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 07:13:38 AM »

Will you do the right thing and take a stand for persecuted LGBT citizens around the globe given your less than, shall we say, embracing philosophy?

Of course I will. My stance on marriage is no indication of my stance on gay people and their plight around the globe. We need to continue condemnation of Russia's anti gay law and take heed of any deliberate targeting of LGBT people that ensues in current conflicts.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 07:29:31 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Having discussed foreign policy with the president, we are in agreement that interventionism is not always the best solution to solving potential humanitarian crises and maintaining the stability of affairs around the globe. My main theme would be to try and prevent Atlasian military intervention except where a direct threat is posed while encouraging the use of other methods to solve these problems.

One of my main priorities would be maintaining strong communicative links with all members of the UN, even those who we consider to be our political enemies. These form the basic foundation for stable relationships. We need to prevent unilateral decisions.
Minimising Atlasian military force worldwide is another major priority as well reforming our position on ISIS and the Israel/Palestine situation. The Middle East, as the current hotbed for tension will be the main focus of my tenure. More on that below.

We shouldn't treat China as if it is our rival. As it is one of the world's largest economies we should be making use of trade agreements, using free trade to encourage economic growth and maintain a stable political relationship with China. We should still take heed of suffering and repression within the nation and I would encourage debate on this with China.
The situation regarding Russia is slightly more tricky, but I also do not consider Russia to be a rival. I support reasonable economic sanctions against Russia until we are confident that the Ukraine Peace Deal is being met. We shouldn't forget that Ukraine itself is in violation of the agreements by refusing to withdraw its own forces from the Eastern provinces.

The Israel/Palestine situation is one I'm particularly interested in. We need to lead the effort in encouraging Israel to withdraw from all land that was occupied in the West Bank from the 1967 war. Land exchanges are not a viable solution. Israel must evacuate from occupied land completely, from those settlements that almost all nations on Earth have condemned as illegal. The UN has already agreed that they violate international law and we must enforce sanctions against Israel should they refuse to withdraw.

I believe that Atlasian military intervention in Iraq and Syria is unwarranted. Wars in the Middle East have not and do not work. The murder of 1 million Iraqis in the past decade has hardly helped encourage peace in the Middle East. People don't really like being invaded or "liberated", as some people like to call it.
ISIS is not a petty and foundationless movement, it is a formidable fighting force that is quite literally sweeping all that lies before it. It has tacit support from the significant Sunni minority in Iraq, as well as Saudi Arabia. Atlasian Military interventionism is only fuelling inter-community tension and violence, while at the same time encouraging ISIS's beheadings and hardly helping promote Atlasia's reputation among the Middle East. Iraq's neighbours need to decide between them what the ideal path is.
Another war in the Middle East with Syria and Iraq is not going to be short term. Are we really willing to repeat the mistakes of the past?

Iran is one of the most democratic nations in the Middle East. They vote to choose their own President and their own Parliament. Could we ever imagine such happenings in Saudi Arabia? That's something we need to take into account. Most of Saudi money lies in Western Banks! I don't see Iran posing any threat to world peace. The current regime has never initiated any military action against other nations, and has only been invaded itself. Iran should not be our worry. I would encourage co-operation between nations to withdraw some of the harsher economic sanctions against Iran; they are not necessary.

I strongly support it. We need to cut defence spending before all other things. I strongly applaud Clause 2, to encourage greater democracy in the UN. The unilateral veto for Security Council members needs to be abolished, and Atlasia should start by refusing to use hers. Co-operation needs to be promoted.

As I have already outline, I do support continuing with the cuts to the defense sector. The president and I agree that we need to reduce Atlasia's militarism and I think this is the way forward.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 07:50:52 AM »

Should the SOEA both be a narrator and an actor in his/her own story?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »

I agree with a fair amount of hifly's foreign policy views, with the exception of ISIS, unilateral action with the veto power and a few smaller things. But that's not my problem with the nomination. Someone's personal beliefs, even pretty disgusting ones like in the concentration camps thread should not be completely disqualifying. Hell, snowstalker is our AG. This is less true for roles which have a lot of leeway like SoIA SoEA and especially GM, but I still think it applies.

More importantly, in his time in the mideast and on the forum more generally hifly has been a controversial character, to say the least. To be SoEA you need to be able to work with people and I have not seen any evidence that the nominee is capable of this. Atlasia is in a lot of ways proof that people don't change. Napoleon, for instance, has always given up the job after holding it for a while, no matter the assurances.

Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 08:13:11 AM »

Furthermore, I support removing citizenship from any Atlasian citizen who joins ISIS or any foreign terrorist organisation.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 08:13:11 AM »

I agree with a fair amount of hifly's foreign policy views, with the exception of ISIS, unilateral action with the veto power and a few smaller things. But that's not my problem with the nomination. Someone's personal beliefs, even pretty disgusting ones like in the concentration camps thread should not be completely disqualifying. Hell, snowstalker is our AG. This is less true for roles which have a lot of leeway like SoIA SoEA and especially GM, but I still think it applies.

More importantly, in his time in the mideast and on the forum more generally hifly has been a controversial character, to say the least. To be SoEA you need to be able to work with people and I have not seen any evidence that the nominee is capable of this. Atlasia is in a lot of ways proof that people don't change. Napoleon, for instance, has always given up the job after holding it for a while, no matter the assurances.

