Confirmation Hearing: Hifly15 for SoEA (Rejected)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:03:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Hifly15 for SoEA (Rejected)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Hifly15 for SoEA (Rejected)  (Read 2188 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 06:22:12 PM »

Why should Israel give up the land won in the Six Day War? This was a just war and as such they should be able to keep the land. Shouldn't the Arabs be obligated to lay down their arms and give up attacking Israel and accept the post-Day of Atonement War borders?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »

Israel has invaded and continues to occupy land illegally, in violation of international law. They are expanding without any indication of stopping. Palestinians were forced out of their homes, had their lands built on, and are not allowed to return.

In the long term, I hope for a single state solution to the Israel problem. The two state solution is clearly not working. We should support a secular and democratic state where Jews, Christians and Muslims live together within the same borders.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 12:17:02 PM »

There's another day, I think, but this was a very, very fine effort by hifly. One of the best Q-and-A sessions I have seen, really.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »

I just want to lend my two cents as a former SoEA, and urge the Senate to defeat this nominee.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 02:08:30 PM »

I just want to lend my two cents as a former SoEA, and urge the Senate to defeat this nominee.

You can keep your two cents. Please continue to be awful somewhere else.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »

Israel has invaded and continues to occupy land illegally, in violation of international law. They are expanding without any indication of stopping. Palestinians were forced out of their homes, had their lands built on, and are not allowed to return.

In the long term, I hope for a single state solution to the Israel problem. The two state solution is clearly not working. We should support a secular and democratic state where Jews, Christians and Muslims live together within the same borders.

What part of the 1967 or the Yom Kippur Wars were the Israelis the invaders? None. They were the ones attacked. They've offered citizenship to the Palestinians. The Palestinians have refused. They are not the ones breaking international law by expanding within their own territory. I have no idea why the international community is actively restricting a country from building on their own land even forcing the Israelis into giving up their land for "peace".
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 05:48:29 PM »

What in their history makes one think that Hamas would be any more cooperative with a single state then a with a two-state solution?

I like to remain somewhat balanced on this issue and recognize that Israel has gone too far at times and that has empowered the radicals in Palestine. At the same time Israel has to defend its people.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 10:15:47 PM »

What in their history makes one think that Hamas would be any more cooperative with a single state then a with a two-state solution?

I like to remain somewhat balanced on this issue and recognize that Israel has gone too far at times and that has empowered the radicals in Palestine. At the same time Israel has to defend its people.

I somewhat agree with this line of thinking. I don't think a one state solution is going to ever work. The best thing would be to work toward a two state solution that is fair to both sides, because both sides have legitimate grievance. The only way that situation will ever be handled properly is if there is independent arbitration that favors neither side.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 10:42:12 PM »

You can keep your two cents. Please continue to be awful somewhere else.

I have missed TNF's sass while I've been away! Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2014, 11:22:58 AM »

Woah. How will this be accomplished? It's difficult to have that area live in a secular state harmoniously. They'll be at war in no time.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2014, 11:39:34 AM by Senator Lumine (PPT) »

Two state solution not working? I'm sorry, what about the Superique Peace Plan that was put in motion and signed by both nations a couple of months ago?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »

If the President doesn't like your storyline or narrative, will you change it to make his Administration look good?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2014, 11:53:25 AM »

I somewhat agree with this line of thinking. I don't think a one state solution is going to ever work. The best thing would be to work toward a two state solution that is fair to both sides, because both sides have legitimate grievance. The only way that situation will ever be handled properly is if there is independent arbitration that favors neither side.

That pesky "Israel problem"... ah yes, the brutal rendition of Adolf Eichmann was unconcionable!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »

Why is there still talk of a solution for Israel/Palestine? Didn't Superique present a peace deal?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2014, 01:19:48 PM »

Why is there still talk of a solution for Israel/Palestine? Didn't Superique present a peace deal?

Yes, during my presidency, Superique and I reached an agreement for a 2 state solution for both sides. There is no need to go back and try for a one state solution again, because dynamics exist in that area that make a secular, one state solution nearly impossible, unless we are trying to start another war in that area.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »

Yes, during my presidency, Superique and I reached an agreement for a 2 state solution for both sides. There is no need to go back and try for a one state solution again, because dynamics exist in that area that make a secular, one state solution nearly impossible, unless we are trying to start another war in that area.

That's what I though throughout that whole debate. Why would people start to discuss over again things that were dealt with no longer than half a year ago? This is not necessary in my opinion.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 01:24:07 PM »

That's what I though throughout that whole debate. Why would people start to discuss over again things that were dealt with no longer than half a year ago? This is not necessary in my opinion.

I guess no one paid attention to our peace deal.. Tongue
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 01:30:13 PM »

I guess no one paid attention to our peace deal.. Tongue

Haha seems so Tongue
But, you-know-who certainly did, I somehow remember him, as usual when someone does he does not agree with (translation - always), bitching around "that's Isreal's rightful land; muh y 3v3wun ha13 1sra3l 1!1!!!!"
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 04:47:38 PM »

Senators, 72 hours have passed and a vote has been started. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2014, 04:48:51 PM »

Nay
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »

Nay
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2014, 10:34:44 PM »

I will not be supporting this appointment. I urge all Senators to vote against it, in order to expedite the process.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2014, 02:56:28 AM »

Aye
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22