All my bills, (Water Fluoridation, Illegal immigrants and abortion, and Marriage), have been controversial and certainly would not have passed had it not been for my ability to form working relationships with my fellow legislators. Despite ideological differences, I get on very well with Mechaman, Spiral and the present Executive leadership in the Mideast. Ideology is not a barrier to working relationships.
I certainly look forward to working with you, if you allow me to, senator.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 08:27:08 AM »

Of course I will. My stance on marriage is no indication of my stance on gay people and their plight around the globe. We need to continue condemnation of Russia's anti gay law and take heed of any deliberate targeting of LGBT people that ensues in current conflicts.

So, you're comfortable in ensuring LGBT people are not deliberately targeted in conflict and not targeted by other draconian laws. Which, obviously is a good thing. But you don't see a conflict in your desire to use taxpayer funds to undermine existing relationships here in Atlasia?

Also, how would you approach international treaties to do with same-sex adoptions across international borders?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 10:57:24 AM »

I doubt I will be able to support such a controversial character as Mr Hifly, I am sorry to say so.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 11:18:19 AM »

All my bills, (Water Fluoridation, Illegal immigrants and abortion, and Marriage), have been controversial and certainly would not have passed had it not been for my ability to form working relationships with my fellow legislators. Despite ideological differences, I get on very well with Mechaman, Spiral and the present Executive leadership in the Mideast. Ideology is not a barrier to working relationships.

Just to pick one example from there, the marriage bill passed after 24 hours of debate with no amendments and because DC happens to agree with it. I don't consider that a good example of having a good working relationship with political opponents.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »

So, you're comfortable in ensuring LGBT people are not deliberately targeted in conflict and not targeted by other draconian laws. Which, obviously is a good thing. But you don't see a conflict in your desire to use taxpayer funds to undermine existing relationships here in Atlasia?

Also, how would you approach international treaties to do with same-sex adoptions across international borders?

I don't see any conflict. My views on marriage stem mainly from semantics; I support same sex couples having the same full legal rights as any opposite sex couple would have.

I don't really understand your second query but if a nation allows same sex adoption then Atlasian same sex couples should be able to adopt children from that nation.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »

Just to pick one example from there, the marriage bill passed after 24 hours of debate with no amendments and because DC happens to agree with it. I don't consider that a good example of having a good working relationship with political opponents.

There was only one member who would vote against... And he would have voted against it regardless of how long it took to debate. The President would not have nominated me had he thought I was incapable of working relationships and serving Atlasia well. I encourage you to support me.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 11:58:57 AM »

I have no questions for the nominee and will be casting an 'Aye' vote in his favor.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 12:45:33 PM »

Concerned as I am with the proposals to continue to cut Defense spending and overall the dangerous route of weakening our defense sector (which I absolutely oppose and believe it's irresponsible), I would like to ask a follow up regarding ISIS, considering what happened yesterday in Germany and in the White House itself.

I don't believe anyone has really advocated for war in the sense of boots on the ground (and yet it's a common accusation against those of us who support aiding the Iraqi government), but military intervention in the sense of airstrikes is something that the administration itself has supported (at least at times, considering the abrupt reversals of positions we've seen so far).

The question is (and sorry if this was made clear earlier and I didn't notice), would you continue SoEA Nix's efforts to help the victims and the refugees and the current drone and airstrikes bombing campaign?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 01:08:21 PM »

You mentioned free trade agreements with the Chinese. Should not any agreement made with China, or indeed any other nation, be based upon its human rights record, especially with regard to how it treats the workers there? Should we not press for stronger policy with regards to cheap labor, not just for China, but for other nations as well?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 02:34:58 PM »

The question is (and sorry if this was made clear earlier and I didn't notice), would you continue SoEA Nix's efforts to help the victims and the refugees and the current drone and airstrikes bombing campaign?

I believe we have a humanitarian responsibility to help the refugees in Iraq. I strongly support continuing Nix's plan to direct foreign aid to help these victims of war. However, I cannot support continuing the current drone and aerial bombardments in the country. ISIS is undeterred and this is not a viable long-term strategy to follow. As I have outlined, a war in the middle east against ISIS is certainly not going to be short term; in my opinion it makes no sense to continue our present strategy.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 02:49:10 PM »

You mentioned free trade agreements with the Chinese. Should not any agreement made with China, or indeed any other nation, be based upon its human rights record, especially with regard to how it treats the workers there? Should we not press for stronger policy with regards to cheap labor, not just for China, but for other nations as well?

Or on the principle it would be economically suicidal, for a number of reasons?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »

When I mentioned that we need to take account of human rights in China I meant that when we come to trade agreements with the nation this needs to be dealt with at the same time. Any free trade agreement would have to be discussed with the President and members of the Senate. And yes, as somebody who strongly, strongly supports the rights of workers and organised Labor, as you know already, the welfare of workers in foreign nations is something that will be on my mind.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »

There was only one member who would vote against... And he would have voted against it regardless of how long it took to debate. The President would not have nominated me had he thought I was incapable of working relationships and serving Atlasia well. I encourage you to support me.

That's true, but it also means you can't use that bill as an example of you working with opponents.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »

That's true, but it also means you can't use that bill as an example of you working with opponents.

Would you like to work with me?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 04:31:49 PM »

What about your statements on zionism/Israel? Do you feel Israel, as a nation, has a right to exist?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies